What would you do? Opinions PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Chaos, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    I have a car and want to trade it in for a truck. I have been looking and waiting for the right one. I found the truck that I want tonight and am soooo torn on what to do. Reasons I want the truck: more utility[carrying bikes, snowboards, gear and the like], cheaper maintenance, possibly cheaper insurance, and well I think Tacomas are bad a$$. Reason I want to keep my car: well it's a BMW M3 and I love to drive it, and for nostolgic reasons. That said riding my bikes and snowboards have taken over as my passions and the M3 just doesn't cut it when it comes to utility. Since getting married and a baby due any day, I no longer need my boy racer mobile.
    I know what I need to do but I am having a hard time letting go :eek: . I had a chance back in January to trade in the car but the truck was the wrong color and the dealer would of had to order one to my spec which would have me wait about ~45 days[so they say]. So just by chance driving by my local dealer there it was parked begging me to trade for it.
    So what would you do?
    For those that have trucks/SUVs, do you ever wish you had a car? and for those of you that have cars, do you ever wish you had a truck? For those of you that have made the transition from a car to a truck/suv, do you ever regret it?
    thanks,
    -Rodel

2. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    Get the truck. You can't haul stuff in your car. Personally though, I'd like to get a car in addition to my truck. My personal vehicle is also my work vehicle, and weighs about 8400 pounds. I'd like to get a piece of crap car, throw a rack on top, and not be afraid to park it at the TH. Oh, and save money on gas too. I haven't been able to talk my wife in to letting me drive the Odyssey to the TH.

3. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Bro, I've never wished I had a car ever since I got my truck. Like you, my passions are mt. biking, snowboarding, bodyboarding/surfing. A car doesnt make sense for me to own. Folding down seats, and having to put on a bike rack and what not just sounds like a pain in the ass to me. Plus, I go offroading with other Ranger owners, not sure if u saw my thread a few days back. But, chances are, you'll love offroading too! You won't be able to haul ass back to the Holy Jim trailhead in your M3 the way you could in your Taco. You can even drive up to the Santiago Peak in the Taco too, try doing that in your M3 eh...

I say get rid of the car and get yourself the truck!!!

4. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

get the truck bub!! enough said!!:-s ands u bettaa belivee it!!:bang:

5. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    something to consider

I used to have a car and traded in for a nissan truck. I love it. Same reasons as you - suits my lifestyle better. No longer have to borrow a buddies truck to go to home depot. I ended up getting the king cab (extended cab).

The only thing I see with a pick up is I will have to trade in when I have a kid. Probably will still drive a truck but something that is more childseat friendly. Just a thought as I read you have a child on the way.

6. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    i was considering [for second or 2] a used beater truck as a second vehicle but ruled it out after crunching some numbers. i still have 2yrs till the car is paid off.

Dino,
    i did see that thread! that was pretty cool. having to put the Highline in the trunk of the M3 is a pain in the ass. My work requires us to park in a parking garage so i can't put it up on the roof rack during the week, that is such a pain :mad: I think i'll be going into the dealer tomorrow morning to see if i can make deal. I know i'm going to be raped with my trade in. I must remember to bring the vasoline so it doesn't hurt that bad :-s

strictly looking at a double cab. new vehicle must be childseat friendly.
    i really wasn't looking forward in trying to get a childseat in the back of the M3.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2006
  7. dukethenuke

dukethenuke Faster than you

Sales
    Home Page:
    I almost bought a new 4 runner at the beggining of the year, but with gas prices where they are right now I'm really happy I didn't get the 4 runner.

8. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    believe me... with premium prices where they are now, it's no fun filling the ~16gal tank on the M3 either, but being young, dumb and well you know... i bought the car anyway. There is a gaz guzzler tax for this model BMW, which was no fun to pay. My mpg is "averaging" around 18 so mileage isn't that great and that's babying the throttle... and that's no fun ](*,) . i don't think i can do much worse.

9. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Rodel, i have a 3 series like you and it blows getting the bike in and out of the trunk for each ride. it is nice leaving the bike in there all day and never having to worry about it, though. Well, i do love my beemer and i know you love yours, these truck guys have no idea how much fun "and trouble" you can get into in a BMW, so don't forget about that. I have toys similar to you that are useless with my current car setup, both me and the girl drive coupes.
    After having countless trucks with my previous job, different one every few months to build and then give it back, i love the SUV. You cant beat it, you can load it up with all the toys, it can tow the toys that have trailors, you can lock up all the stuff, its family friendly.
    But, It sounds like your mind is already made up. The only real option would be to get a beater type truck, maybe an older Toy, for when you want to play and keep the beemer for work and going out. Your gonna get killed on the trade in, so your giving away money there, and your gonna have a new payment with the new truck. The old beater you could probably pay cash for, minimal maintenace, cheap insurance, and could handle all your toys.

And whatever about gas you have to buy it, lots of it, no matter what you drive, its how our culture is and whatever car you buy really isn't going to change anything all that much.

Whatever the choice there will always be sacrafices and everyone has to live with them. GOOD LUCK

10. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    ahhhhh

i was waiting for you to weigh in with your thoughts!!! hahahaha
    well my mind is made up with what I would trade the M3 in for, but I haven't really made up my mind absolutely yet about the trade. I know i'm going to get killed on the trade. I'm just to lazy to try and sell it myself :p . I was considering an SUV but we already have one in the family [Sequoia]. The problem is my wife doesn't like driving my car... go figure :-s lol.
    When "we" go snowboarding, biking or whatever together we are using the SUV, but when i'm off on my own or my friends i'm stuck with the car. 19" wheels and low profile rubber don't mix well with snow and ice, nor much dirt. I absolutely LOVE DRIVING the M3.... and that's the problem I guess. I don't do much driving in it anymore. The only real chance i get is on my way home down the 73... and on the days that I ride thru MILF park and Aliso, then it's not much of a drive.

I know the expense for gas will always be there, not to worried about that but it's the other maintenance cost. The rubber only last about 20k miles, that translates into about $1400 every 1.5yrs. Just replaced the front brakes [rotors-cuz you can't turn these, pads, sensors and labor] was $780. The rears will have to be replaced in about 6mons... that'll cost me a bit more. Oil changes cuz i'm to busy doing other stuff to do it myself... Crevier charges about $160. I have the SMG and the mechs I take the car to now [no longer go to Crevier] say parts and labor for new clutch is definitely gonna hurt the wallet. It sucks being out of the maintenace warranty!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Kinda considering waiting till Jan 07 to see what the new Toyota Tundra is going to be like.... just not sure i want to play the waiting game to see if i'll need to replace the rear brakes before then.

thanks!!! :bang:

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'm on my third Toyota truck. I have 160,000 miles on this one and have only had one repair. (Cracked flywheel). All of my trucks have served me very well. I've got 300,000 miles or more on each one with only minor repairs. I do keep the maintenance up though to the mfr requirements. I'd consider the extended cab. Shorter bed, but you have more room for a car seat. My truck is not child seat friendly. But then you have a shorter bed.Mileage is okay, but I'm still looking at a car with good mileage. Maintenance on a beemer is just to much for me.Good luck, and spend as much time as you need researching it. You'll miss the car,but you'll love the truck too.

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Like Mike said, I am on my second Toyota Truck 230,000 on the first and still running strong when I sold it to a friend. My current Tacoma was $15,000 new, has over 100k and not one problem....replaced the brakes and tires one time.

In hind site I should have bought a four door but the extra 4-6k they wanted seemed like too much. Also I do not like to leave my bike in the truck bed unattended, yes I chain it up but it does not feel safe. With a 4 door I could alway put the bike in the back seat.

You already have a family car so I vote get what you want.

13. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    I spent $95 filling up my truck the other day. Cummins Turbo Diesel w/ a 35 gallon tank. I need to find me a 1987 Chevy Sprint.

14. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    ouch!!!
    my wife is trying to talk me out of the trade. she keeps telling me how much i'll miss my car :confused: :confused: :confused:

15. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    She may be right, but think of the trailheads that you could drive to in a truck that you never could in a car.

16. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    bikes, boards, dirt, mud = truck

17. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    I can't believe your wife doesn't like driving the M3, what a killer car. We're pretty lucky, I have a SUV for our play car, skiing, camping, biking, etc.. and our other cars are passenger vehicles. Mini Cooper and Saturn. We drive the reg. cars to work and load the SUV up for our play days. I think you're gonna miss the M3, don't do it. You already have a Sequoia, can't you work something out with your wife? Teach her how to really drive Beemer. I can't see her not loving it. Oh wait, is it a stick? Is that why she doesn't like it?

18. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I would agree with her on that. Like someone else said, just get like a used tacoma or soemthing maybe around a 2000 for pretty low dough these days and you can get it with 4wd for taking it off road and for going to the snow too. You know if you get rid of the M3 you will wish you still had it years down the road. Just use the M3 as a cruiser car or something and take it out on the weekends to go cruise and use the truck for commuting (help to save costs on tires and breaks for the M3). Nothing wrong with having more than one car these days and having insurance on just like a "toy" car isn't going to break your wallet.

19. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I highly doubt you'll miss your car. I haven't had a car in over 6 years. I've had minivans or SUV's and could never go back. My wife drives a Toyota Corolla and the few times I've had to drive it, I've hated it.

Plus, you can't run 4 trays on your car as easily:bang:
    [​IMG]

20. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    The beater and keeping the M3 is the best idea IMO.

I think there's a little difference between driving an M3 and a Corolla.