Ust/Tubeless Tires Help/Advise(merged/sticky)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by berringer, May 26, 2009.

1. bwgone

bwgone New Member

Converted to tubeless 3 months ago after a getting a flat on every other ride. I have not had a flat since. WORKS GREAT

2. Gojira

Gojira New Member

Face puncher
    +1 for tubeless. I have pulled thorns out of the tire only to hear the hiss of air. Turn the tire around to get the Stan's to seal it...good to go.

3. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

For best results use UST tires.

4. ElChavo

ElChavo New Member

+1 for UST tires with Stan's

5. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Best way is not Stan's. Conversion rate is not that reliable, but is very economic for many (if it works) without the need to invest in a full out tubeless system like Bonty TLR or UST. UST has weight issues and Stan's appeals to many due to it's low weight, which many associate with higher performance. Can't say which is best, but UST and TLR and other "Tubeless ready" systems have matured to the point that they're all worth checking out. They all have ups and downs, but I like tubeless ready tires and UST rims, personally.

If you care for weight savings, go for a "tubeless ready" tire. Bonty TLR, Geax TNT, WTB TLR, Specialized 2Bliss, etc. Basically an UST tire, with similar bead and maybe a stiffer casing, without the extra lining within the tire which may account for about 100g of extra weight. They will convert with similar success as an UST tire mainly due to the bead and tolerances, but require the use of sealant (ex. Stan's) to hold air reliably. UST rims may not be as light as Stan's, but since the spoke holes are drilled through on Stan's, that's another place for air and sealant to leak out of and you may have to deal with having to redo your tubeless setup if your wheel needs work and you need to rip up the tape to access the nipples. If you're buying a new rim for tubeless, I'd say go for the real thing if you're hard on your wheels.

Also beware that some tires get eaten up by Stans, since it uses a solution to keep the latex (read: another kind of rubber) liquified. Especially if you leave your wheel sitting for long periods of time (weeks with the stans pooled up in one spot) and your tire has a thin casing. I've seen a few pics of Kenda tires which have become so thinned that they explode on the trail from the air pressure and general punishment from riding.

Carry a spare tube anyways with tubeless. I've heard of tires actually get pinch flatted running tubeless with low pressure. More than likely, you'll be giving them out to other riders on the trail who haven't seen the light.

I like tubeless, mainly since I had a habit of running slightly higher pressure to prevent pinch flats and compromised on performance, but it's a pain to setup the first few times, especially if you're doing a conversion or ghetto method without UST or tubeless ready parts. Disappointing when the conversion fails too and you're down some cash and are back to running tubes. Depending on how often you flat, it may be worth it. I got flats every other ride practically, but went 5+ months without a flat when I went Stan's conversion tubeless with Stan's Flow rims, though had 2 cases where I lost the tubeless seal while transporting my bike (fixed by doing the "Stan's shake and lay flat" procedure and pumping it back up). Think it was cause the bike was resting on the tire, with constant sideways pressure on it, for about 30 minutes. Stan's strip method worked on my old wheelset's front, but not rear (got 85% of my flats in the rear).

6. Maddog

Maddog New Member

P.E. Teacher
    Cheap, simple alternative for the mechanically challenged like me; Slime Tubes! 3+ years and 3,000 miles with no flats on the trail. One flat the next day after a ride due to a bad valve. Not sure if they're heavier than tubeless but they work for me!

7. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    It work great for punctures.
    but I had recently some problems with Tire burping.

I did a low hop on a flat area and I guess a stone or a stick pushed my side wall. The Tire burped, became flat and I crashed hard.
    I hurt my shoulder. Luckily I had a spare inner tube so I installed that, as the bead will not seal using the hand pump and my almost useless hand

Also after riding technical trails, I see some wetness on the tires close to the rims - an evidence of tire burps from banging around rocks.

BTW, my tires are Spesh 29 2.2 Purgatory 2bliss.

8. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I've had nothing but a positive experience using Stans but I'm wondering if your post is asking more about going tubeless.

I use Stans more for making sure the tire seals up when first mounting it. Many will disagree with me here but in my experience, it's just been easier.

I moved to Nevegal UST tires a little over a year ago and could not be happier. The side walls on the UST tires are much more burly.

Hope this helps

Marty

9. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Thank You, I use rhynolite rims with velociraptors now, would UST tires work on those tube type rims ?

10. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    I have been using stans for 5 years, if you change it out every 4 months you can go a year or untill you replace your tires.

11. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I am thinking of tubeless for both MTB and road. Probably with road is that I can't find too many tire options. I want to go with Schwalbe Marathon Supre/Plus or something like that, but from what I have researched they won't work?

12. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    UST Question

Do UST tires work on older tube type rims such as sun-ringle rynholites ?

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

14. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Tubeless Tire HELP !

Well, I rolled the dice and took the UST plunge. Problem is, I can't seem to get my Nevegal 2.10 tires to seal up on my old school sun-ringle ryhnolite 27mm rims. I'm using Stans sealant and valve stems, The tires do not want to seal.Im new to this UST thing and am totally lost.Any help appreciated, Thank you.

15. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Would running the tires with tubes for a couple of weeks help the tire conform to the rim ? Or maybe placing a nylon strap around the circumference of the tire during inflation, forcing the bead into the rim. There's always the old off-road 4x4 trick, lighting off starting fluid in the tire.............

16. Bungle

Bungle Spitting Mad

Have you put tape or rim stripes on your rims? You have to seal your wheels up. If they are sealed, the only other trick is to apply air fast with an air compressor. A floor pump can be a pain.

17. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Used an auto-tire shop compressor, worked like a charm

18. Mbarley

Mbarley Skin grows back

I'm running the same tires with stans on non-ust rims. I used 2 layers of the yellow rim tape and HEATED the valve stem to poke though the tape instead of cutting. I had to really tighten the nut on the stem too. They were loosing air overnight so I added one more 1/2 scoop of stans and let them sit for an hour on their sides. I'm several rides in now and no leaks at all! BTW, I only use a floor pump. If your tire is seated correctly, it won't need the stans to hold air for a while anyway. Good luck

19. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Just mounted 2-bliss Captain and 2-bliss Fastrak on a new set of 29er Roval Rims for my MTB...damn things held 35 psi without sealant for about 2-hours while they stretched out of their folded shape...mounted up super easy with Stan's and no leaks, no mess.

Now on to the Mavic Ksyrium elite road wheels...they're a *itch to mount tires on, almost act USB-like with the rim hook. Since the spoke drilling doesn't go all the way through the rim, all I need are the valves and a set of road tires that'll be compatible with Stan's...I've heard some tires don't like Stan's secret sauce...any warnings?

20. kyle_h

kyle_h New Member

screen printer
    i want to go tubeless on my road bike but i don't want to go through the hassle of pouring stans in my 23c tire, its hard enough to mount my 2.35 mtb tires. haha