Vq/cc

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by sailcalifornia, Mar 1, 2008.

1. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't think I can even come close to being near your DH time. The Canzo is better than the Dos DH, but it's still an XC bike :lol:

2. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

I actually feel fine today, other than the back of my left knee, which started hurting on Blackstar. I honestly think having a recovery drink (other than beer!) really helped out. I had 20g whey protein with about 40g maltodextrin followed by some delicioso Mexican food a couple hours later.

I was still pretty sore yesterday, but today's not even that bad!

As for you Nam - I distinctly remember you saying, "I'm not doing no f*&^ing Counting Coup! I ride for fun!" :lol:

It's ok though - even Jason (yes, my husband Jason) says he wants to do it next year!!

3. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    do it on a 29er and you'll feel dirty...in a good way. ;)

4. elab

elab Turnbull haze

Started the CC with a beautiful morning.
    Felt great climbing up to Beeks.
    Yaked a couple of miles later. Wanted to quit but I was to cold so I just kept on moving.
    Made it to Silverado and was revitalized by the DH.
    Started feeling the cramp twinges just after Aid Station #1. This is where it really got ugly. Walked (like a weenie) most of the paved part. Started riding where the dirt starts but the twinges kept coming back. Stopped to rest.
    A big smile & a hello from Queen Willie got me going again.
    But unfortunately, it was more ride, walk, ride, walk, ride, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk.
    Finally got to UHJ & again I was revitalized by the DH.
    Caught the kid (Troy & his Dad) at the beginning of LHJ and just as they let me pass, the cramp finally and fully kicks in. I just about fell over as I'm cussing and in pain(sorry Troy & Dad). Took it easy for a minute, had a gel and some water and then took off again. Got an adrenaline rush as I figured I was close to the finish. Pushed it all the way in.
    Almost fell down at the finish line as a cramp kicked in as I dismounted. Thanks for the mustard Carl.
    1st CC finished in 7:46.
    It was an amazing experience.

5. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

yea i wouldn't do CC, if i'm gonna kill myself i might as well go big and do VQ #-o

6. giant rules

giant rules New Member

I attempted to do it with my older brother and we didnt make it. we made it to the bottom of HJ and the guys said that we had 20 minutes to get to the top, so we fell short of finishing. we had a lot of fun and we were glad we did it and will most likely be doing it again next year. anybody have any training ideas that i could use with my current one to make me finish the Vq next year?

fell once and cut myself up, i didnt even notice i was cut/ had a slightly swollen ankle till going up maple springs cuz when i crashed, i was more worried making sure my bike was ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
  7. Carbon Carrie

Carbon Carrie crashed....cameback

Brand new EMT-B
    bringing up the rear

Carbon Carrie Caboose here.......alive and well after her 2nd CC. While all you racers were out front flying off cliffs and jetting up the hills, I was participating in the social ride, stopping here and there to look at fog, creating the worlds record in peeing stops, and even enjoying a spot of tea at the Peak to celebrate sliding under the cut off times! Yes, it was a formal tea party with doilies, tea cups, little cookies, and some perpetuem tea. Yeah, you all missed it up front, we were partying it up on the caboose!!! Ride fun........cuz we endured 9 hours on our bikes.........and that's our way of doing da Counting Coupe:bang:Carbon Carrie with tea party team Jacke, Terri, Sarah, Merideth, and Todd.

PS: Merideth P. gets 1st place for being the toughest 53 yr old female to finish..I come behind her at 51. We 50 yr old ladies rule on the dirt:clap:!!!

Attached Files:

8. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Check your email, I just got the results, time and placement in a Word Document.

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Congrats on going out there! I think there are other posts, and people that teamed up for training, posting various training rides. I'm sure that you'll make it next year--and I'll be out there to cheer you on (as a volunteer, I hope) :)

10. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    As tkblazer said you are all sick. Before I joined STR I never considered the VQ/CC, well I am 100% set in my mind that I will suffer in 2009.I will be doing a lot of long rides in 2008.

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    She said no already. The 25 mile Rwanda ride was enough! But, I dunno, she did Tour de Noble :?:

12. giant rules

giant rules New Member

thanks. that was the first time we rode probably half the trails, so we were happy with how far we made it. can you guys think of any races that would be good training races for next year's vq?

13. db250f

db250f New Member

Structural repair & color restoration of motorcycl
    I had the same crud happen to me last year #-oso I know exactly how you feel! You WILL do it next year. Best wishes!!! :bang:

14. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Why must you hurt me? I thought we were friends. ;)

Beer has B-vitamins, carbs, and a touch of protein. Pair it a PB&J or some El Pollo Loco and you've got all kinds of recovery going on. Plus, we had OMR's hair for inspiration. :D

15. Edog

Edog Member

I give it a thought, it is in great shape, but to much to risk at that point, I asked the photograher why he was taking my picture of me carrying my bike for 150 feet after I'd ridden it for 44 miles?????
    He said he thought most peolple would ride it:-k
    He certainly wouldn't have got my picture lower down on HJ cause I was smok'in. (Till B'jammin scalped me at the finish)
    Thanks to the peeps that moved over!

16. TDUB

TDUB New Member

First off I would just like to thank all the WS Volunteers who made all the pain possible!

I definately bit way more off than i could chew. I signed up for the VQ and barely finished the CC.

All in all still had a great time getting out and getting to ride on a beautiful day.

My friend and I got to the starting line pretty much right at the start. We decided to hang out and let the majority of the pack go by. Felt great goin up blackstar. I think Hugh (just recognized him from pictures on the forum) was hootin and hollering at us coming up to beeks. Thanks for the support.

Once on pain divide for a couple of miles it really became apparent that we had not trained enough. My friend started cramping and I was just plain going slow. We had become part of the party caboose with the trail angels. We saw them on and off all through out the day.

Got to Silverado way and blasted down that I passed at least six people going down that awesome trail. Got into the AS #1 at 9. At that point the goal was to just get to the second checkpoint and finish the cc mileage. Did the ride walk walk walk ride walk walk ride ride walk thing all the way up MS. Started to crank harder when I saw the cars at 4 corners. I kept thinking that we had missed the cutoff and was waiting for a car or motorcylce to come tell us to turn around we had missed the checkpoint but that never happened. Got close and could hear a bunch of people cheering me on and just cranked to get to the cutoff. We just made it.

We wound up sweeping the rest of the course WS members Barry and Drew. Both great guys who kept us motivated to the peak. Thanks guys! My energy levels were good but knee really begand to hurt. Felt like a screw driver in my knee. It hurt more to stop and rest than it did to keep going. Cranked slowly to the peak and then basically bombed down HJ. Crashed once on UHJ didnt follow my instinct and didnt ride out a rut. Walking out of the creek crossings was one of the most painful experiences in my life, could barely put any weight on my knee. Got to AS#2 they took our plates and we rode out to the finish line. People were still cheering for us as we came through(we must have looked pretty bad).

Next year and more training and CC! Thats all I have to say!

Thanks again to all who worked on this event Ill never forget it!

17. JohnnyDalton

JohnnyDalton New Member

Hi - I just got the result email and sent an email to a friend that I thought might be better posted here:

Vision Quest was Saturday. Again. Today I've been largely unavailable - hiding in the shop with the windows blinds closed and the door closed. I'm torn between rehydrating and avoiding the painful trip to the restroom.

I took a gravel bath about a mile from the finish avoiding a Suburban. Between the road rash, missing skin, and deeply bruised shoulders, hip, and knee, I've strung myself out on Tylenol and Advil…taken with equal and unchecked enthusiasm.

Even though I somehow managed to get myself up and to the finish, I only lost one place and still beat last years time by 3 minutes. Guess I should be happy, but damn. Oh, and I was wearing my spanking new Assos S2s…maybe I can send them back to Competitive Cyclist and feign ignorance, "why are you guys shipping shorts with gaps in the side panels?" Still, a $250 pair of bibs should be able to stand a little slide action, don't you think? I mean come on, it wasn't asphalt or anything.

The same cast of characters are starting to become quite familiar to me. Oh, I can beat you, you, and you, but not you, you, you, you, you, you, you, you…..

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking we should just concede our relative placings and go down to the brewery and eat wings and drink porters. Who's with me!!!

18. TDUB

TDUB New Member

I forgot to add how amazing the sight was to see everyone ahead of me climbing the switchbacks up blackstar with their lights on. That was something to see and that was worth getting up at 3:30.

19. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    That was the bottom of HJ where they were stopping riders from going up Trabuco toward WHT. You said you had 20 min to make it, then that would mean you were there at 12:10. If you get to the second aid station at 12 noon for next year, you will be allowed to continue. This year, you would have had to be at the bottom of HJ by 11:45 to give yourself 45 min to get the the base of WHT.

The Traverse, tougher than the CC and will cover all the climbs from Beek's to the Silverado Trail(MW), then just more climbing.

20. Impy

Impy Active Member

Oh how sad, it was not my year. I made it to aid #2 by 12 but couldn't hoof it up to the cutoff in time - got turned around at wht.

(actually given how much pain i was in, i was relieved with not making it - but you know i still would have tried to drag myself up wht somehow)