USADA now after Lance

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Jun 13, 2012.

1. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    That was apparent from your first post in this thread.

2. roach

Environmental Planner
    USA today just put up an excellent article on this never-ending drama:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colu...nan-Armstrong-has-no-room-to-whine/55588166/1

I particulary like how the article ends:

"USADA's allegations against Armstrong have been a long time coming, too long for many Armstrong fans and apologists who continue to maintain he has taken more than 500 drug tests and never failed a one. Considering that admitted cheaters Marion Jones and Mark McGwire, among others, also never failed a drug test, that argument wears a bit thin.
    This of course leads to the "enough already" argument, which, on some level, we all can endorse; the manifestation of the steroid fatigue we all suffer as our long national nightmare with cheating sports heroes continues unabated. This philosophy often leads otherwise normal people to say we can't catch everyone, so it's not fair to catch anyone.
    Bank robbers around the world hope this idea catches on." :clap:

3. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    That's pretty short sighted.

I think they should make 200 clones of Lance, then juice 'em from birth and have an ALL LANCE TOUR in 2022. Or clone the top sprinters, time trialers, climbers and domestiques from the last ten years and make various teams out of them. Use every available drug and technique and give us something we can really watch. Maybe call it "Le Tour au Jus."

4. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Ok thanks d!ck wad

5. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    She makes some good points in that USA Today piece, but lets also be careful to distinguish between news and opinion. Her column doesn't really add to the facts any more than much of the content of this thread.

I have a problem with the talk of a "massive conspiracy." This is purely my opinion, but it doesn't pass the smell test to think there was a cover-up involving multiple riders, doctors, trainers, team officials, suppliers, testing agencies, maybe even race officials, etc. which lasted for 10+ years without being discovered, leaked, or confessed (other than 2 riders who were cheats themselves ). It's one thing when the government pulls that off (but their record isn't the greatest either), but in the private sector and in a highly competitive setting where countless people would benefit from blowing the lid, it's just hard for me to accept that concept. I'll be very interested to see what they can prove and where the alleged conspiracy leads.

6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Golf? Really you started your argument about PEDs with golf?

7. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Yeah I was gonna say... I thought they had beef with him...

8. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    The only difference between the peleton and the contenders is the use (in very very small amounts) of peds...Gheez how much further can they beat a dead horse?What a waste of time, effort and money...and for what? So some could say "I took down Lance" and magically the sport is clean and the doping goes away. What a load of crap

9. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    This should simply be about the truth. If your spouse repeatedly cheated on you 10 years ago, would not matter anymore? If your Priest, uhh I'll skip that one. Never been caught riding a closed trail, poacher or not? Of course these are more important issues but are simply about the same thing, truth. An inch of rope is the same as an inch of steel, both an inch.

The lies may be old, but the profiteering rolls on. I think there has to be some sense of no matter how rich, how connected, how pious, you will get what's coming.

10. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    sorry an inch is an inch but rope and steel are not the same. if my spouse was a slut years ago but got it out of her system and is the love of my life now and we have a great marriage - how does knowing she cheated on me 10 years ago add any positive value to our relationship? does your avatar (flaming bicycle) represent your thoughts on competitive cycling and professional cyclists?

11. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

No, no, no. We should grow them like you said, then put them in a real-life Hunger Games and watch the carnage.

12. bing!

bing! Active Member

usada needs to GET OVER IT. just delayed is justice denied. right now this is simply revenge.

13. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to use golfers?

14. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^^ Unlike cyclists, golfers don't eat their own!

(but they do know how to self-police cheaters like Tiger)

15. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    A comparison to McGwire never testing postitive isn't really valid. He used Andro when it was not against baseball's rules. And, during most of his career there was absolutely no testing. Near the end, there was testing once a year - announced ahead of time at spring training.

Lance has been tested much more. There is supposedly a positive for Lance from ~2001; but he was never sanctioned - for whatever reason.

He did also have at least one instance of using something for "saddle sores" that needed a therapeutic use exemption that he got only after being caught.

As I said, he's either the best doper or didn't. Sucks that until this ends he (or anyone else accused by USADA) can't race.

16. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It is not like you juice and then become super human, it still takes lots of hard work and endless hours of training and pain.

I expect people to cheat and behave badly when big money is involved. People will do anything including prostitution of the soul (lying) to get rich and to get what they want.

17. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Marion Jones never tested positive in any of the hundreds of tests during her career. She just didn't have the team to cover her tracks as well as LA.

Who cares really? Not too many people think he was clean -- but he's been such a d!ck about it, dare I say "bully", that it will be good for the charade to be over with.

18. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    I hope you know I was referring to the measurement.

I can't comment on other relationships but if my wife was suspected of systematic cheating, and adamantly denied it in the face of witnesses and possible scientific evidence I would have an issue. Furthermore, if she founded a company called Marraigestrong that made millions of dollars to protect and promote her brand, possibly based on lies, that would compound my issue. If some of her past best friends came up to me and said they all did it regularly, and she was the leader then I may just burst into flames while riding my bicycle. But that's just me.

Since you asked, my feeling for competitive cycling so passionate that I would take the PR hit to set the record straight and send a message to all that we have the most stringent testing in the world and we'll erase your legacy if you are caught, no matter how unpopular or how long to takes, years, decades, centuries.

19. roach

Environmental Planner
  20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Marion Jone was using the Balco stuff that was undetectable. Look at the list of people who were involved in Balco deal none are in sports like Lance. The only cyclist was a short track racer. What they are accuzing Lance of using are detectible and have been for some time. So if he was doing these how did not get caught?