What is the ONE thing you MUST have for a road race?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by GeorgiaOfTheJungle, May 17, 2009.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

If you said bike, you're wrong.

So, took my bike in last Thursday, needed it by Saturday for a race on Sunday. Sunday morning, no bike. What's a girl to do?

Why, steal the hubby's bike of course!

We slammed down John's saddle, I spun it around the neighborhood, then we headed out to Ontario. I warned EVERYONE not to follow my wheel--the brakes stop on a dime (vs mine that slowly brake to a crawl), the shifters are SRAM red (vs mine, Shimano Ultegra), stuck in the big ring of a regular crank (vs mine, a compact), finally, the bike was a bit large (John is 6ft, I'm 5'9).

After the race, I learned a few things: I kinda like the SRAM reds, Storcks ROCK, and I think it's time for a bike upgrade--poor John #-o

I managed to squeak out a 5th from a pretty quick little race. What a blast!

2. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    Congradulations on your race.As for the upgrades....My wife usually says,"whats yours is mine".:eek: Wonder what she means by that? :?: :lol: -Lloyd :wave:

3. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    What is a Storcks? And congrats for sure!!

4. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

Storck: http://storckbicycle.com/usa/index.php?c=bicycles
    Fun little bike with a nice stiff back end (who doesn't like a stiff back end). The plus, it really does take all your power to the pedals, the downside, EVERY bump is like a rocket launcher.

It worked great in the crit, accelerating with the slightest stroke and cornered with just a tilt, sticking like magic in each turn. Just an all out blast!

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'm starting to see more and more of these. Mostly at crits but I don't think I could do that. A friend bought one recently and got a deal (paid 9 grand) then proceeds to take it to the local crit (Ontario) and races it. He got a second with his best finish before that was a fifth. Still I couldn't help but think I could of bought a new car for what I paid for this bike.

6. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Cool! Congratulations!:clap:

7. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

His is the Absolutist, and it is a crash replacement (Dana Point Crit--he was the black bundle at the base of the haystack http://www.ocregister.com/photos/race-grand-residents-2376619-year-prix/pid2376622 ). Not close to $9K, not even retail (thank goodness). We got a great deal from Sand Canyon Cyclery the first time, too. :)

If I got one, I'd have to find my way onto the Vanderkitten team....maybe they need a water girl?!?!?!? heeheeh

8. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Salesman Section 42 LIHTC
    That crash looks expensive twisted and broken carbon and aluminum. Congrats on your race finish, nice job. I have a friend looking to get into road biking and doesn't even know where to start. Me I'm into the mtb thing, roads are for cars and harleys. :lol: