What do you carry with you on ride/Whats in your Camelbak?(merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frozen208, May 30, 2006.

1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Excellent advice above, to me it is more important to take a good attitude and a willingness to have fun. It is great to be self reliant on the trail and be able to repair your own flats...I doubt you will be riding deep into the woods your first day out...so the worst that will happen is you walk back to the car.

Prepare to fall, prepare to get hurt, prepare to have the girls out there ride better than you do, prepare to get frustrated that you are not strong enough to climb what everyone else does with ease, prepare to not have the balls to go down stuff others do. Just go easy, have fun and don't get frustrated, nothing makes you a better rider than saddle time. My first day out my friends took me down Rockit in Aliso Woods saying it was a beginner trail...it was not a good experience.

2. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

Excellent advice Dean, only thing I would add...take Dean!

3. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    A couple tubes and some pumps. Leather pumps actually and some black hose.
    Don't forget the lube!

4. Dune66

Dune66 The Sleeper has Awakened!

N/A
    We should have a noob's check list posted here somewhere.

5. polonia2

polonia2 New Member

I have to 2nd Pain Freak. Carry all those things with you. Problem is it gets heavy very quick. Try to ride somewhere other mountain biker rides occasionally. That way if anything bad happen (hopefully not) others can help. ericfoltz is correct. Find friends to ride with you. Hopefully, he knows the trail well. Getting lost is not fun. Especially when its 20 miles off the trail (like me) and you have to make u-turn. Suddenly, you are in situation where you have to ask people for direction. At this point water will be your best friend.

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

We do - a sticky thread at the top of this forum. I merged these threads to keep the info together.

7. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
  8. Dune66

Dune66 The Sleeper has Awakened!

N/A
    I didn't even know what "sticky" was till now. Be cool if there was a Noob tab Things you sould know before you ride??

9. drksun

drksun New Member

Here are the basics I bring, I've only been riding for a few months and I haven't had to use any of it. I really need to practice fixing a chain though. I really need to convert to tubeless before i get my 1st flat :).

Crank Brothers Multitool with chain cutter
    Crank Brothers Power Pump (Would take ad least 15 mins to fill a tube, I really need a CO2 pump)
    Crank Brothers Tire Lever
    Pack of 2 Bell Tire Levers (I have narrow rims and the CB lever is cheaply made but works well)
    Spare 26" Tube
    110 Lumen LED Flashlight
    Light Weight Wind Breaker (When its cold, or the Santa Ana Mountains)
    100 oz Water
    Cliff Bar

I need to make a small kit for longer remote rides where I include some first aid supplies + quickclot, and some survival gear such as water purification, emergency bivy, and fire starting tool.

10. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Member

I probably replied to this already somewhere in the previous 13 pages but I want to add Neosporin if I didn't have it before. Good stuff.

11. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    Rear Derailleur hanger.

Just wanted to give a reminder to even the best and most experienced riders that a RD hanger should be in your camel bak. It just might save you ride or your life.

12. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Roger that!

13. bing!

bing! Active Member

one hour ride - no camelbak. no tools. no tube. just a water bottle.

multi hour ride - camelbak, multi-tool, patch kit, tube, chain links, 3 co2 carts and nozzle, first aid kit and water spiked with energy powder.

14. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    Depends on the ride but always use a camelback regardless,since my bike has only one bottle mount.
    In town or local (Bako or Isabella), camelback mule, Co2 cartridges(3), 3 tubes, mutli tool, hand pump, shock pump, 4 tire levers, med box full ofsmall parts such as cleats, cleat bolts, master links, chain link, hanger,various bolts in difference size and 2 cables.
    Out of town or BFE:Camelback Transalp, spare tire, 100 ounces of extra water if needed, food,bigger box of spare parts, hand tools, lubes and everything else mentioned above.

15. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    Haven't been on the forum in ages but saw the thread bumped. Here's my current list of stuff. I've tried narrowed it down over the last few years if you can consider adding stuff narrowing down.

On the bike I carry a small bag under the saddle that gets swapped out between the 26 and 29er and contains a bike multi-tool, spare 26" tube, sometimes a compact CO2 inflator if racing, tire levers, a partial roll of electrical tape, 9-speed SRAM PowerLink, a 10-speed KMC Missing Link, tiny pack of self-adhesive tire patches, a pair of nitrile gloves and sometimes a compact Leatherman-like pliers multi-tool on longer rides. This is complemented by a small Lezyne tire pump attached to the bottle cage area.

All water is carried in one of two Camelbaks depending on quantity needed for ride: one 3L bladder in a Mule NV or on longer rides a 3L and 1.5L bladder in an older HAWG. In addition to any energy bars type stuff I also keep some zip ties, a plastic zip-lock bag with a few paper towels (good for use with tape as an emergency Band-Aid), extra nitrile gloves, some Velcro straps, a tiny LED flashlight and batteries (can be used strapped to helmet in emergency), an extra tube or two depending on the ride location, sometimes a spare chain, compact chain tool, and a zip-lock bag with cell phone, emergency contact card with blood type, insurance card, ID, cash and a credit card. For night riding I also keep the battery pack for my helmet-mounted light in there.

If I was doing anything technical I'd probably add a derailleur hanger as suggested. The current list may be a touch overkill but if I'm an hour out from home I'll deal with some extra weight rather than hike-a-bike.

16. antifret

antifret Member

What do you carry?

What kind of equipment do you carry on a ride? What weapons do you carry for threats (mountain lions, homeless people, agro roadies)? Say it's a 25+ mile ride in a National Forest. I got a mule with 100 liters of water, tire levers, multitool, Cold Steel SRK survival knife, did have a folding knife on front strap for easy access to dispatch any predators quickly but it fell off recently on a ride, a mini first aid kit, food, electrolytes, wallet, and cell phone.

Considering adding a water filter, fire starter, paracord, emergency blanket (aluminum foil looking thing not wool), bear spray, signal mirror and some sort of blunt force weapon (like a police night stick in case I see a coyote or aggressive hiker's dog I can just whack it in the head).

Also those of you that carry knives, how do you carry them. Pocket carry is no bueno as you shouldn't have anything in your pocket period in case of a crash. Front strap of camelbak wasn't very secure but am looking into getting a camelbak with MOS on front straps and then attaching a small fixed blade. I have also read about people attaching to bike itself but have yet to see any illustrations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014