Velo Pasadena

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by TooManyTacos, Apr 8, 2007.

1. TooManyTacos

TooManyTacos Or Not Enough

I shop at Jenson when I'm visiting my parents' house in Upland. They've always been helpful and they have some nutso deals sometimes!

Bought my Kona Jake from Coates Cyclery in Pomona. Thumbs up for them too--it was a good buying experience.

I had originally checked out the Jake at Velo Pasadena, but the guy there tried to give me the hard sell. It was just really weird. He had a bunch of high end roadie stuff, so maybe he just wasn't used to selling something on the lower end of the price spectrum. In any case, I felt like he was trying to make me feel guilty for taking my time in deciding, and didn't really dig that.

2. davidB

davidB Active Member

sorry to bring up an old review, but it's pretty spot on.

Bought my first bike (entry level Kona HT) from Velo back in April when my brother bought his first from Incycle the same time. Whoever I dealt with didn't seem to care or want my business, I stood at the counter forever with no one asking what I needed. They order my bike, don't really offer any assistance like I had heard other shops do (fitting/comparing/advice), and when my bike was delivered/built, it took them 3 days to say it was ready, and that's only because I called them, apparently they had just finished it (told it'd be done friday, picked it up tuesday)

since then, I would take my bike to incycle up the street who were much friendlier and helpful (seemed to care), though their prices aren't that friendly, and after they quoted me $240 more on a wheelset than another STR favorite shop while I was somewhat of a regular there, I just have no reason to go back their either.

that said, I just got my build done not too long ago. Not liking Incycle's prices, I took a chance with Velo again after hearing their prices. They cut my fork, reinstalled it, adjusted the FD and RD and fixed the full housing I put on them. Came out much cheaper than expected, and one of their mechs was very helpful, however that just isn't something I have seen (or heard while on the phone) from anyone else there.

apparently there's a shop called Open Road that I'm hearing good things about, i'll probably check them out soon enough.

TBD local shop > incycle > velo

3. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    That's a great place! If you want a personal relationship with a bike shop, this is the place. He'll help you out with old parts, new parts, always rounds the prices down, super good dood.

4. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

That's peculiar. I personally know the owner (related through marriage) and he's a good guy and they do good honest business, for most part. I personally don't go there myself (aside from that fact it's weird doing business with family) because they're mainly a high-end roadie shop. He's HUGE on Time frames and road bikes in general and use to race professionally. His mechanics are good but I don't know how much they really know about suspensions, discs, etc.

NO, NOT Open Road!!! Anywhere but Open Road! The guy is some eccentric nut.One day he could be your friend and treat you like a king, the next day, he'll kick you out of his chaotic looking shop and never talk to you again. If first impressions mean anything, you'll walk right out of the place as it has no organization whatsoever. It's like a pile of parts everywhere. Ask him for something and the real entertainment begins. He'll turn the place inside out looking for it.

In Pasadena/Pasadena, I've had hit and miss experiences with shops. Some like it but I've had attitude when I've visited Pasadena Cyclery. Incycle is good and has a great selection and good service but like any retail store, you're not going to get the best prices always. Helen's in Arcadia, same kind of deal.

I personally use an old buddy I've known who has a little shop out in Glendale. He doesn't have the best selection and not always the best on prices but man, is he reliable and loyal. I'll call him, go in, buy him lunch and work on the bike with him and be gone. I don't think that's how he is with everybody as we're very good friends. I haven't looked much elsewhere, for obvious reasons.