What tires for VQ/CC?(merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by rushak, Feb 20, 2008.

1. rushak

rushak Huge Member

Home Page:
    I'm trying to decide on what size/type of tire to run on the VQ this year. I normally ride Nevegal 2.35's in the front and a 2.1 in the back. I was thinking of running a smaller tire (2.0 or 1.9) in the front and back for the race. I still haven't decided on what type of rubber yet. What is everyone else planning on running?

2. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    As always I would count on loose and dry, so it could be disastrous to alter your setup without ample time to adjust. If you want to gain some speed or less rolling resistance just add ten extra PSI or so and deal with the discomfort.

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm having to run a new front tire due to sidewall slash and am nervous about not being able to test it out at all in similar conditions.

If you're set on smaller, maybe try a 2.1 in the front also. At least it's similar!

4. rushak

rushak Huge Member

Home Page:
    That is a good thought.

5. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    If I stick with my 26" bike - Specialized Eskar 2.3(F) and Captain 2.0(R).

If for some reason, I feel like riding a 29er, they'll have Bontrager Dry X's (maybe).

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

When it comes down to VQ/CC.......rolling resistance is going to be the biggest issue. Tires that do not roll fast will zap your energy. There is very little technical riding in contrast to the amount of climbing that you will be doing. Most of your time is made up on the climbs, not the descents.

I have found that smaller knobby tires are great for this.

Kenda SB 8's 2.35 or 2.1
    WTB Nanoraptor 2.1
    WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4

Lightweight and fast rolling tires are the best option. The Nevegals have a ton of traction, but they are kinda a dog when it comes to pedalling....especially over that distance.

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Just be cautious about running too light a tire. They often have thin sidewalls, and if you rip one going down Motorway (if you are doing CC), or Holy Jim (if doing VQ) it could cost valuable time getting yourself back rolling, and having to worry about an aneurysm if your boot doesn't hold well.

That is my biggest problem.. I'm running a heavier tire that I have no experience with since the light tires I like are too light for Justin to have any faith in them on race day. I'll be trying to haul down Motorway, UHJ, HJ, etc.

8. rushak

rushak Huge Member

Home Page:
    What about the idea of running a Kenda SB 2.1 in the rear and keep the Nevegal 2.35 in the front? I think this would be a good compromise between traction and speed.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

You should have no problems doing that......just run the Nevegal with more pressure than you usually do.

10. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

Excellent question and advice, Trabuco is famous for flats and Motorway sounds like it may have some rough patches too. I have flatted a few times down Trabuco. I am currently running a WTB Mutanorapter 2.4 in the front and a Kenda Small Block 8 1.9 in the back, but I will switch to the 2.4 Mutanorapter front and back for VQ. They are fairly light (565 grams) and they are great for pinch flat protection. I will probably run around 45 PSI (really high for me) If you run tires smaller than 2.0, I would crank up the pressure a bit.

11. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I dropped from 2.35" Minion (F) and Ignitor (R) down to 2.1" of the same set up in prep for VQ. If you haven't changed it yet, I might do it verrrrrry soon.

I front-flatted on one of our training rides (going down Eagle) with the 2.1"s.

12. LoisMustDie

LoisMustDie Beer! How did you know?

This has me thinking that I should bag drop some spare tires and tubes incase of a rip or multiple flats. I would hate to DNF because of a ripped tire...not likely but that would blow! :lol:

13. ThinkFast

ThinkFast Member

Self Employed
    I'll be running a 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph in the front and a 2.0 S-Works Captain in the back. I'm going with less rolling resistence this year. I also switched over to tubeless. I'll be pulling the Schwalbe off the rim ASAP after the Pow Wow though, not enough tread for me.

14. freewheeler

freewheeler Looking for new trails

Watch the small tires

Trabuco is famous for flats and Motorway sounds like it may have some rough patches too. I have flatted a few times down Trabuco. I am currently running a WTB Mutanorapter 2.4 in the front and a Kenda Small Block 8 1.9 in the back, but I will switch to the 2.4 Mutanorapter front and back for VQ. They are fairly light (565 grams) and they are great for pinch flat protection. I will probably run around 45 PSI (really high for me) If you run tires smaller than 2.0, I would crank up the pressure a bit.[/quote]

I tried out a 1.9 on the back a couple of weeks ago. It was great going up, BUT I flatted twice going down Trabuco (even with STANS!) and it was washing out on all of the downhills. It felt terrible and sapped my confidence going downhill.

15. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

"When it comes down to VQ/CC.......rolling resistance is going to be the biggest issue. Tires that do not roll fast will zap your energy. There is very little technical riding in contrast to the amount of climbing that you will be doing. Most of your time is made up on the climbs, not the descents."
    :clap:

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Man. See, i LOVE that tire! But, Justin says no after my slice. :( I can put it back on AFTER the pow wow, though #-o

17. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

???

How many tires have you sliced?

18. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I think two. One ignitor on the rear while descending ITT, and the RR at SJT.

I did manage to open up a Nevegal 2.35 on my Enduro in Kernville (front), and again a few months ago on the rear at Noble.

All tubeless, BTW. The setups, not necessarily the tires.

19. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Holy cow, Allison, I think I have sliced one tire in my entire life (on Los Pinos... before the trail work)... don't make this a habit!:lol:

20. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Crickey. You're a regular Jack the tire ripper.