Vision quest update per ws newsletter/2010 Vision Quest / Counting Coup - March 20th

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Kid A, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneredbike

oneredbike New Member

30 min is a lot of time and a few will not make it on time as a result! Hope I will not be one of them.;)

2. minhster

minhster DNF'd

I had some free time this morning at work and dissected the race for those that are interested in preriding the course in sections.

The Full Course - Vision Quest - 55.2 Miles / Ascent: 11,200 - http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=489

First Third - Blackstar Canyon to Motorway - Distance: 25.7 miles / Ascent: 4,520 feet - (mile 0 to mile 18.8 of Full Course) - http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=50

Second Third - Maple Springs to Holy Jim - Distance: 24.0 miles / Ascent: 3,860 feet - (mile 18.8 to mile 38.3 of Full Course) - http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=403

Last Leg - HorseThief to Trabuco - Distance: 20.8 miles / Ascent: 3,420 feet - (mile 38.3 to mile 55 of Full Course) - http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=14

If you're interested in only doing CC (http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?from_top=1&route_id=69) it is the first and second third of Vision Quest above.

3. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I have a team ride this weekend, but I think I'd be up for a slow n easy of whatever portion you'd like to work on.

Who else is in?

4. minhster

minhster DNF'd

my schedule changed a bit for this weekend. I'm going to be riding blackstar to motorway on SATURDAY morning at 7am. My buddy is leaving for Turkey on sunday so we're riding Saturday instead. Starting next week I'm planning on riding a different portion every sunday morning though.

Rachel, I'll keep you on a PM mailing list of the rides I will be doing Sunday Mornings. If anyone is possibly interested also shoot me a PM and I'll keep you updated as well.

5. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    In past years, you would not have been allowed to continue towards WHT if you arrived at noon. 30 min is really pushing it to get from HJ lot to the base of WHT, especially with riders coming down the same trail and they do not always yield to climbers as expected.

I emailed Chris, Sherry and Barry(webmaster). As soon as I get confirmation that the info on the WS site has been updated, I will post it here.

Also, there will be NO waiting list maintained by me or the WS. They will allow transfer of your entry. This is from the WS site:

"We will allow the transfer of your spot in the event if you are unable to participate due to injury or other issues. There will be a $25.00 transfer charge payable to "The UCLA Foundation," to support Operation Mend or to the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund, the two charities our Traverse and Toad Festival Events support. No Transfers will be allowed after March 6th."

6. davidB

davidB Active Member

so there can be a waiting list. Anyone want to take charge of it?

And that $25 transfer fee is a cool thing to do.

7. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Minhster,

If you're unfamiliar with the course at all I do think it's a good idea to ride all parts of it. Maybe split it up in 3's. BS>MW. MS>HJ. HJ trailhead > WHT > Trabuco. Though riding it every weekend till event day in March sounds like formula for major burnout. You're gonna hate the VQ before you even ride it.

Definitely pre-ride the first few sections now to check your time though. Don't even bother with the listed cutoffs for MW and top of MS from the Warriors Society. Those are ultra conservative and you'll never make the last 2 cutoff at HJ and WHT if you follow those. Read through the 2008 threads.

But off the top of my head I think:

BS>bottom MW in about 2.5-3hrs is a good starting place (8am - 8:30am).

Up to Maple to 4 corners in ~4 hrs, 4.5hrs tops (9:30am -10am).

At the top of Santiago Peak in about 5hrs (5.5hrs latest = 11am).

That'll give you 1 hr to come down from the peak to make the 12pm cutoff. Unfortunately that doesn't leave you much time and you'll have to get going immediately to get to WHT in 45min.

I have to check my math but that's a rough guess. Frankly, like Gene said I think you need to get to HJ faster than that to account for the 2 way traffic headed towards WHT.

I guess, bottomline I would suggest not just training on the course for endurance, but train so you're faster on the bike too.

8. genusmtbkr5

Yup, that's about right. Here is the discussion from last years thread. http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/racing-training/31409-vq-cue-sheet-cut-off-times.html

11:00 to the peak is very conservative. Sooner the better. 11am gives you 1 hr to get down, but now you only have 45 min to get to the new 4th cutoff at 12:45. So no lolly gagging down HJ. The sooner you get to the HJ lot, the more time left to get to WHT.

9. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    Actually, screw the cutoffs and the training. If you can keep up with Rachel you're golden!

10. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

I may try to do it tomorrow. My only problem would be bike--still putting together the AIR9. If you see a silver FJ tomorrow, I'll start with you. I may have to use a 26'er :eek:

I agree that riding the course will burn you out. But if you haven't done the dh sections, you may want to practice them a few times. Speaking of burn out, I haven't been out there since I did the VQ, over two years ago :lol: ;)

11. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    Off topic. Air9 Rach is that what you ended up doing about your Jet?

12. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

Got the AIR9 baby! It's basically the same geometry, and I LOVED my other AIR9, which I sold under direst and threat of divorce for too many bikes ;)

The way I see it, the JET9 recall was just God's way of saying that I belong with the AIR9, too :lol::lol::lol:

I'll post pics once it's built, in the proper forum so I dont' get in trouble for off topic #-o

13. genusmtbkr5

14. jbh65

jbh65 Member

just my opinion I would ride from HJ to WHT just to see how long it takes you, and then multiply that by about 2-3 since you will have 38-40 miles of riding in you by that point. Has to be the hardest check point to reach out of the 3 endurance events.

15. bajaguy

bajaguy Member

I sell cups.
    Just to get my times right for the CC. Let me know if there is a post for cutoff times for the CC. Thanks guys.

- Start at 5:30
    - Bottom of MW by 9:30 (Mile 19)
    - MS and Main Divide Junction by 11:30 (Mile 26)
    - Finsih at Trabuco Creek Road by 12:30

16. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:

There are only two cutoffs for Counting Coup. At the bottom of MW and then the MS/MD junction as you've noted.

That's all. You then finish whenever you finish :)

17. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

Is everyone ready to sign up? Coffee at hand to stay awake (or alarm clocks set)? Anyone need a wake up call? It's almost time!!!!

18. bajaguy

bajaguy Member

I sell cups.

Thanks..maybe I should do the VQ then. lol

19. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance

SHOOOT! thanks for the reminder! Its my first big race, is the registration a simple process?

20. reflux

reflux New Member

I propose a self-moderated Google Docs spreadsheet. Thankfully I plan to sign up later this evening, but I'd be happy to put it up on my account. I suggest it be self-moderated because it looked like the list last year resulted in some frustration for Gene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.