Tweasol down at Whistler

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by herzalot, Aug 15, 2014.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Hanging around with Mo is dangerous:

Josh Clavicle.jpg

Tweasol had a nasty OTB on a rental trail bike in Whistler after manhandling the hardest parts of the mountain. Broken clavicle and more...

Heal up quick bro!

#-o

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  2. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

Ribs are painful enough, with that break it's a triple wammy!
    Heal up soon!

3. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I watched his GoPro footage. He rode Fade to Black, Shleyer and Clown Shoes like a boss (all double blacks) then went nose-heavy on a routine table on what appeared to be Crank-it-Up (blue). It's the routine parts that seem to sneak up on us and put us down. Danimal in the parking lot, me on Lynx, dcrfx on Lynx, Drum-n on Rock-It, countless FLOOPers and now Josh on C-I-U.

Here's to a quick recovery, Tweasol! :beer:

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Hey I've been to that place for the same thing, well part of it was the same thing.

Whistler seems hard on collar bones, I had 4 others in the urgent care at Whister with collar bones, hell both of us in the truck getting taken there has collar bones.

lucky the heal up fairly easy and fairly fast.

5. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Here's a question to the masses reading this thread...

Would a "pressure suit" or some type of shoulder padding have prevented the broken bone? None of us like riding in pressure suits whether it's because of the heat, the restricted movement or looking like a joey, but I like being injured even less than I like being uncool (literally and figuratively).

What say you - other six STR people? Any direct experience where you think your pads prevented a fracture - specifically of the clavicle?

6. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    i doubt the shoulder padding would help - on another note a friend is getting back into mountain biking after a long time out and shoulder injury from something else. He is at whistler recently for work in another business and says to himself, i should rent a bike my shoulder is finally healed. Then within 5-10 minutes three guys walk past him with arm slings rolled over in pain, while in full body armor. He decides to hold off for a while longer....

7. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    So true about Whistler.. came home unscathed the past couple of trips (knock on wood) but I fractured a couple of ribs on Heart of Darkness during a prior trip.. basically it's the lower section of Crank It Up, so same thing.. it's easy to let it go on those types of trails because they are so fluid and dialed.. and the dirt is so perfect.. heal up fast! On the pads comment, it's hard to say. I do know Ryan was wearing some very good knee/shin guards when he crashed in Mammoth a couple of years ago and fractured his tibia

8. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

I really hope you told/asked josh about posting this up. It is slightly violating otherwise! Josh was sending it like a boss props to you Budd

9. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

It depends on how the pressure suit is designed. I would like to think that it's designed to spread out the energy of an impact, but it could just be a bunch of pads sewn together. In regards to the clavicle, I think you're SOL if the impact is coming straight down on it.

10. bing!

bing! Active Member

What a hard shell shoulder plate will do in a "perfect situation" is it will allow the shoulder to skid off the impact site rather than gain traction with the ground.

A naked shoulder inside a jersey has a tendency to stick to the impact site and absorb the impact of a crash. Just like putting down your foot onto hot asphalt, the traction of a shoulder is pretty impressive. The impact POPs the clavicle, breaking it.

When a hard shell shoulder plate hits the ground, the hope is that the slippery surface of the hard shell will allow the shoulder to slide off the impact site and deflect the force of impact towards the forward motion of the rider, dissipating the impact. Tuck and roll helps here a lot. If the hit does not allow deflection, then the shoulder injury may be unavoidable. The clavicle breaks when the body collapses onto the shoulder and places upon it a few G's of the riders own body weight.

As for the torso, the chest plates distribute the force over a larger area, dissipating the force as well.

Am not a fan of 3DO only for dh applications. Foam only armor can slide off easier and also does not provide the slippery surface as a had she'll does. Hard shells FTW.

11. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Yikes - good point! We exchanged a few texts, but were not explicit about it. I'll pul the x-ray until/unless I get explicit permission.

And yes, he rode the entire mountain like a boss.

12. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Nope, it's all about impact forces. Most pressure suits have a lil padding there but not enough to stop it. As to the idea is causes it to slide I disagree there my collar bone was snow boarding it there was the ability to slide it's all about angles of impact. If yiu land more on your side then shoulder you much less likely to break it but if you hit shoulder first it's directing the impact into on bone.

i have plenty of personal data or back that theory too as I have broken mine 3 times

13. tweasol

tweasol New Member

Thanks all. The ribs are the worst part I think. Probably bruised up my intercostal muscles as well... Everything hurts, I just wanna ride bikes :[

Basically I was on a demo bike which had its rebound cranked after riding a super firm trek 88 all day. First decently lipped jump of the run (which I had done probably 25 times up to that point) bucked me super hard =crash/boom!

Footy of the crash:

[video=youtube;npzCmnQIPrI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npzCmnQIPrI[/video]

14. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Dude that was so brutal! Same jump nearly took me out last year, had a decent OH SH!T moment. You were killing those double blacks up to that point!

15. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Definitely an impressive run to that point.

Hope you heal fast!

16. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Wait - still confused. When you say the rebound was "cranked" I am envisioning that it was all the way "on" or all the way clockwise. That would, of course, prevent the shock from returning to full extension. Given that you were bucked over the front upon take-off, isn't it more likely that the rebound damping was "off" meaning no rebound damping applied, or in other words, all the way counterclockwise? That would result in a very fast extension of the shock after the wheel left the lip of the jump.

Splitting hairs, I know. Either way - an improperly adjusted rear shock on a demo trailbike (Giant Reign?) led to a nasty injury on a routine part of trail. SUCKS!

Heal up fast - again.