Road Ride Report What? Sunday Path ROAD RIDE?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by maxwell, Feb 8, 2010.

1. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Yep, that's right.

With all the wet weather causing wet trails, we took the responsible route, and hit the road.

We met up at The Path at our regular meeting time. I had brought my Kaboom, and Rabi was on his way with his cross bike. Dan and Jon neither one had road bikes, so the guys at the shop did a one time "free-bee" for the guys, letting them both demo Specialized road bikes.
    And since I was on my single speed, Joel showed up on his too.
    By the time all the pedals were swapped, and paper work was filled out, Rabi decided it was best if he just went ahead and clocked in, and stayed at the shop.

Thanks for getting the guys all set up Rabi!
    [​IMG]

One of these bikes is NOT like the others!
    [​IMG]

We rode from The Path and jumped onto the Peters Canyon paved bike route, to the Newport Back Bay.

All the recent weather made the bike path more interesting than normal. There was a few inches of sand in some of the underpasses, and quite a bit of water in some of the others.
    Oh yeah, how could I forget the wall rides over the sandy sections too!

A motley pace line....
    [​IMG]

and some cool water crossing!
    [​IMG]

Once we got down to the back bay, we looped up into a little view point park. I'd been a while since I'd ridden down here. They added a nice new Soldier Memorial.

Very cool!
    [​IMG]

After hanging out a few minutes, we decided to get back on the bikes. I have to say, the weather ended up perfect, which made for some great views!

[​IMG]

After seeing the Santiago Peak back behind us, and looking so far away, I started to get some ride ideas.

Anyone want to do a REAL mountains to the sea ride?
    [​IMG]

I know I had a great time just doing something different.
    And I'm pretty sure I heard both Jon, and Dan mention something about purchasing road bikes.

It won't take the place of riding in the dirt for me, but it's a pretty good alternative, when the trails need a break.

We're riding the same route on Wednesday morning if anyone wants to come along! Too Freak'n Early Road Ride

2. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    NICE! I love the "staying true to your core values" wearing the baggies and riding with your knees out! (Bianchi at the rear) Great wind resistance training...thanks for the shots, I'm jealous. (Tani will love seeing the Tarmac's cruising through BB deep run-off~Ha!)

3. thephat

thephat Active Member

I actually do love it. No sarcasm.

4. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    Big thanks to The Path guys for hooking me up with a road demo! :clap: It was my first time riding a road bike and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Stand up and sprint on one these machines and they take off like a rocketship, the acceleration is amazing and it was fun to peg people back on the few climbs and rollers we had. Water crossings are always fun on any bike :bang:

I don't see a road bike in my future, but I am thinking pretty hard about a cross bike so I can have something that's still dirt friendly :-k