Tubeless vs Tube(merged/sticky)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by ECOdork, Apr 6, 2006.

1. dft

dft Member

i'm a total tubeless guy now, but running sub 20 psi and listening to your rim hit rocks sure sounds like a recipe for disaster in more ways than one. i run 30 psi, works great. just my opinion.

2. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    yeap! I just wanted to see how it tracks or where it fails. and also trying to find a reason to upgrade my wheelset :lol:

3. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I weigh 230 and run 26psi F/R tubeless on a 35lb bike with no issues. I think another benefit to running low pressures is the ability to absorb the impact of sharp rocks rather than it cutting through.

4. jbh65

jbh65 Member

"i'm a total tubeless guy now, but running sub 20 psi and listening to your rim hit rocks sure sounds like a recipe for disaster in more ways than one. i run 30 psi, works great. just my opinion."

I run 32 psi in the front and 38 psi in the back on my tubeless setup. If you are going tubeless IMO then buy a wheelset that is meant for tubeless. I know several people who have converted and eventually went back to tubes because of burping, and getting the tire to seat.

I have been tubless since March of 08 and have had a total of 3 flats.

5. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

after experiencing about 7 pinch flats at big bear/snow summit in one day, i have decided to go with TRUE UST tubless system. pato convinced me in person about tubeless, but the pinch flats made my decision.

6. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I don't know, grasshoppers...to each his own.

I run with tubes on all my bikes ... usually run low 30's both ends...the last flat I got was in 2007. Just seems like a bit of trouble with non-UST wheels... but what the heck, I'm old and feeble .... what do I know...

If God had wanted man to go tubeless he would have given him tread on the bottom of his feet! ;)

7. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Going with tubeless is pointless if anyone in your riding group still runs tubes.....because when they get flats you always end up having to wait for their arse while they swap out a tube :lol:

8. ISuckAtRiding

ISuckAtRiding Homebrewed Components

machine shop owner
    i dunno, i've been running tubless since 2006 and it's been great. i use non tubless rims and tires, and a homemade conversion. i get flats, but i deffinately get much less than if i were running tubes. plus it's an assload lighter the way i did it. I run about 50lbs psi, so my results might differ from others.
    My tubless wasnt difficult to set the bead, never made a mess with stans, and actually seeps less air than tubes.
    My opinion is that anyone who is anti tubless hasnt tried a good setup, or hasnt tried it at all. except for those who ride strictly downhill or dirt jump, as i only have experience with XC trails like noble, san juan, joplin, holy jim, ect.. and tubless is terrific for stuff like that.

9. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    good point.... even worst if they don't have a tube and borrow yours :D

10. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Pato is 100% correct and he states it more eloquently than I could.

However, I would like to add that tubeless does not mean maintenance-free. You still need to keep an eye on pressures and you need to add Stan's periodically. Also, Stan's won't save you from sidewall gashes if you want to go slamming into sharp rocks.

On the plus side, you'll never again have to worry about blasting through sticker plants, sticks and debris, or coming too close to yuccas.

A couple times I've stopped to regroup and heard the dreaded "hisssssssss." You know, when everyone hears it, turns to see where it's coming from, and then gives you the look of "you poor bastard, you're going to have to fix a flat." But I lift the wheel, give it a spin, and in two revolutions the hissing stops. The looks on peoples faces change to "whoaaaaa... magic!"

It really is almost magic. You'll never again have to worry about regular punctures, and if you gash your tire, you would have had a flat with a tubed tire anyway.

11. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I'll switch out to Tubeless when my tires get flats. Still not getting flats with my 2.35 Specialized Eskars. I run my tires at about 33 PSI and I haven't had a problem with them.

I am still not convinced of Tubeless...

12. hobie

hobie Member

i am running tubless on dt swiss 29er rims, (non-ust). i used the stans conversion.

i tried using the specialized captian tires (non-2bliss) and they didnt want to seat on the rim.

so i switched to maxxis crossmark and ignitor (non-ust) and that combo works great. i run around 25 psi

13. ISuckAtRiding

machine shop owner
    you also run huge tires. i run pizza cutters with tiny tread on a hardtail, so a flat was litterally a once a ride occurance before i went tubless. even running 50-60psi i'd get snakebites.

btw, for anyone who has had issues trying tubless on non tubless tires, make sure you scrub the hell out of the inside of the tires because the mold release that is still on there prevents Stans from sticking to it and sealing. i wash/degrease my tires well before i put them on and they hold air better than tubes, even when sitting for long periods of time.

14. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

I felt the same way. Got 2-3 flats a year tops. The biggest gain for me is the rolling resistance or lack thereof.

15. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    At the same time ive had to wait for tubless guys to put in a tube or add air to their burped tires :lol:. Im saying this in good fun;).

16. grandpa

grandpa swollen member

shop foreman, sheetmetal
    It might not be common but you can still get pinch flats running tubeless. I saw it happen to someone at Snow Summit going through a rock garden....snake bite on the tire just like on a tube.
    I put Slime in my tubes and have had three flats in the last three years. Two of those were punctures from rocks that tubeless would not have sealed either. Plenty of times I've found goat heads, thorns, one time even a nail after a ride and no leaks. So unless I start getting a lot more flats I don't see the point for me to go tubeless.

17. ISuckAtRiding

machine shop owner
    i have also gotten 3 sets of snakebites on the same ride at palm canyon running stans tubless tires (the crow). i switched to kenda small block 8's because the crows just sucked, and i havent had the problem again. i could see it happening with a heavier rider running low air pressure though.

my main reason for running tubless is not only for puncture resistance, it's for weight savings and the lack of rolling resistance. I'm at about 5.5lbs total for both wheels mounted with 2.1" tires. might not mean much for alot of you guys since it seems like alot of you are more into going down, but it makes a huge difference if you're into climbing or xc racing.

18. COLEKO

COLEKO The Flying Hawaiian

Home Page:
    How much weight savings is their when you run stans inside and with UST tires:-k:?:? Has anyone weighed out the difference?

19. ISuckAtRiding

machine shop owner
    i dunno, i dont run ust tires or rims so it never concerned me. my conversion consists of a few grams of tape, a valve stem cut out of an old tube, and a cap full of stans. i dont run rim strips so i'd say it's a few grams heavier per wheel than the weight of just the rims and tires. been running the same setup for 3 years, and just changed the tape recently because i had to replace a spoke.

saved me the weight of 2 tubes, which are minimum 1/4lb each

20. noweyout

noweyout Can't kick dirt habit!!

I was actually going back to tubes because of the weight. I've ran tubeless for 1/2 a year and I've done great but now I'm more concentrated on weight. My UST tires are 800g (Nevegral ust) each. Reg tires are around 600g (Nevegral non-ust) each. Planning to run super light tubes which are 100g each. Dedicated UST rims are a bit heavier than normal but about 50g more (Comparing Mavic 717 to 819). The difference in weight is not too much of a difference. Maybe within 100g. Stan's don't really add much weight, if any. I bet you won't notice em.