Race Report Traverse Ride Report

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Pho'dUp, May 17, 2008.

1. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    How about an ice-filled kiddie wading pool at West Horsethief? That would probably put you over the edge huh?

2. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

OMR - you don't know how glad I was to see you guys right there when I got up from that crash and collected my wits. Adrenaline is a funny thing - I didn't want to stop at all, but thankfully I did. When I finally changed out of my ride gear, I saw that my hip was bruised dark blue about the size of a grapefruit, and my left glove was soaked and encrusted with blood.

Once again, thanks for being out there! I owe you all a few beers!

Clark

haha you got it! Classic. MoHeedos it is!

3. kev

kev vincit qui patitur

Home Page:
    Anybody know when the results will be posted?

4. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Cramping Issues

You've probably read and heard alot of poeple's solutions/suggestions for avoiding cramps by now. My faves are Endurolytes and ALOT of Heed and pickle juice.

Sometimes people who don't usually have cramping problems cramp in a race situation just because of the extra stress on the nerves and body. You may be trying just 1-3% harder than normal but it's enough to bring on cramps.

Also, undoubtedly the hot weather exacerbated many people's cramping issues on Saturday. On days like that you really need to up (double or triple) your electrolyte replacement.

Also, like Pho'd Up and others have mentioned you need to be hydrating and filling up on electrolytes for 48 hours before the event.

5. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    working on it as we speak....will try and get the preliminary results out by tomorrow.

6. Winger

Winger Member

Maybe that's where I blew it. I was drinking TONS of water for 2 days straight....I'd be getting up 3x a night to go to the bathroom, so maybe I depleted my body's store of [insert term].

At this point I wish Main Divide was open so I could stash water @ 4 corners and retry the course to test anti-cramping remedies.

7. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    FYI My Sunto had 8788 calories burned, although it toom 8 hrs. the Garmin does not calculate correctly and they wil admit it, it has some speed distance issues. This ride was averaging about 1000cal/hr

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Sounds like that would be high also! TDF racers burn about that, no? :)

I typically burn between 600-800cal/hr according to my Garmin.

e.g. I burned about 750 or so at my XC race yesterday. Seems about right to me.

9. jbh65

jbh65 Member

as long as it's not 100+ I'm in. Eventhough today my right thight is basically stiff as a board. 9 hours is a long time in the saddle.

10. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    I had 9:15, avg 154, 8599cal, 187max, does that sound right. My Garmin is always low, those stats from Suunto.

11. jbh65

jbh65 Member

my Garmin had be burning a little over 5400 calories

12. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    recollections 2 days later...

First and foremost, got to give a big THANK YOU to the Warrior's Society for their organization of this event. Aid stations in more places than we were expecting, tons of water, cytomax, friut, ICE, and really keeping an eye on the competitors so we at least realized when the heat really had gotten the better of us. Great job y'all!

Right from the start everybody was buzzing about how bad the heat was going to get to all of us, and by Beek's we pretty much knew that this had changed (for the mortals, at least) from a race to a test of attrition and survival. Cranking up the ipod and down into my granny ring seemed to work for the first set of climbs, but even that couldn't get me up the last big climb before 4 corners and I ended up walking that nasty hill. Rode the rest of the way into 4 corners, arriving right around 11:00. Hard to believe that was the original cut-off! Rested and fueled up, cooled down in the shade, and filled back up with water - i'd gone through my entire 3 liter camleback and a 22oz bottle of cytomax by this point.
    The climb from 4 corners to santiago peak is what killed me. By the time i made the turn down to the saddle i was hurting and getting my first twinges of cramps, and the heat was just sucking all the energy out of me. On that climb i was putting down as much water as i could without feeling sick and could tell i still wasn't sweating enough. I made LHJ just after 1, where one of the guys on the motorcycles noticed i wasn't sweating too, and told me i needed to rest and seriously rehydrate. I noticed them checking everyone rolling into LHJ for the signs of dehydration - thanks to them for making me stop. I really considered going on, but talking with OMR got me to trust my intuition and realize that this was my limit for today. Thanks to OMR for riding down LHJ with me, which went fine except for his aforementioned rock-induced off trail excursion, and my cramping up once we were heading out the dirt road.
    Great job everyone that came out saturday, whether you finished or not. I'm not sure about next year yet, but we'll see how i feel in the fall...

13. Sebastian

Sebastian New Member

Project Manager for Lanscape Design Firm
    Do you know if you have to have the hart rate monitor on to read a proper calorie count? Does the Cadence & HR work together to get an accurate reading?

I finished in about 8:30 and my Garmin read about 4500 calories.

14. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    First, the Warrior Society support was unbelievable. Thank you. How many times did you turn around a bend and see the aid station (un-planned) in the distance like a mirage, actually more like a miracle. How about the guys and gals on the enduros buzzing by checking in on us, urging us on, or shuttling riders back to safety. I don’t know about you folks, that was a survival mission, one of those cliché “find yourself” moments. It felt kind of like a team event, except every participant on the ridge was on the same team. Hats off to all those who crossed the starting line, on bike, on foot, on truck, or on motorcycle.

15. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    That...would...have...been...heaven!

I'd have been rolling in it--shamelessly & without an ounce of dignity--like a pig in mud.

16. kev

kev vincit qui patitur

Home Page:
    wow, this sums up my feelings perfectly.

17. Winger

Winger Member

Oh No...

Not sure if I have permission to post this, so PM me if you want it removed.

This picture freezes in time that moment prior to disaster that we've all experienced. I feel so bad for this guy, and met him on the shuttle ride back to the cars. He's only been mtn biking for 4 months.

[​IMG]

18. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Do these devices take body composition into account? If they don't, then the figure is just a ballpark anyway and a discrepancy of ~200 out of ~1,000 is not too bad.

210 lbs @ 7% BF and 210 lbs @15% BF would burn very different amounts of calories!

I know when I was weight training, I was eating 4800 cals/day to compensate for 2 hour workouts, and I was still losing body fat!

19. jbh65

jbh65 Member

was this between 3:30 and 4pm? If so I rode with this guy the last 15 miles

20. aztec1993

aztec1993 New Member

My Garmin had me at 4528 calories, averaged 170bpm with a max hr of 190 over a 5hr41min ride. The way it calcs calories is a mystery. It showed 5027 calories burned during the last Project Rwanda ride which took me 4hr10min to complete with a 160bpm avg and a max of 190. I'm just guessing, but I think Saturday's Traverse was a little tougher than the Rwanda ride...