Turnbull Canyon A-Line mountain lion/bobcat

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by eruizela, Jul 10, 2009.

1. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    It might have been me. I am out there around noon most of the time. Deer do hang out at the end of A-Line all the time. I always thought if their was deer, then their is something that eats it near by. Thinking about it now the location of that tree is perfect for an ambush location, because it overlooks the trail :-k.

2. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I saw these about 2 weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

3. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

If the lion chases after you and your buddies when you're riding, remember, you don't have to be the fastest rider-but you definately dont want to be the slowest!

4. jruiz

jruiz Member

Call me a tree-hugging hippie, but I disagree, animals living in their natural habitat that we're invading have every right to be there. If i get mauled by a lion, I take it as one of the risks of mountain biking in lion country.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Looks like I'm going to be riding Turnbull more often. A mountain lion is the only native animal I have yet to see in the wild.

Today riding Strawberry we came across mountain lion tracks. I have never seen them before in this area but have seen them before and had a ranger confirm it.

The land belongs no more to the lion then to you.There is no such thing as mountain lion territory as we are the top of the food chain and if we want to allocate some area to be called mountain lion territory then it can be but otherwise it just isn't so.

6. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    I saw one and it was not fun, Animal Planet is as close as I want to get

7. grandpa

grandpa swollen member

shop foreman, sheetmetal
    For the most part I think they would rather have nothing to do with us. So I don't worry about it.

8. COLEKO

Home Page:
    I know I said this before, but ive seen some strange things out there :eek:. I would rather take my chances with the kitty :lol:.

9. Soc Eye

Soc Eye New Member

You said it!

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_4231512

My favorite is the colony of midgets.

10. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I agree with you. I think animals in their natural habitat are beautiful and it kind of weirds me out to be hearing mtn. bikers talk about these animals like they're a definite menace and a nuisance.

Pain Freak, I agree with you too. I've never done turnbull but really need to start getting out there. I saw a lion at Chino hills years ago, and while it was eerie I felt really privileged to have seen it.

11. techryder

techryder Member

Agreed. Many trails are located in mountain lion country. A person should assume potential risk involved in the activity, be it from a crash, snake bite, or mauled.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/keepmewild/lion.html

12. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    It was probably thinking "Damn that human is scary--I hope it doesnt come any closer!".
    Ive seen Bobcats at Hurkey Creek, and I saw a Mountain Lion once as it crossed the trail in front of me on the Ramona Trail in Idyllwild. Seeing one of those babies makes you realize you are on THEIR turf!

13. lizardking

lizardking Lets just ride!

Printing
    Home Page:
    I passed a rider at Simpson the other day who said he saw a mountain lion 5 minutes before. Good thing I was done with my ride!

I also saw some pretty big paw prints at Hurkey a few weeks ago.
    Decided to cut my ride a little short that day!

14. Monarch

Monarch New Member

Milliner
    When I ride up in Wyoming and the Teton mountains, you want to carry Bear Spray. Just in case its like 100 times more powerful than mace and maybe this would be a good idea for Mountain Lions...

15. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

If the Mt Lion wants you, chances are you will neither see nor hear it... so I would surmise that not much will help in such a case.

16. nomadFF

nomadFF Member

LACoFD
    I work up there and used to talk to the rangers on a pretty regular basis. There is a mtn lion that lives in the corridor, I was out on a fire road in my truck once on the south side of turnbull and saw it. Its a big cat. There are a lot of dear that live near the dump up there, making that cat a fat one. They are pretty good about tracking it, they always knew what area it was in. If you are out there at night the mtn lion would be least of my worries though.

17. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    I was just getting my bike from the back yard and saw my beagle getting raped by a racoon, I still cant stop laughing, my dog is traumatized....

18. COLEKO

Home Page:
    :?:

19. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

It's my planet, too, and I do not apologize for being a human!

Please understand that population numbers for mountain lions are not shrinking, they're growing. This is in spite of the expansion of urban areas and the expansion of the human population.

If you get mauled by a mountain lion, you're either dead and eaten or disfigured and disabled. If you are comfortable with that, fine. I am not.

I do not think that others should force an agenda of mountain lions' rights to life as being superior to humans' rights to life.

Prop. 117, which outlawed mountain lion hunting in California, was passed in 1990. It designated the mountain lion as a 'specially protected species.' Hence, if you kill a mountain lion, even in self defense, you're gonna have some 'splainin' to do. Prop. 117 is part of the anti-human agenda that many in our country and in our state are pursuing.

I should add that I have no desire to go hunting--deer, lion, bear, or anything.

I urge you to take some time and check out this link:
    http://users.frii.com/mytymyk/lions/intro.htm#confirmed

It contains info about lion populations and mountain lion attacks on humans.

Having idealistic, romantic feelings about the importance of mountain lions sounds great and noble when you're sitting around with your friends at home, waxing poetic and philosophical. When you're in a lion's line of sight, it's a different story.

20. jruiz

jruiz Member

I don't understand what your advocating. Killing lions or any animal for that matter just so you can ride a bike? Okay, I feel like flying a plane, lets get rid of all the birds.