Two Wheels One Planet (Threads merged)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by .8down, Sep 26, 2007.

1. paulbschmidt

paulbschmidt KNEEL BEFORE ZOD

Vice President of Loaded Precision Products, speci
    Home Page:
    Thanks To Two Wheels One Planet

Just a quick shout out and note of thanks over to Craig and the team over at TWOP for getting my Reign up and running and in time for this weekends ride. Not only did he work his tail off to get it done quickly, but he made sure (after a little miscommunication) that it was done when it was supposed to be. Just in time for a little venture to Porcupine Rim.

Thanks Craig. The service you provided was not only professional, but I appreciate all the insight and taking the time to answer my questions.

For everybody else, stop by and check them out if you need some work done. Its a good shop and great people.

PS

2. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Are we talking about "Mr. Clean" lookin' Craig at Fullerton?

3. paulbschmidt

paulbschmidt KNEEL BEFORE ZOD

Vice President of Loaded Precision Products, speci
    Home Page:
    Nah, Craig at the El Toro location.

4. Edog

Edog Member

They helped me warrenty my Reign a few years ago and give me good a servicing:-k

5. Jubz

Jubz Member

I've been in Costa Mesa and El Toro stores, and all were really nice and knew quite a bit about the Trance X's I was interested in. Both shops had a good inventory of the Trance X's.

6. jdavid

jdavid New Member

This is the LBS chain that impresses me the least. I've brought a bike in there several times for minimal things involving installing parts and tires and there is inevitably something wrong with whatever I get back from them. Don't bring them anything out of the ordinary even slightly. I'll take "snooty" guys that know how to work on bikes any day.

7. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    Is Two wheels one Planet A small oc chain of bike shops? I thought there were only the two in Buena park and fullerton?

I was in the fully one today a few times. Nothing but helpful people.

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

In short, there are several Two Wheels One Planet shops, but they're not all owned by the same owner, and they're not really a chain.

There's kind of an odd explanation for that. Fullerton Bike Shop and Buena Park Bike Shop are owned by another person. However, from what I recall, the orignal concept behind Two Wheels One Planet (TWOP) was that shops of different owners were essentially getting together as somewhat of a buyer's consortium. The goal was to get better buying power for the shops. Sorry I don't remember all the details, but just know that FB and BP bike shops are owned by a different person than who owns the rest of the TWOP shops, and I understand that Fullerton Bike Shop and Buena Park Bike Shop are no longer affiliated with TWOP.

9. Dan White

Dan White Member

See Fritz at Two Wheel One Planet in Lake Forest

My son Fritz has worked at TWOP in Lake Forest for 2 years. He's been a serious rider for 17 years and really knows bikes, he enjoys helping riders of all abilities get on the right equipment. It helps that TWOP has two great bike lines with Giant and Trek.

10. jdavid

jdavid New Member

Fritz seems like a very nice guy and seems to know a lot about bikes. And I have no idea if he touched or even looked at my bike when it was left there.

I've spent $200 on tune ups there this summer already. I ride twice, maybe three times a week. I've had to bring the bike back 3 times for re-dos. Once, intalling tubeless tires, I had to wait a week, was charged $50 labor, got it back with the front tire on the back and vice-versa, and both of the tires went flat before I could ride it the following day. I took it back and they did do it right, the second time.

But then again, after spending $200 there this summer, my wheels are still badly out of true. You would think they might notice that, and at least ask if I wanted it fixed, right? But noooo.

Another time, dropped it off for something mundane, got it back and it ghost shifted or chain sucked every 50 yards and put an end to a planned ride. They fixed it, but only after insisting that they were unable to get it to do the same thing.

Had grip shifters installed there. They installed full sized grips, not narrow ones, did not call to ask, did not cut the grips to fit...anyone using grip shifters knows what this means. The brakes then get installed on the inside of the shifter, and the grip shifters take up more space than trigger shifters on the bar, which means that to brake I am having to take my hand off the grip, move it 3 inches to the center, and then brake. It takes seconds instead of split seconds. If you are doing so in a turn, that means the leverage that you typically get with the handlebars is greatly limited. It's like steering a car with one of those little chain steering wheels like they used to put on low riders.

Took it back, the manager got defensive, and tried to explain to me why this was the right way to do it. He apparently ran grip shift on his own bike in the very same configuration...:eek: To his credit, one very nice employee there observed it to be "completely unsafe" though he didn't know it was done there.

Another weirdness of theirs is their great lack of equipment. They had to special order everything to run my tires tubeless. You would have thought I was asking them to order O-rings for a space shuttle. It was crazy I tell ya.

Don't get me wrong, they ALL seem like nice guys, but I have had too many mundane mess ups to have any confidence that a knowledgeable person will be doing work on a bike left there.

11. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

I had a bike built at TWOP (Lake Forest) about 5 months ago and have been very happy! Fritz was the one helping me. Had a great experience there with everyone I talked to.

12. Fritz White

Fritz White New Member

I appreciate all of the honest feedback. I always strive to satisfy every customer's needs. Sometimes the mark is not met and we have to take a look at how we can improve the situation. For the record, I do not work on the bikes, however I do check bicycles in for repair.

When I started at TWOP they did not stock tubeless, period. It was explained to me that items such as tubeless mountain bike tires and accessories don't sell because there is no demand for them in our area. It seemed more likely to me that we weren't seeing this demand because it was known we don't carry it while there are plenty of local shops that do.

The benefits of tubeless for mountain are undeniable. I'm curious as to the benefits for road and I've spoken to a few serious roadies that have been impressed with the system. After about a year at the shop pushing to carry this stuff I am proud to say we do now stock sealant and tubeless tire options. JDavid, I'm disappointed to hear about your issues and if my memory serves me correctly I recall you and your bike. I hope your shifting/flat before riding issues were resolved following your last visit. Our team has made progress in both communication and repairs/set up in general.

Though I don't personally work on the bikes, I have strongly encouraged that every bike brought in for repair be test ridden before and after service when possible to give us the best possible understanding of the condition and ride quality of the bicycle. The grip shift issue is just embarassing. I will be sharing your posts with my fellow staff members and discuss ways we can continue to improve upon our service to you guys.

Thank you for the feedback guys. I hope that you will still consider us for service in the future and let us know how we can improve.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  13. SlowandLow

SlowandLow stuck in traffic

Engineer/Planner/Cat Herder
    I've bought a bike two different times at the Lake Forest location and was very happy with the service I got. Neither one was a big ticket item (for my kids) but the staff was nice to work with. When I was shopping for my current ride, I also got good help there, but ultimately went with a brand they don't carry so I bought elsewhere.

14. rmesa1

rmesa1 Member

After reading these post i will have to talk to a friend about giving them another go he went in cash in hand to purchase a bike. He knew what he wanted all ready called and got the price quote from them. When he went in was told they didnt have his size was almost talked into buying a different size but decided to order the correct size. Then was told it would be additional cost to order the bike passed on the purchase because he felt the extra charge was just to push him towards the in stock bike and is still looking for another place to buy the bike. I guess maybe he was just dealing with the wrong person.

15. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

This is the bike shop review forum. If we're reviewing their shop (most people tend to only complain about something rather than post positive reviews...its just human nature), then they, as frequent riders and posters in other forums, respond as a representative of said shop(s) they open themselves up to further criticism (see all the threads, you'll notice ongoing disagreements more due to lack of communication by one or both parties).

Posting a sale or notice of providing new services/brands/parts within the Bike Shop Review forum, is in my opinion, entirely legit in my opinion (not humble). Its not hijacking the thread or spamming it with a graphic paste-in of a flyer or ad copy that would otherwise show up in the mailbox. Its also a 2-year, 2-page thread...glad the moderators are who they are, and not some of the membership.

16. thebeast64

thebeast64 Member

I have to say that so far I have not had a good experience with the Buena Park Bicycles. When ordering new brake pads, Barry (Sales manager) seemed to want to talk down to me as if I didn't know what I was talking about, and now that I've got the new pads, the brake system that I bought them for is unfortunately now warrantied due to it having faulty calipers. So I asked if I could get my money back or possibly store credit like any normal place would give, and they said no, and I quote, "We dont want to be stuck with those brakes pads" VERY poor service if you ask me, and I will never be going back there for anything.

Ok, rants over.

17. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

the guys at the one in costa mesa are nice and helpful.. i bought a few things like stems/saddles/truing. they did a good job.

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Did you at all use the pads you bought?

19. thebeast64

thebeast64 Member

Nope. New in box. Havent even picked them up yet because they told me over the phone no refund would be given.

20. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Were they a special order?