What tires for VQ/CC?(merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by rushak, Feb 20, 2008.

1. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    Amen. Expend your energy on training. That'll do more than any tire combo could.

Regardless...

*IF* I ride the 29er SS, it will be a 2.55 WeirWolf up front & a 2.1 Ignitor in the rear.

*IF* I ride the 26" full squish it'll be a 2.1 Velociraptor up front and a 2.0 Serfas Gator in the rear.

2. rp24hours

rp24hours New Member

Watch out for the Motorway

The Silverado Motorway is a rock garden that claims a lot of tires each year. This stretch of trail is common to VQ & CC riders.

I did my first of five consecutive VQs in 2004 on my Blur and on my SS from then on. I started out on the first VQ with a WTB Mutano Raptor on the front and an ExiWolf (then called the EpicWolf) on the rear. Ripped a sidewall on the Mutano Raptor. Same the next year.

Year three I switched to Kenda Nevegal 1.95s set up tubeless with Stan's. The tires were great for the conditions and since switching, have never had a tire issue. Ran good too in the mudpit we had a few years ago on Black Star.

Get a tire you feel comfortable with. I've seen them all out there too. Tires do not win events, but the wrong ones can definitely lose one.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

MOTOR TABS & Ladera Cyclery
    I'm not sure how it will work out, but I think I will be running a Conti Mountain King Supersonic 2.2 up front and a Conti Supersonic Speed King 2.2 on the rear.

I like light tires and I like the rubber compound the Conti's are made of.

4. sailcalifornia

sailcalifornia Member

Last year i ran a crossmark in the back and an ignitor up front, both 2.1's and both tubeless. I was extremely satisfied with this tire combo, it is also what i run at southridge. Normal riding on the Yeti I run Ignitors front and rear and throw the better rolling crossmark on for racing.

I have to say tubeless is the way to go. Knock on wood ;)

5. boboso

boboso Getting back on the bike.

Project Manager
    Again, thanks all... yeah the orginal thought was on tires as I was due for a change and thought better get something that will work well as I have not been on these trails for a while...

Then the thought hit mid-post - well why not have some of the "done its" (you) give some thoughts and suggestions for the "doing its" (me).

I know training/health is the key and equipment is secondary to that and appriciate all the, and I am serious here, expert advice that is being given.

PS - went back to a WTB Mutano 2.4 (f) and am trying the Spec. Captain (2.0). Flatting both yesterday on Rock-it and the Captian (prob due to lack of pressure and hand pumping) again on Coyote. Neither tire had any issues, and tubes were installed fine... older tubes used and probably a bit under pressure for my fat ass... When I was running them with the correct pressure, they felt "skecthy"

PSS - Hammer Heed rocked my world yesterday (see old threads can work).

Let us know how these work out. I am interested in Conti new line up specially the Race King 2.2. The sidewalls scare me as this new line is scary light.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2008
  6. Chris

Chris New Member

MOTOR TABS & Ladera Cyclery
    I am running the Supersonic Mtn King 2.2 front and rear, tubeless, and I have had no problems at all. I want to try the Race King because it looks like a faster tire. I will let you know how it works out when I mount em up.

7. ryanzilla

ryanzilla Racer in Training

Home Page:
    as long as it isnt muddy, i will be using a crossmark ust front, larsen tt ust rear on a sc superlight!

8. Butcher

Butcher aka Randy

Sales
    What width?

9. HTrider

HTrider My HT will eat your FS

Student, FedEx
    What about crossfire xc 2.1s are those any good for cross country racing on a hard tail??

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Sorry, but don't know the Crossfire XC 2.1 is? :?:

11. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    After trying out different set ups. I finally decided to go with this same set up. The Small Block hooks up nice on the climbs and the Mutano holds the lines on the descents.

I've ridden the Main Divide what seems a hundred times. Dry and loose, wet and muddy and there is not one tire that is the best.

It's all about personal preference and how you ride. For me, I will give up traction for speed, but the next person may not and go for a knobbier tire for the descents down the Motorway, Holy Jim (upper and lower) and Trabuco.

12. Fookawi

Fookawi Climb more Mountains

I have completed 3 VQ's and started 5(mechanicals)
    I was very happy with the Mutano Raptor 2.4 on the front and the Larsen TT max on the back (low Rolling resistance) I have now got a Specialized something or other "lust" on the back and that gives me better traction on those corners on the main divide..
    I usually managed to do two months training and the race on the same tires. I have Stans fluid in both wheels with the Crossmax XL tubeless rims. Stans has saved the day on at least three occasions.
    Cheers
    Mark Cluttey

13. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

Last year I was looking for light and good traction more than toughness. I heard people say that the Motorway would eat up tires, but it really matters how smoothly you ride. I was on my singlespeed and needed something that would hook up pedaling out of the saddle and be light because I wasn't going to be able to make my bike lighter anywhere else that would compare to losing rotational weight.
    I always liked Nevegals and Blue Grooves, but thought they were all heavy until I found the Blue Groove Lite-DTC 26x2.00 at 451 grams. Super-light and with killer traction. Unless you are sloopy on your descents and like to plow through the sharpest rocks, they should handle 56.5 miles.
    BTW, I weighed about 180, maybe 190 with my gear and I had no flats and I would consider myself fast as a descender, so it's not like I'm some 135 pound XC racer that walks the tech stuff.
    Good Luck out there. Padre is right, training will help more than a couple hundred grams a wheel. I'm sure Manny would be able to ruin all of us on any tire combo on any bike.
    He'd probably break 6 hrs. on one of these:
    [​IMG]

14. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    Since my last post I've decided to go with the rigid 29er SS for the CC. As of now my set up is the 2.55 WeirWolf up front and a Schwalbe 2.25 Racing Ralph on the rear. It's the combo from heaven on the SS.

I've heard complaints about the Ralph's weak side walls, but I have been EXTREMELY happy with it.

15. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    You mean it held up well to the extreme rigors of one time around the Fully Loop?!
    #-o

:lol:

16. Waldo

Now that we've had rain, snow, wind...

So now that we've had plenty of rain & snow & wind (when should we expect the locusts?), is anyone changing their tire choices?

Does anyone have a recommendation if we get rain/snow a day or two before? What single tire works well in Blackstar mud, Main Divide hardpack, Motorway gravel, Maple Springs blue groove, and santiago Peak snow & ice?
    :?: :lol:

17. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I'm still going with Mutano Raptor 2.4 for the front and Kenda SB8 for the rear. If Black Star is muddy, I'm picking my bike up and walking it through till I can ride again. I'm not spending any time cleaning it off tires and drive train. As far as the snow/ice...,:?:

18. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.

Carry chains?:lol:

I'm going back to my Hutchinson Python 2.1s unless something really changes in the next 2 weeks. Light, tubeless, low rolling resistance, they've held remarkably well, and i'm pretty well acquainted with their grip characteristics.

19. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I thought the same thing about mud. Just going to run the same light tires but bring a brush/scraper.

20. Waldo

Good idea. I just gave my CamelBak its annual bath and inventoried everything so I'd know what I did/didn't really need for CC day. It'll be lighter and leaner than normal, so maybe I'll throw in a lightweight brush/scraper, just in case there's major goop out there.

I'm still trying to find the right tire balance. It's been a tough month for tire experiments. Seems like every couple of rides the conditions go from flawless to horrendous to "Oh crap, I gotta do another road ride." #-o