US Cup - Kenda Series/H20 Overdrive Triple Crown #1 - Bonelli Park 3/13-14

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by davidB, Mar 1, 2010.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

2. minhster

minhster DNF'd

I can second that. The WHOLE downhill section that comes after the climb after crossing the road will be JAMMED on race day. It only takes one person to walk that section (which i'm sure will happen since I had to walk it once or twice on my many test runs). After that downhill there is that off camber section (where the bridges are) to the short climbs. I can see that totally being congested as well.

This might sound stupid but since I have problems with those sections I'm sorta hoping that it will be bottle necked so I can take it easy (read: walk it) with everyone else. :lol:

I definitely liked last year's course better though. Probably because it better suited my style of riding. Either way, the course is what it is. Let's stop hating on it and just race/ride it for what it is and enjoy it! I'm over trying to "win" in this race since it's not my type of course so I'm just gonna sit in the back and enjoy the ride!!! :beer:

3. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

I'm the guy that figures stuff out.
    Doesn't sound stupid. The funny thing is, I was having difficulties in with the same section being a clyde and having traction problems. My plan was to have enough of an opening to hit that section with speed. I usually have to do that on other trails or else I end up doing the "monster mash" the whole way up at a cadence of about, say...um 3. :drunk:
    Momentum is my friend who, on climbs, never returns my calls and I always have to chase down.

Down hills, momentum rides me like Zorro until my brakes scream for mercy.

4. whybother

whybother New Member

i don't think those spots will be as jammed up as you guys think.

i do appreciate the fact that there won't be Cat2's and 3's on course at the same time as us though! :beer::bang:

5. minhster

minhster DNF'd

Whoa whoa whoa, ok Mr. Pro/Cat 1, I see you're too good for the rest of us... lol, JK! ;)

It's also nice for Cat 2/3 guys to not have to race on the same course as pro/1 though. I remember a race where I was struggling up a climb and all of a sudden I get pass by 20+ Pro/Cat1 guys.... for the second time!!! Also good to know that I'm not interfering with someone's race that REALLY cares for it. Cat 2/3 people REALLY shouldn't be super competitive... it's suppose to be FUN. If it bottlenecks dont cry about it, take a moment to take a breather and crack a conversation with your fellow competitors.

6. whybother

whybother New Member

haha... what is funny is i feel the same way (about cat1)! on course i go fast but that doesn't mean i don't crack jokes or have fun with it. i can always tell the super serious guys because they won't joke around with me at the start line. :lol:

i don't like the idea of the cat2's and 3's on course for safety reasons. the relative velocity of me on the DH vs a cat 2 or 3 can be significant and i don't want to scare anyone or have them get hurt. the DH is where i really get to have my FUN!!!! :bang::bang:

the super competitive guys also pull silly tactics like blocking someone like me on the descent... :?:#-o

7. nervosa

nervosa New Member

Accounts Payable and Purchasing
    UCI Cat 3 Champion!

The most important thing is to have fun,however it is a "race" so do your best,but I have seen some guys real competitive in Cat 3,especially since you need some placings to petition up the Cat 1 from 2 or 3

8. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!!!!!

And don't forget to spring forward to Daylight Savings Time for the Sunday races!!!! otherwise there will be a number of people showing up at the wrong time!

9. davidB

davidB Active Member

The feeling is mutual! ;)

It is pretty comforting to see that I'll be in the first grouping to take off come late Sunday morning. Not that I catch that many people anyway in another races, but its good to know there won't be anyone but my class out there for the first few minutes.

I'm actaually at bonelli right now (on the skinny tires though) and there's a horse being ridden up the trail we take down that parallels via verde, boooooo. Trails looky muddy, and any minute now it should start sprinkling. I'm looking up and seeing nothing but rain clouds from here all the way home. Joy.

10. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Can someone explain the Le Mans style SuperD start? Am I to understand that they have everyone sprint to their bikes, mount, and hammer off at the same time?

Does the course start on a fireroad?

11. minhster

minhster DNF'd

Correct. Le Mans style start means that all the bikes are at one area and all the racers are at another. When the start begins you run to your bike and then take off with it. A quick cyclocross style mount will save you a lot of time here!

I've seen some events where they make everyone lay on the floor first and then you have to jump on your feet on run to your bike. I'm pretty sure that the triple crown is not this way but just throwing it out there.

Here's the biggest Le Mans style start in all of mountain biking! 24hours of Moab!!!

[​IMG]

12. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

I was there around the same time, but I don't think I saw you. The trails looked so good I decided to explore a little. :) You guys are gonna have a blast this weekend!

13. jbiron

jbiron New Member

Dad
    Spent some time at Bonelli this morning trying out the new sections. The new north side climb up from the lake still has some muddy spots, but should be good to go by race day. Its challenging, with just enough rock and pitch changes to keep you honest. The lake side fire road, past the swimming beach, has a couple of big mud holes that likely won't dry out for the race. The new tapped off zig zag near the finish looks like a World Cup course where we'll have to weave around trees and then drop down a chute to the grass.

With Sunny and windy days forcast the course should mostly dry out for the race.

Should be fun!

Should be a fun course.

14. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

I registered for Super D. I'm going to run the entire California State Series.

15. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

I'm the guy that figures stuff out.
    I was lucky enough to get out and ride Bonelli today. The course is drying up nicely. The section I had difficutly with that non clyde riders didn't is no longer an issue. Didn't seem that hard since I didn't have to battle mud and wet grass.

Saw a lot of riders out there. Met Vlad - cool guy. Way cool. Made the day even better.

Everybody should get out there and ride the course. If you are not going to race, ride the course. Show up as a spectator. Enjoy what the US Cup has planned for the event. It will be better than last year and made to ge a great experience for all. :beer:

16. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:

Thanks! Met Method X (Eric) today too! Cool guy Way cool!

The new Bonelli Course is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! Couldn't help riding it lap after lap after lap.

Lots and lots of new singletrack which allows you to just run a number of combinations. Rode the Cat 2/3 and portions of the Pro course. Easy to tie them in. Love the rocky singletrack drop on the north side towards the lake! Love the new singletrack climb over the two new bridges. And the best is the new singletrack near the end of the course in the forested section. First lap kicked my butt a little until I got used to it, but from there it was smooth flying. A couple of nice techy challenges to spice things up a bit. A couple of muddy spots but by the end of the day it was almost dry. Should be no issues with mud by the weekend. Nice and hardpacked with no dusty sections. No sand here.

Some may have considered Bonelli too fire road and not enough ST... tame up to now, but ride this course once and you won't think it any longer.

Believe we now truly have a UCI World Cup level course in our back yard with literally all of it spectator accessible. Heard that Sid Taberlay said it reminded him of the World Cup course in Madrid.

If you want to spectate, the top pros will be lining up on Saturday. Great views from the staging area and awesome views from the north parking lot next to Puddlestone lake. Watch the rest of us on Sunday.

I've upgraded from last year so this will be my first Cat 2 race, and hoping to do really good given the course.

Will be out there most of the day tomorrow too riding the course. Will bring the SLR this time, take some pics and post them here tomorrow night so stay tuned for more.

If you haven't raced XC before get out and race this Sunday. You'll experience the best around! If you are a racer do not miss this one!!!!

Saw Scott, Ty, Manny and Co. out there today! Thank you Guys for putting this all together and all the work you put in building this course!

GO SHO AIR!!!!!!

17. davidB

davidB Active Member

Rode it this afternoon after a hard fast 15mi ride locally. Went to Bonelli to cruise around, found most of the course, ran into a pro woman and her husband a few miles in ;) and rode some of the course with them, had the intention of leaving but that didn't turn out as expected. Went to do some more exploring on the first half of the course and ended up doing a full lap as the sun went down after getting some clarification about the course.

Fun course for sure, with a little bit of classic Bonelli thrown in. A few mud spots, technical spots for sure, and a really fun course.

18. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    Is this course marked now? I'm going to ride there today.

19. Dukeneverwinter

Dukeneverwinter New Member

How was the new climb by the drainage ditch? Last sunday it was rideable but super muddy. Any better? The only COncern I have about the course is that spot. With over 100 riders going before me I hope it will hold out.

20. davidB

davidB Active Member

Not really, but most of it is trails that are already there, it's just a matter of knowing where you're going i guess.

The new singletrack by the lake? the singletrack they cut out over there goes over 2 bridges they built, and was pretty rideable but still a bit wet. This is the only part I couldn't follow well, because it looks like there are 2 options but one turned out to be the Pro course. I guess there's a simple pass through for everyone else which would explain the other course markers that were out there.