VQ/CC Finishers(2013 Pow Wow Writeup & Pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by 9er, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Giddy

Giddy Member

Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    Ya I wussed out but I finsihed under 6 hours Oh did I say that out loud, and I did let them know at the start I was not running SS maybe next year?

OH BY THE WAY DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PHOTOGRAPHER ON UPPER HOLY JIM THAT WAS TAKING PICS AT THE ROCK DROP???

2. OTB_again

OTB_again Hophead

Wireless site development
    Man I'm loving this thread! It's always so much fun to read everyone's recollections and thoughts post-event.

This year, I ended up working support at UHJ with fellow WS member Bob Rust. About 6 weeks ago I made the difficult decision to abandon any hopes of riding the event due to lack of training. The motivation was there, but so many training weekends were blown out due to weather, illness, daughter's travel softball, and trailwork (basically LIFE was getting in the way) that I decided to volunteer on the course. That way, I'd get to see the entire field come through, and get to meet and help out a bunch of folks that were giving their all on the course. I've said it before in prior year's writeups, but just as much as I enjoy marveling at how fast the top guys get around the course (Tinker blazed thru UHJ checkpoint at 820am - insane), I am really happy and proud of those riders who embark on the biggest ride of their lives. Some succeed, some fail, but as the saying goes, "there's always next year!"

Speaking of those who succeeded, I love Tinker...we all know what an ageless freak he is, but he always cracks me up when he asks where the trail is. Unlike a few years ago, we didn't let him continue down Main Divide; rather, we directed him down UHJ. (I think the year he missed it, he rode so fast that he beat support to the checkpoint!). I was thinking about that when I decided to roll at 5am to make sure no pros beat me there! Over the radio we heard later that Tinker made the top of West Horsethief at 940am...for the non-math majors including myself, that's 4 hours 10 minutes from the start line. Holy guacamole. I wonder what Bishop's split was in 2011?

I missed the starting line festivities since I left my vehicle at the Parkers at 5am and started pedaling up the canyon in the dark and mist. When I approached the National Forest boundary, thoughts turned to the recently located "hikers" and that creeped me out a bit thinking that both of them had been perched up on the EAST side of the canyon for 4 days. About 1/2 way up LHJ, I broke thru the clouds and realized what a truly beautiful day it was going to be. I opted for the HAB up UHJ instead of continuing the grind up Main Divide, and arrived at the top at 740am.

I got set up, Addie and her dachshund Heidi arrived to work radio support, and Bob rolled up a few minutes later. Bob checked off the VQ riders and I took the CC riders. We enjoyed the next several hours checking off all the riders that came through, and as previously mentioned, we were surprised to hear about the large number of DNS riders. Lots of buddies rolled through, from James Scribner who was doing his first VQ (Scribby said his back was hurting but I would have never known it, dude always has an ear-to-ear grin working), 7 time VQ finisher and UQ ironman Troy Liposec, fast guy Travis Clater, Tom "Gravel Powerslide" Robe, Rob Ross (KILLING VQ with a nutty time of 613 or something), Andy Lightle on his 7th VQ, all-around good guy Larry Harden, Ned "Lone Wolf" Reynolds, stud Mike Caffrey, Steve Schwartz (1st CC!), multi-year finisher Tim Leech, and on and on.

One rider came in way too hot and dumped it right at the UHJ drop-in! After a cloud of dust, he picked himself up in shame and rode off down the trail. Another rider showed up and asked if we had any tools. Seemed his rear brake caliper had become off-centered and his wheel would not even spin 1/2 revolution by itself. I asked him how long it had been like that, and he said "Oh, since the last climb on Main Divide before the Motorway"! What!? Dude climbed over 12 miles and several thousand feet like that. I removed his brake pads, re-aligned the caliper, re-installed the pads and he was good to go. That made me feel good to be able to help someone out. It never got too buggy up there, but at one point I did don my bug net to keep a few pesky gnats at bay.

Once the riders slowed to a trickle and we heard the location of the sweeps over the radio (heading toward Modjeska Peak) I asked Bob if he minded if I rode down. All those hours on my feet were starting to make my back stiffen up. Any time I can clean UHJ on my HT I am happy, and when I got to the LHJ drop in, I didn't hesitate to go for it. 3 seconds later, I was off the edge and picking myself up, trying to lug my bike back up to the trail. Not a big deal except I had called one of the participants off the top of the drop in so I could ride it...now I'm the fool like the dude who had crashed earlier right in front of us at the UHJ drop-in. With bruised pride and a ripped club jersey but no worse for the wear, I cruised out the finish and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon with everyone.

Finally, major props to the Parker family for providing their property for the finish line - what an awesome venue with all of the shade, something that was always lacking at the end of the wash. O'Neill is beautiful but too separated from the finish. Hopefully we can keep that venue rolling into the future!

Next year, I hope to be back in the field of riders; until then, I hope everyone enjoys their riding and training - stay safe out there and see you on the dirt!

3. XcShane

XcShane Member

Wow, another year in the books. And another year of greatness by the Warrior Society & volunteers. Thank you all, for your time and organization you put into this such memorable event. From the electric start, to the most helpful aid stations, to the words of encouragement and cheers, this is an event you have to feel at least once. If anyone hasn't attempted this before, mark your calendars and sign up. You will not be disappointed in the WS!

This was my 4th CC and posted my best time yet despite a little less training. The weather was just perfect! I will never forget the drizzle while climbing Blackstar. It somehow made it a bit easier. Felt good most of the way but of course the dreaded cramps started talking. Luckily I believe with better nutrition and preparation this year, they never got really bad. The whole course was in great shape, especially the descents. It was great seeing fellow riders - Rick, Jason, Kelly (you VQ animal!) pushing themselves. One of my favorite parts of the course is the last 4+ miles to the finish line. Well, who doesn't like getting to the finish line right? No matter how hard it's been, I always have been able to muster a last push. Lots of cars this year but I'd say it worked out just fine. Thanks again WS. I once again had tremendous time!

One thing I'd like to add is a little conversation I had with Chris from the WS after the ride. I just wanted to thank him for taking the time to chat. Since I've never talked with him before, I don't know if this is normal for Chris but I have to think he has a million things to do and couldn't possibly take the time to talk with everyone. It was just in passing but thanks for not being in a hurry. Way cool.

4. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

This was VQ number 6 but this year was more to prove to myself that I can still do it. Last year I clipped my pedal on a hidden stump coming down the lower section of Trabuco. I went OTB and broke my wrist, cracked ribs and bummed my hip. This year the training was slower and not as intense as the year before. My plan was to ride strong but ride smarter. The first section I felt good and made it to MS check point by 7:40. Check point rules; get water, lube chain, refill HEED, kiss my 3 and 5 year old, kiss my wife and off. Get out in under 5 minutes. I did it with big thanks to a stranger who grabbed my bike and he lubed the chain for me. So awesome! I did not get his name but a big thank you. My 3 year old had not mastered chain lubbing yet! Still, nothing better than hearing the Go Daddy Goes!

Started up Maple feeling fine until I hit the dirt. I started slowing down at this point and really lost some time. I chatted with Matt from Carlsbad on the way up. He was riding these trails for the first time ever so I gave him some trail info. I made the peak well behind last year's time as I really struggled with the last mile. Once at peak, I dropped my seat and threw on the bells. I made some really good time all the way down until...a crash again. My front tire washed and I went down fast. Funny, I just got on the bike and took off not even wanting to know what I did. Once I got to the creek crossing I checked myself over; only a banged up knee and scrapped arm. Better than last year! I get to the check point and I could not find my aid station bag. Oh well, that just means less time to hang out wasting minutes. Gene was a big help and tried to find it, thanks! Started up the ride to Trabuco. It wasn't until I had to walk that I realized I banged my knee up pretty good. I had a sharp pain in the back of my knee which really slowed me down on WHT. I kept telling myself, get to the top by 7 hours and I will finish sub 8. Many have mentioned a song that gets stuck in your head. I did not take the bells off for the WHT climb so that is what I listened to the whole way up. Kind of maddening and if I wasn't so tired I probably would have noticed how annoying they were.

I got to WHT right about 7:06 behind schedule. "Do you want a burger?" No thanks. I beer offer was made, but I think it was more a carrot to get me down than an actual offer. No refill on water, only put on glasses and scoot over to Trabuco. I now know I am loosing on sub 8 time rolling up to Trabuco at 7:30. Again, drop seat and roll. I made good time again and made it down with no crashes. Wow I thought, there is still a chance. I take off and pedal down the road only to see the 8:00 him my Garmin. I think, well maybe, just maybe my time is different than the official. Nope, rolled in at 8:02 to a cheering family who could care less I missed my sub 8 goal. In my kids eyes I won the whole thing. Sorry Tinker.

Thanks againg to all WS members and volunteers. Also, the finish line ended was the best. So cool to be able to hang with friends and swap stories of the day's ride. I hope the Parker family will always be willing to allow the use for this event.

5. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    So how was my race? Not nearly as long as I had planned on back when I signed up, but a whole lot more fun.

I had a lingering feeling going into the last month of training that I wasn't where I needed to be...nah, it wasn't lingering, I knew I wasn't. I spend a whole bunch of this winter doing rides for fun rather than to train, and while I had a great time doing so, I never really got the long climbing miles in that one needs for this race. I knew how I had trained before, and that I hadn't come close to it this time. But I still wanted to come down and give it a shot; who knew how I'd feel race morning, and I had a good friend of mine from up here who was doing it for his first time this year, and I wanted to be there to support him too.

You know those guys that manage to tell the story about literally being the last starters? Yep, that was us. Rolled out of the gate at 5:45, which I just kept telling myself was our strategy to avoid the dust. Right? The gate also was also where my friend Andy (the norcal'er) checked out, and so for quite a while I was just out having a nice pre-dawn ride up Blackstar. Caught a few folks along the climb, and played the usual leapfrog with a couple groups along Main Divide. It was a beautiful morning up there once the clouds started to lift. Saw duke777 up along Main Divide too, where he managed to get my 'walk of shame' shot. Made it down Motorway (even made the cutoff), and called it a day - I knew I didn't have another 35 miles in me, and I'd end up killing myself just to miss the cutoff at LHJ anyway, so I might as well go make a fun day of it.

This is where the day actually got really cool for me, because Kevin (xhuskr) and I decided to ride up to the LHJ aid station and watch the riders coming through. Saw tinker as he was blasting down the road right before the finish, and got to see all of the leading riders absolutely hauling ass down to the finish. Hanging out at the aid station was a blast, and I now understand why it's just as much fun sometimes to aid the riders as it is to ride. To see the determination, the frustration, the elation, and lots of other -tion emotions on the faces of the riders was such a neat experience for me. Helping riders refuel, change flats - Kevin even literally unbolted the cleat from his own riding shoe and gave it to a rider who lost his, which saved the guy's race. Things like that just...they make you think about what this is all about, outside of just being a race. Makes me realize that I learned just as much seeing the race this way as I did finishing it a few years ago. Which is really cool to me.

After the cutoff was closed off we made it back down to the finish, in time to catch my friend Andy finish his first VQ. He trained his ass of for this all winter, and completely earned it. He's not on here, but even so, good job bud! Same goes for everyone on here that competed this year. This is a tough event, and everyone that just lined up at that start line (or showed up late to it...) has my respect.

I had a great time seeing so many friends, and sharing laughs and good times over what was far too short of a trip down south. :beer:

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

From the prospective of a volunteer:

Rolled up on the start venue at just before 4am on Saturday.....and it was alread buzzing. Looked at the temp and it said 56-57 degrees.....looks like they lucked out this year. Helped get things situated......things like delinators, caution tape, moving the sh*tter, setting up the PA system. Just general let's get stuff done. Started checking off riders into the starting corral about 5:10. Was nice to see a lot of familiar faces. Then again, have been working these events since 2006, so I tend to see a lot of the same faces.

Event goes off and I get my ride to Aid Station #1 at Maple Springs. I will be sweeping the 2nd half of the CC. Jump in and help out at the Aid Station. Always forget how batshit crazy it gets there. Thanks to Kevin and a few others(sorry didn't catch your names) for stepping in and helping out. We were a bit short handed this year.

9:20 the sweep comes down the Motorway.....that is all the riders, 10 minutes before the cutoff. Took inventory of the riders meandering around the aid station. As soon as they left, I would give them some time and follow them up. One of the last few riders came into the aid station, looking like he was cramping pretty good.

Last year, I allowed the riders too much time and didn't catch the last rider til just past the saddle.

15 minutes later I rode off. Shortly thereafter I caught the final rider. Said hello, I'm your new friend for the rest of your ride. Kind of an awkward time. Started with idle chit-chat. Never know whether the other rider wants the distraction of conversation or whether they want to suffer in silence. I stopped from time to time and Jim continued on. Never saw him put a foot down. About 1/2 way up MS during our conversation, found out who he was and vice versa....was nice putting a face with a name. Just below 4 Corners at the clock ticked down, it was clear he was going to miss the cutoff....kind of a bummer, but he still rode up to 4 Corners. Congrats on the personal best Rumpled.

Checked in with the 4C and they said the final riders had taken off about 10-15 minutes ago. Cool, thought I might catch them by the saddle...nope. About 100 yards up the trail, there they were enjoying a well deserved break. Introduced myself again.....I'm your new friend for the rest of your ride. Turns out Rodger and Rachel are members here....again, nice to put faces to names. I really enjoy being out on the course interacting with the riders.

Made it up over the Peak, and began the drop down to UHJ. Allowed those to to head down UHJ while I chatted with the volunteers.

As with most, by this point....UHJ can move strong riders to question whether they can actually do this or not. UHJ is fun...a lot of fun....but it is tricky and techy.....and after 30 miles, is trecherous. Plus it is exposed and tends to be pretty warm. Wanted to apologize to Rachel for my co-sweep. He should have given you more space on the descent. I know it put a little pressure on you. I tried to explain it to him, but I think my point was missed. Fortunately, you bounced back on LHJ and got the flow back. Down LHJ with no issues and into the Aid Station #2. Home stretch....it is all gravy from there.

Headed into the Parker's, always great to see the cheering and support for the riders as they cross the finish line.

I enjoy sweeping this event.....I get to ride....but more importantly, I get to watch people step out of their comfort zone, push themselves and accomplish a great achievement.

Great event. Really liked the finish line venue.

Thanks to all that came out and played on the mountain with us.

7. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Very cool thread, congratulations to everyone that started and finished their races. Next year.....

8. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Of all the English Beat songs, wow. At least it wasn't "Pato and Roger a go Talk (right)"

I hope that bit of audio misery helped propel you to fulfill your goals. Oh, and thanks for being the first to properly throw my screen name back at me! Go Roxy! It's been said before, but you truly do rock! (and evidently SKA). :bang:

:beer:

9. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

and everyone of them passed me!

10. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Yes, he talked to us at the 2nd Aid Station at the bottom of Holy Jim. He is in contact with our Webmaster Barry and there will be a link provided on our website so you can view the pics soon.

Chris Vargas emailed the club and will also have his write up done later this week and posted on the website and hopefully the results will become "official" this week as well. I will post it up here as soon I know. You can check here:
    http://www.warriorssociety.org/

The finishing portraits are also complete and a link to that will be provided on the WS site soon. I've asked John aka KeepsWhatHappens to post it here since he was the one who took the finishing pics.

11. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    2013 Warriors Society Pow Wow Finish Line Portraits Time-Lapse Movie

[youtube]dqq0d2J3T1w[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  12. crepit

crepit New Member

This was my first mtb event and I decided to take on the VQ.

Thank you to the Warrior Society who put on an excellent event and thank you to all the volunteers and unofficial aid stations!!

I was racing the cut-offs and came in at 113th place (number plate #90).

The start was a sight to see with all the lights trailing thru Blackstar Canyon. I lost my gps watch after reaching the first set of radio towers. I couldn’t track my heart rate so just went as fast as I could the rest of the race trying not to blow myself up.

I made a video of Silverado Motorway:
    [youtube]VpcMAyvBcVy[/youtube]

I think I started to bonk going down HJ. By the time I hit the bottom of HJ at 11:30 I knew I had to try to get to WHT as fast as possible or I might not make the cut-off. I knew I was bonking but didn’t have time to recuperate. I picked up some poison oak thanks to the riders who couldn’t slow down and knock a couple of seconds off their times so I’d have time to get to a spot with little or no poison oak. Most slowed down but there were a few riders that accelerated up to me... I made the cut-off with 25 minutes to spare. I thought I was cooked at that point but slowly plowed up WHT. My legs eventually started to catch up with me and I felt fresh as I made it to the top. I was surprised to pass a few riders going down Trabuco and finish!

Thanks again to Warrior Society and all the volunteers and people cheering they definitely made the event enjoyable!!!

Someone picked up my gps watch and it was waiting for me at the finish line. The lcd was broke but it still works!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  13. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Hey roger and Rachel congrats on your CC finish! I was the annoying asian guy in the dirty land cruiser that told you "this is the last hill" at motor way and 4 corners and on the way to peak. :wave: So glad to hear that you guys toughed it through and finished the race!

14. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

This is awesome. My favs: the guy throwing down and flipping off his bike, and ROX!!! (watch out, doublewide's gonna have a poster of that pic above his bed;)) classic photos....can't wait for the link so I can purchase one of me :)

15. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    With the blue candy?

I kid, SS just isn't for some. You're FAR from a wuss, you killed my time by over an hour.

16. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    I think that was Dwayne Ziegler. Ray and I gave him a ride back to B* and we talked about the wicked early start and that we had to sit on a second dump the whole entire ride....DZ is a hoot!!

I think he's shooting Petunia (his bike) like a down horse......

17. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

A few weeks ago I went out to test myself on a longer ride. The route was Skyline, Motorway, Maple Springs, Motorway, Blackstar, Skyline. It was roughly 50 plus miles. I figured I'd go out and see how my legs did. Well, they didn't do all that well. Cramps slowed me down to a crawl. So this last week I figured I'd eat right (yes, all week) and take in tons of fluids. I should be set for this fun ride.......

Come 3:30am I hear the pesky alarm sound. Ironically I was up two minutes earlier checking the time. Now as the alarm sounds I could hardly get out of bed-whatever. Heather and I pick up our neighbor, Joel Titius (finished 5th in the VQ and is only 19) and drove in. It was great, having a pregnant wife who works the event we parked right next to the trailer!!! Major score!

At the start I look around and see some familiar faces. Some new faces. I introduce myself to several people. One of the guys called himself Tinker. What a silly name. I totally laughed at him and said good luck dude.

The gun went off and so did all the fast guys. I "cruised" with Fuzzy and Leslie-both are fellow Niner geeks and love the bikes they ride. Fuzzy finished the CC in the top 15 I believe and I think Leslie finished in the top 2 or 3 for the females in the VQ. She also tore a sidewall and had to walk a mile and a half back to an aid station.

I started my cramping on the way to the peaks. I was with Niner Singlespeeder Heidi V. We encouraged each other as the day went on. The views were amazing, but man, I couldn't get my quad's, ham's or calves to stop cramping!!! I really don't think there is much worse than muliple cramps. At one point I was quad-podding with both feet on the ground, crouch on the top tube and both calves in full lock down. "You ok?" lol Yeah, just stuck here for a bit. Soon enough I would start walking again only to try to swing my leg over the top tube...Bazinga! Cramp in the hamie. Oh this sucked!

Well even with all that suffering I still finished the VQ in a "respectable" time. Not near my best but I'll live with it. My bike worked incredibly. The Niner RDO was perfect, as were my Shimano components! Oh, my Oakleys blocked out quite a few of those pesky branches and probably saved my eyes from a few poison oak leaves as well! thanks guys!

What I haven't talked about yet is the good will on the trail. The "Go get'ems!" the "Wow! Look at the clowds in the valleys down there!" It always amazes me how wonderful people can be during this event. Thank you all for the kind words and the positive vibes you leave on the trail.

Thank you to all the volunteers who were there before most of us and there long after we left. Thank you to the sweeps that can do this event in a very respectable time, but follow the last riders instead. Encouraging the riders who don't know if they can make it. These people have the true/real stories that I would love to hear.

Lastly and most importantly to me, thank you to Heather and our daughter Colbie. She isn't born yet but due in 10 weeks. Heather registered people at check in and she was there helping out at the finish line. You baby are amazing!!!

See ya on the trails!

18. grendal

grendal Member

That would be STR name bikerider. I think his pack must have weighted 25 lbs with that camera in it and yet he still set his PR up Harding to 4C that day.

He was also nice enough to get me a coke when I finished.\\:D/

19. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Rut's RR reminded me: How many people had the "woke up late and didn't make the start on time" dream Friday night? I sure did!!!

20. bikerider

bikerider New Member

Shhh.... He wants to remain relatively anonymous. Photos being uploaded to drop box.