Watch your A$$!!! There are more like this one

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by SAR_boats, Apr 11, 2009.

1. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Just read this article by some asshat yuppie who is attending MSU. Remember to ride defensively when on the road. And when that doesn't work, f*ck it, ride offensively.

http://statenews.com/index.php/article/2009/04/bicyclists_need_to_stay_on_sidewalk

Bicyclists need to stay on sidewalk

Zack Colman
    Black 2001 Saturn SC2. That’s the car I drive — and if you’re a bicyclist on the road but not in a bike path and you see my car, I hope you’re wearing a helmet, because I might run you over.
    Maybe not intentionally.
    But you see, with all these things I can do in my car nowadays, such as choose a different song on my iPod, send a text message while driving or fall asleep at the wheel because I had to wake up for a worthless 8 a.m. biology lab, I might not notice you.
    And, considering you are where you should not be, I might hit you.
    The simple fact of the matter is, MSU has so kindly provided sidewalks for people on foot and Rollerblades, and MSU’s ordinance should be revised to require bicyclists be there too. The university has outlined bike paths on certain roads, but bicyclists can’t just create imaginary bike paths like they do.
    I cannot drive my car on the sidewalk, so why must you ride your bicycle where I drive?
    Many of my friends ride bicycles on campus, so I’m not trying to berate a whole demographic of students. I appreciate bicyclists who advocate environmentalism, since they are making up for the damage I do with my car.
    I respect bicyclists who use bicycles as a form of exercise, since people certainly can never get enough fitness in their everyday routines.
    But for as much as I respect and appreciate bicyclists, I will not hesitate to honk at them when they are interfering with the roads.
    My concern is not merely about inconvenience.
    Bicyclists on the road are a driving hazard to people in automobiles, since many bicyclists make turns without using hand signals and ride too close to other vehicles when there is no designated bike path.
    For example, I was driving to work Tuesday when a bicyclist pulled up in front of my car in the right lane on Farm Lane going northbound where it intersects with Shaw Lane. There is no bike path at this portion of the road, and I needed to be in the right lane to avoid the left turn only lane, but the bicyclist was in the way.
    Instead, I had to speed ahead and veer away from the fast-approaching rear end of the car in front of me, just barely making it into the right lane.
    Some will say I could be more patient on the road.
    But roads are for cars, not bicyclists. The bicyclist should not have been in the car lane.
    It’s possible some bicyclists are trying to live out their dreams of being Lance Armstrong, and the smooth terrain offered by the roads where big, people-killing cars are designed to travel on are more desirable than the sidewalk pavement.
    I get it, bicyclists — you’re in the Tour de France. Well, in your head at least.
    But in reality, my gas-guzzling, carbon footprint-leaving car is trying to get around you, the bicyclist. And you, the bicyclist, prefer to coast, not along the side of the lane but in the exact middle.
    Maybe in your head you are actually driving a car. Maybe that’s why you believe you should be behind a pickup truck and in front of 15 other cars trying to pass you.
    And maybe you are Armstrong, so talented and in shape and able to pedal so, so fast. But Armstrong’s average speed in the 2001 Tour de France was 24.9 mph, which is 0.1 mph less than most of the speed limits on and around campus.
    Plus, I’ve had difficulty finding students who actually obey the speed limit anyway.
    It’s common for motorists to drive at least 5 mph above the speed limit, which makes your task to out-pedal Lance Armstrong all the more daunting. And considering you’re not actually Armstrong (even if you do wear a skintight yellow bicycle uniform), you likely are not going 24.9 mph.
    And, oh yeah, Armstrong is competing when he is bicycling — your leisurely ride through campus might not even register on a police radar.
    But, hey, snap out of it. You’re not Lance Armstrong.
    And those are the headlights of my black 2001 Saturn SC2 bearing down on you.
    Zack Colman is the State News opinion writer. Reach him at [email protected].
    Published on Wednesday, April 8, 2009

2. sandblast

sandblast One less 29er

Buisness phone systems
    Notice the link to his e-mail.

3. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Also note how many responses the article has received in about 3 days. Nearly all the ones I saw were pretty negative against the writer.

4. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    LOL another wonderful product of our great education system. Got more sperm than brain cells.#-o

5. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    He has a point. :?:

6. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    aww man.

7. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    No dipshit, a bike has the same rights to the road as an automobile.

8. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    No he doesnt have an point... because remember "hikers and horses has the right of way, we bikers have to stop for them" so whats the point riding on sidewalk if we have to stop for these pedestrians to go by? it would be same time distance to walk if there was so many students walking to school instead of riding bicycle. I rarely ride on sidewalk only if the road is crowed with cars, and narrow that might be risk. And if theres not much person on sidewalk.

9. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    This argument is idiotic because both sides are justified in their respective minds. Why even bring it up?

10. Framekiller

Framekiller Professional Lurker.

professional slacker
    Zach Colman is an idiot. Not because he feels that bikers should use the sidewalk, but because he openly admits that he "choose a different song on his iPod, sends a text message while driving or falls asleep at the wheel because he had to wake up for a worthless 8 a.m. biology lab." When you are behind the wheel of several thousands pounds of moving metal, pay attention.
    -Gotta wake up before 8am? Go to bed earlier instead of going out partying.
    -Texting while driving? Don't be an idiot. I would rather you talk on the phone than text.

Look, I'm not perfect, I change radio stations and songs while driving, but not at the expense of other people. As far as road riding goes, as long as the bike stays far to the right when he can, and does not knowingly and purposely impede the flow of traffic, I am cool with it.

11. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    good point then lol

12. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Bikes don't belong on the sidewalk. Bikes are considered vehicles and have the same rights to the road as cars.

13. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    This guy is going to be hating his inbox tomorrow morning, I won't pick him apart on his obvious ignorance in this post, but just call him a complete tool.....

14. Dh Oly

Dh Oly New Member

unemployed
    sweeeet....:lol:
    you guys make such a big deal out of stupid shiiit.. cmon niggaz.. =D

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    He's doing us a favor. He's pointing out the shiat roadies have to deal with. It's a tongue in cheek attempt at humor. Also works to raise the ire of people who do ride. Get them to speak out,take action.

16. whybother

whybother New Member

the biggest problem in my opinion is the people who intentionally try to hit you with their car. i don't understand why people feel the need to do this, but guess that it is jealousy based or something. eventually one of these people will actually take me out and it won't be an accident and that pretty much sucks.

friday at lunch i was riding on a local road and a black acura tried to hit me and my co-worker. there was no reason for it. we were on the shoulder, not impeding traffic, and traveling near the speed limit (it was on a descent).

i do my best to avoid busy streets, and would love to have bike lanes everywhere.

17. mcinvale

mcinvale New Member

I dunno, internet?
    Home Page:
    if bikes have the same rights as cars on the road, they need to follow the same laws. stop signs, red lights, right of way, etc... you can't have it both ways.

18. sickboy433

sickboy433 New Member

local 433 union ironworker
    Look bikes as much as I hate to admit it belong on the road. I'm not a roadie but if you can get a DUI on a bike its the same but yes its a common courtousy issue . Bikes stay in your area cars stay in yours . Yes I do hate it when bikers try to own a lane and hold up traffic but I also hate when I come off a trail to go home and nearly get ran over it sucks remember its a. me me me world f ck you horray me. I would say its Just O. C. But its every where so just chill the F ck out !!!!!!!!!!

19. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I think we're all agreed that bikes do indeed have the right to be on the road. But with that legal right comes the need to follow the laws and rules of riding a bike on the road.

20. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    awwwww, cut the guy a break. clearly his is still in pain from the smackdown NC handed msu in the tourney. besides boats I thought u stopped trolling college boards looking for coed's. :p