what tires do you use?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by LBmtb, Mar 10, 2005.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I currently have 2.35" Kenda Kinetics (pretty heavy @ 8xx grams) and was wondering what you guys have and if you like them or not.

I've heard good things about a kenda blue groove(front)/nevegal (rear) combo but it's still semi heavy.

I also have maxxis 2.1 high rollers but didn't use them too much. I might slap one of those in the rear and see if I like it.

2. mtnbikerdude87

mtnbikerdude87 Huh?

Right now I am running WTB mutano 2.4 in the front and Panaracer Fire Xc Pro 2.1 in the rear. The Mutanos has a large volume and runs great. The Panaraces are pretty good in the rear and has great traction. The only problem: MUD. I got lots of it doing the turnbull night ride. Plus I got a cut in the tire not so long ago. The only thing keeping it from getting to my tube is a tire patch (used to be duct tape). Lets see how that goes.

Im currently thinking about picking up 2.1 weirwolfs since Ive been riding in a lot of rocky conditions. From what Ive been reading I hear they hook up well in the rocks. Ill see how they do.

Also I want to try out Schwalbe Racing Raplhs. Ill probably go with 2.24 in the front and 2.1 in the rear. Use these as mainly my racing tires.

3. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

Specialized Rollx (for back tire, light and has held up well)
    Specialized Enduro (with sticky rubber, great traction but wears fast)
    WTB Mutanowrapter 2.4's (light, durable nice traction, long life)
    Hutchinson Python Air Lite's (very skinny, only 485 grams, good traction but can tears easier than all of the above)
    Geax Sedona 2.25 (very big for a 2.25 with low knobs=super grip on dry trails)
    Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 (the best traction so far, but almost 700 grams and not very Stans friendly)

I have Panny FR 2.4's on my Bullit. Low weight for a freeride tire. These are working great on the soft trails this winter. When it dries up and gets loose again I will need to switch. Any suggestions? (other than maxxis).

4. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I'm running Blue Groove's on the front of my FXR and 67. On the 67 I'm running a 2.5 Weirwolf in the back with a 2.5 Blue Groove in the front. I wish Kenda made their dual compound tires in bigger sizes than 2.1....then I'd run those in the rear also. I've tried the 2.4 Panaracers and as a rear tire it absolutely blows imo, good front tire though. My favorite combo was the Blue Groove in front w/ a Nevegal in the rear....but the stick-e rubber in the rear just has too much rolling resistance and feels very slow.

5. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

hey dude

is that 2.5 blue groove stan's compatible?

6. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I haven't tried it on the 2.5 yet, but have done my 2.35.....just took a LONG time to get it to seal up properly.

7. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    I've been running Mutano 2.4's f/r on my dually, but need to switch them to Weirwolf 2.3's for the wet season. The big Mutanos are great tires except in mud.

I run an Onza Honch 2.1 and a Mutano 2.4, r/f, on my SS, but switched to a 2.1 Velociraptor rear and some other 2.1 WTB for the front during the wet season. Big paddles on the back and narrow, knobby fronts seem to be the ticket in mud for the SS.

I just got some swank, flame-tread Nirve 2.125 tires for one of our cruisers... Now we're talking!

8. i am dino

i am dino Guest

2.5 Weirwolf in the front
    2.3 Weirwolf run backwards in the rear.

Best combo I've ever used.

9. mtnbikerdude87

mtnbikerdude87 Huh?

anyone tried out the 2.1 weirwolfs? Im thinking about picking them up to replace my panaracer. I just got back from a ride and I got another flat from the cut in the tire. Looks like the tire patch was been worn down and the tube is rubbing the the dirt (not good). Ill probably run these with my 2.4 mutanos in the front. Ill see how they do at my race this sunday.

10. jinks

jinks New Member

Home Page:
    I run 2.4 Mutano Raptors up front with 2.1 ExiWolf's in the back. I simply asked Brandi at The Path what tires he would run on my bike and I took his advice. The best setup I've ever riden. the 2.4's up front give me alot of confidence in cornering fast, and the ExiWolf's have great traction too. Love em!

11. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

i have the same set up that I got from the Path, very satisfied!

12. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Might look into getting the wtb mutano's . . .

13. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    I have mythos xcs but i havnt had them long enough to evalulate on their performance. But so far so good

14. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

I was trying to find this thread a couple days ago.

Weight weenies beware of the Mutanowrapter. I just got one that weighs almost 800 grams(200 grams too heavy). I still like the tire but I will weigh it in the shop before I buy one next time.

15. rronzio

rronzio New Member

Tires

Im riding WTB mutano 2.4 in the front and Panaracer Fire Xc Pro 2.1 in the rear. It was a reccomendation from the path in tustin. It's worked out great for me so far. The only time Im not so excited about my setup is in deep mud.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I use a minion front and highroller rear, both 2.3's

17. i am dino

i am dino Guest

200 whole grams!!! daaaaaang, i've taken leaks before that i'm sure weighed more than that. :lol:

j/k man, it was cool meeting you at aliso (near the Meadows mud bog) a couple weeks back.

18. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

200 whole grams!!! daaaaaang, i've taken leaks before that i'm sure weighed more than that.  :lol:    

j/k man, it was cool meeting you at aliso (near the Meadows mud bog) a couple weeks back.[/quote]

I am pretty anal about the weight of my XC bike. Light tires make the biggest difference IMO.

19. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Re: Tires

Panny 2.4 in front, IRC Trailbear in the rear.
    That IRC is durable! I really like this combo.

20. i am dino

i am dino Guest

you would know more than i would. i dont really have much concern for "grams" of weight on my bike.