VQ / CC Training - Who's doing what?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by allison, Dec 14, 2007.

1. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I haven't seen any training rides posted, and we haven't gotten any updates on the closures.. possible "open" days, etc.

What's everyone that signed up doing??

Just curious. I drew up a somewhat elaborate training plan for us. Since it's training and not "fun" rides Justin and I usually go it alone.

:wave:

2. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

To tell you the truth with all of the fires and trail closures it kind'a took the wind out of my sails.

Normally I would be hammering this time of the year#-o trying to get in shape.

If I never ride Black Star again it will be too soon.;)

Need to get motivated:)

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I think many of us would be doing a training ride this weekend.....howver, alot of us are working on getting the Motorway ridable again. :clap:

4. Burner

Burner WAWE

my training is going like shiat. pretty much non existent due to travel up to this point. I've got a couple of weeks to hammer now, but only have my SS operational at the moment, which isn't the best for long distance endurance training.... it'll have to do.

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    You can't do trail maintenance one day and ride the next?

Some people probably already had plans before the trailwork was announced, also :)

6. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

i went from 4 days a week to maybe 2!!!:?: yeah life sucks ohh well!!!#-o8-[

7. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Signed up for Counting Coup.

But I've been doing diddley squat. :?: Purely just maintenance riding. But I'm gonna start riding more starting next week and get some regulary 4-5 hours efforts in. Probably gonna be mostly on the road bike. But will probalby try B-star to Skyline to B-star or just make loops at Aliso Woods or El Moro. Other than that I'm gonna try to work on my back and core so I can feel good and be strong for the long events.

Allison I'm gonna do 12hours of Temecula in January too to test things out. Duo 2-person team. Not gonna be fast, just hope to be strong 6 hours.

8. guero

guero iFroth

exact same thing here...i need to get my butt in gear, like quick! i was doing great before the fires, and then i got sick, and then the rains...so now it is time to step it up.

9. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Not only the fires but I think the rains swamping the trails and the Holidays are hampering everyone's efforts too...what I have heard is alot of riding up Blackstar/down Skyline/ then back up and over...the Holy Jim to Trabuco loop is a good one too...and for those doing the VQ you can practice climbing West Horse Thief..ugh. If we keep getting rained out on the weekends start hitting the road even if it's on your mtn bike...need the miles no matter what kind they are.

I am sure after the holidays you will find more riding going on!

As soon as we find out if we can get a training day on the full course I am sure STR will be the first to know...

See you on the trails.

10. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

If anyone does any training rides on any of the CC/VQ course, please post them. I'd like to get on some rides, but Jason's not into long training rides so much, so I need to tagalong with people that know their way around.

11. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    I know Gene will keep you all posted!

12. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I have done 6 training related rides so far. With the rain last weekend, Thanksgiving weekend rides, the sladnas ride and my knees hurting a bit, I stopped to take a break for about a week and 1/2. My kness are ok now, no pain so I'm going to post a ride to do Upper HJ and Lower HJ next Sat. It'll be for those who have not been down either one so the pace will be moderate. Starting in January, the rides will be more about pace. I will repeat some of the routes I already did, but I will not sweep those rides. I will be riding at pace. Most of my rides have been on this side of Saddleback cause I live 15 min from there.

I may do HJ to Coldwater to ITT and down Trabuco in Feb if the mountain is still closed. Another ride I want to do is Black Star to Coal Canyon. It's 35 miles, but the geoladder route is coming from Coal Canyon.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=343

13. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery

Whatever!!! If you are really planning on doing the VQ and beating your last time at the event then you should be doing trailwork til 2 then riding til dark and riding the next day!!!! NO EXCUSES with the trailwork...

14. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

People train for this event??? Really???? :?:

:beer:

15. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Andy - not all of us are as naturally gifted as you are :)

16. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I have never had the pleasure of doing either of these yet so count me IN :)

plus, I will be sitting on my @$$ on a plane the next day and need to do as much riding as possible before i go back to the frozen land of the north for Christmas

17. klutter

klutter Member

I have done zero training rides so far. Since I'm doing VQ on the CX bike I'm not too worried about the climbs, I'm more concerned about the descents. Assuming that the section of the course between Beek's Place and west of Santiago Peak remain closed until the actual event day, I'm leaning toward the following routes:
    • Repeated climbs up Blackstar to Beeks. Just to get used to sustained climbs.
    • Climb up to Santiago Peak via Holy Jim and Main Divide. Once at the peak, follow the VQ route. Down Upper Holy Jim, down Lower Holy Jim, proceed to WHT, back on Main Divide and down Trabuco.
    • Climb Blackstar to Beek's, and then turn left at the Main Divide. Maybe the Main Divide in that direction resembles the rolling terrain of the VQ route.

18. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Lots of road miles, sitting on the trainer watching DVDs and doing intervals, with the occassional fun ride to keep my sanity.
    So far December has not been good for training.

19. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Thanks Gene, count me in! :)
    I wish my Thanks button worked.

20. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

I've been riding a rigid ss and increasing my miles, but no real training rides yet. Alot of Blackstar rides. I've gained 5 lbs. since a month ago. :?:I like to think its leg muscle, but I know better. Too many after ride beers. :beer:

I got to get serious.