Water Works

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by wizard, Feb 12, 2013.

1. wizard

wizard tradersancho's dad

Chemist
    Dropped into Water Works this afternoon and discovered that someone has cleared the jumps and fenced the area off. I must admit it does look better. I wonder who is responsible for this area and how they get a bobcat down there!
    water works jumps.jpg

2. FijiRob

FijiRob Member

I dropped in as the work was underway a week or two ago. I chatted with the OC Parks employee who said although they are not technically responsible for that particular trail they were going to maintain it. They will replant native species behind the fencing. Should be really nice once it grows in. He also said it was not illegal to ride! Super stoked because I love that 0.6 miles of single track bliss.

3. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

i thought the jumps were fun...but it was kind of dirty down there hopefully the fence comes down once the wild life grows.

4. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    looks dangerous. I do not like riding fence lines. There is a couple miles of ridge on Millennia with rusty barb on one side. It gets overgrown and the actual fence line hides in the scrub. That trail is screaming fast, it could get a bit ugly.

5. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    The fences only line the beginning section after the drop in from the street.
    Once the flowy single tracks begin, it's all trail.
    Sultan at Waterworks.jpg

6. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Been riding that area almost 4-5 times per month. That area always smelled like weed every time I dropped in. Trash cans, old bikes, shovels, etc. I guess they are just trying to keep it "clean".

7. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Is the fence "electrified"?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
  8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Buzz kill! what are boys to do these days when they can't dig in the dirt and ride their bikes. I suggest they start breaking into houses to get $ for drugs.

9. FijiRob

FijiRob Member

Oh, the kids are resilient. They already started digging across Oso near the apartments.

10. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    There are more by the firehouse.

11. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    Nice work OC Parks. I love that trail but was always a little creeped out back by the jumps.

12. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Never had any problem with the jumps themselves, just never liked all the trash that people left behind. And once or twice, they added features to the trail itself - an interesting surprise when you think you know the trail like the back of your hand!

It's interesting that several months ago, during a discussion about a desire for a proper, legal and sanctioned bike park in OC, I was told there are plenty of places to practice skills. Well, this is what happens when the powers that be discover those places. Someone even had the audacity to tell me that those jumps weren't torn down by the county, but by the jumpers themselves. Myself, I wondered where the jumpers got a Bobcat. Now the jumpers have even put up a fence!

My main concern about the jumps was that if someone got hurt, it would threaten the trail. I was actually kind of glad to see the fence lining the trail, because I knew that WW itself wasn't going to be blocked off. Glad OC Parks is protecting it.

Actually, when the jumps were first knocked down several months ago, I was trying to figure out how to make a pump track through there. Not an option now, I guess!

13. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

More jumps leveled.....sucks

I used to love hauling ass down that downhill, hitting a couple of those jumps then flying through that awesome singletrack

14. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday New Member

It's never good when a rider puts shovel to dirt and then is torn down. The jumps didn't impede the use of the trail, sucks for those dudes for sure. Although I did thoroughly enjoyed the maintenance on the entire trail this morning. They did a great job. If only we could get a few track bridges going down on the river crossings. The temps out in the early morning feel so good with wet socks

15. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

I still can't find waterworks grrrrr. Anyone want to point out where it is on google maps?
    I was going to say s.t.u.p.i.d.a.s. removed the jumps like they did in t-creek/arroyo, but I guess not.

16. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday New Member

17. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Waterworks, named for it's proximity to the Santa Margarita Water District office, is off Antonio & Oso, and is marked on Google Maps as Trabuco Trail

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=anti...Pkwy,+Las+Flores,+Orange,+California&t=h&z=16

If you want to hit it repeatedly, you can take Trabuco Creek Rd back to the paved connector up to Oso Pkwy. Better yet, tack on some of Ladera Ridge, accessed off Oso just east of Antonio.

Man, the surfer in me is used to keeping spots on the lowdown and is screaming to not give locations, but Waterworks is anything but a secret anyway, so enjoy!

18. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    jumps in Ladera Ranch are in front of the fire station, hidden. great ride at night.