Vision Quest and Counting Coup Registration

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by mtnbikej, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    If you don't show up, I'm knocking on your door and dragging your ass to the Black* gate!!

2. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

Go jonathan go!

3. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Good luck to everyone who got in! Note to self for next year - DO NOT use the iPad to sign up for CC/VQ. :) I was on right at 8pm and tried at least 5 times and kept getting a "registration limit check failed" message on Active.com.

4. westcoaster

westcoaster New Member

Bummer Kingaucho, I was worried about registering with my iPad, guess I got lucky though. CC 1st timer!

5. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    Any plans to make registrations available through other means, such as a raffle?

Just thought I'd ask...:-k

6. wheeler

wheeler Member

Both events sell out in less than 1/2 hour........don't think they need to change a thing :)

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Nope

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Sorry for those who did not get in. It happens every year as these events sell out fast. I have no explanation why some have difficulty and others do not. :?:

Many I know on STR as well as my roommates Chris(chanson on STR) and Donna(CaDownhilldoll) have done the VQ and CC and have had NO ISSUES in past years and my roommate Jenn got in the CC again this year as well as the past 2 years using active.com

No, we will not change our method of registering..., sorry. If EVERYONE had problems and NO ONE was able to register, then this would tell us that active.com is culprit and we need to find another way, but it sells out in minutes every year so that tells us the system works. Again, sorry for those who did not get in.

9. strobe

strobe resident noob

First off, complaining about the registration to VQ/CC is just silly. It is what it is and is part of the excitement. Second, Mario poach? Maybe. But he started after the gate opened and the trails are free for bikers, hikers, and even vehicles along the route. Get over it. Enjoy the ride Mario. Third, my first CC last year hurt. Training hurt, i was slow, and unmotivated to ride for a long time after. This event takes work and dedication that you have to experience to appreciate. Those of you riding it, you have my respect.

Good luck everyone. If anyone needs a slow training partner, if family life allows, i will pedal with you for the base miles you need to complete this ride. Open offer.

Almost forgot... Warrior's Society, you all put on a great event. Thank you again for all the work you put in to making the trails ready and this event happen as well as it does, year after year. :beer:

10. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    For those of you who got shut out, why not just do it on another day? If you do it a couple of weeks before the event you'll probably get those that are in to ride it as a training ride. Just a thought...

11. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    In for CC #2. I've done both CC & VQ on SS; now it's time to try both with gears and squish. I'm hoping to shave at least an hour off of my time in each.

12. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

In for VQ #5! I just can't help signing up for this ride every year, at first it was because of the fun volunteers and personal challenge, now it's those plus the tradition of beautiful winter training rides in the Santa Anas. Winter would seem so dull without VQ preparation.

13. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Well said. I signed up for the 1st time last year but struggled training enough and almost DNS'd but I didn't want to be one of the able-bodied DNSers... Managed to make the cutoffs then suffered the rest of the climbs but got my feather, proudly.

Great event, glad I did, hope to do CC again, or VQ, one day but could and would not commit this year.

Those of you who signed up and got in, please give the event and its participants the respect it deserves by showing up and starting unless you really have a legitimate excuse, like you broke your leg, a family emergency, etc.

The realization I came to, and why I showed up, was that I would regret not showing up and at least trying than showing up, giving my all and failing. Plus, even attempting the event is a great workout and accomplishment in itself.

I was fortunate--I had a good day, set a PR from Beeks to Motorway even though I thought I was holding back. If it wasn't for that stint, I would never have made it to 4 corners in time as I suffered up Maple--took me forever.

Kudos all CC / VQers!!! Get out there and earn those feathers now and you won't suffer as much in April; good luck!

14. papa wheelie

papa wheelie New Member

Hey I am was just wondering, if the company that is doing the ride insurance refund, has any plans to have a waiting list or some way to transfer those slots that are not going to be used.? Or maybe a charity auction for them, I would start the bidding at 300.00… just tossing it out there. And yes I accept the fact that I hit register now the very second itbecame available and got the dreaded event full. I even tried the VQ and gotthe same Oh well

15. genusmtbkr5

No waiting list. Please read previous post. We've done a waiting list and transfers in the past and charged a $25 transfer fee, no longer wished to continue once it became a headache with people transferring entries the last minute.
    We have no way of knowing who will show up or not. You can search past threads on this and why we stopped do it.

16. papa wheelie

papa wheelie New Member

But there has never been a ride insurance policy before. that's all

17. genusmtbkr5

I have no idea what you're talking about..., "ride insurance"? I know that we have to have liability insurance to do this event as most organizers do.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Yup...... No waiting lists......no refunds......no transfers.

You our either got a spot and are in.....or you got shut out, so you are not getting a spot. You can always try again next year.

We we had a participant a few years ago register for one event, sell his spot, buy another spot, then trade with his buddy to the other event.....we were thoroughly confused. This is partially why we no longer do transfers.

Since we no longer do transfers or refunds....there is no need for a waiting list.

19. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    I'm soooo poachin' this! At least as far as the hamburger stand. How far is that again? ;)

20. papa wheelie

papa wheelie New Member

I am referring to the 7.00 dollar fee that was charged if you bought the event insurance. it said that if you could not make the event for any reason you would be given a full refund. It was right there on the active registration for both CC and VQ.