Trail Work Aliso Woods/Car Wreck 8/7/2010

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by OMR, Aug 7, 2010.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    A great group of guys & girls (yes they do trail work also!) turned out for trail work on Car Wreck. Anticipation was high for the opening of this classic technical downhill trail (although you could ride up it... if you were crazy'!)

Over 40 riders showed up to make mince meat of of the required work. After a short briefing on trail work safety by SHARE.... off we went to as far as the vehicles or bikes could take us. Ranger Ed outlined what was required and after breaking into trail crews, we attacked Car Wreck.

For those of you that don't know, Car Wreck as been in the RMP (Resource Management Plan) for the park for many years... and we have all been holding our breaths waiting for the wheels of the county to slowly grind through the approval cycle...it has finally come!

Once the work was finished, we adjourned to the shaded park tables for a lunch of pizza and salad & bevs. Good times with good people who care about our park.

As you see by the pictures below, a little bit opf earth work was done and a new fence added in the re-route of a rutted steep section. Don't make the mistake that this trail has been sanitized... it hasn't. It will offer plenty of challenged for even the best of riders.

The official opening is set for a ribbon cutting ceremony next Sunday (8/15) at 9 am at the top of the trail where it takes off from Mathis. It would be great to have a good contingent of mtbrs in attendance....but, please don't poach the trail until then. This is quickly going to become on of the best downhill trails in the park... and it's legal!!!!

June 26.2010 download 001.jpg June 26.2010 download 002.jpg June 26.2010 download 007.jpg June 26.2010 download 008.jpg June 26.2010 download 004.jpg June 26.2010 download 006.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Stay tuned for more pics...

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    As OMR stated, today was a great success. STR was well represented today. Can't say thank you enough for coming out and showing how the MTB community can really make a difference.

Once we arrived at the trail head to Mathis, we hiked in from the south end of Coyote
    IMG_7683.jpg

We split up into 5 or 6 work crews and got assigned a section of trail to work

IMG_7685.jpg

This section we're hiking up is no longer opened. 1 of the crews re-routed it and blocked off this area with a new fence and brush.
    IMG_7687.jpg

Here is the newly installed fence
    . Queen Willie, bvader, CPATCRASH and dirtvert
    IMG_7694.jpg

My crew was assigned to block off a spur trail that goes off to the left here where the sign is. With the crew of 10 I had with me, we made real quick work of it and had it blocked off in no time.
    We also dug up the soil so it will be easy for brush to retake that section.
    IMG_7689.jpg

Here's the SR Ranger Ed Bridges working on a drainage at the top just before the 1st drop.

IMG_7690.jpg

We put some drainage and berms in, but the berms will need some more work when the soil gets some moisture.

IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

Even with the one section closed off, there's still plenty of challenging sections on Car Wreck
    IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7697.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg

IMG_7699.jpg

This is new section that Senior Grounds Keeper Doug C has been working on. Another crew today finished the work and it's all shored up and turned out nice.

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7700.jpg

Willie, OMR and CPATCRASH waiting for the food to arrive.

IMG_7702.jpg
    IMG_7701.jpg

Garrett and company enjoying the pizza provided by SHARE

IMG_7704.jpg

IMG_7703.jpg

This trail is not opened yet and will not be opened till NEXT SUNDAY, Aug 15th.
    There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony at the top of Mathis at from 9am-10am. County officials and OC registers David Whiting will be on hand for the ceremony. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend.
    I will be there to represent SHARE/STR. Thanks to SHARE for setting this up and providing the tools, also lunch and beverages afterward. Once again thanks to all volunteers who came out for this. :clap::clap::clap:

Hope to see you next week.

4. bordhead

bordhead Member

are they taking out that car/van or what ever that is? looks like its been there along time..

5. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

I'm pretty sure its staying. And I'm pretty sure its named Car Wreck specifically for that car. :p

6. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    I hope not... the trail's named after it.
    *Andy beat me.

7. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    Livin' the Dream!

what a groovy morning. ranger ed, his crew, and SHARE have been working on this for a long time. it was really cool to see how much could get done by throwing 46 bodies at a trail for a few hours! i hope we can get another work day set up this fall when the rain will help it all come together.

this was my first time on the trail (no, really!) and i can't wait to drop it soon. it's plenty challenging with all the rock sections--and some of the dirt drops are loose--so you'll have to be on your toes the whole time. the only downside is that i'll have to start climbing mathis again to get to it--small price to pay...

:beer:

btw- this has inspired me to finally get involved with SHARE. i found out their next meeting will be the first tuesday of sept.- first a ride from ridge park, then a meeting at sharkie's.

8. genusmtbkr5

Glad to hear Doug. SHARE usually meets the 1st Tues of every month. Unfortunately, I work Tuesday nights and can never make it there.

9. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Thanks for the pics and report Gene, it was a great day to work! Definitely got lucky with the weather.

Really looking forward to taking this trail for a spin next weekend. When I saw they re-routed that one section I was a bit worried it would be too watered-down but their re-route is still steep and fun. It will be interesting to see what the trail looks like in a year or so.

10. santacruznomad

santacruznomad New Member

where does it dump you? And is there multi paths going down or just one?

11. genusmtbkr5

In Oak Grove which is the trail at the bottom of Mathis. There is only 1 path.

12. santacruznomad

sweet. hope people aren't climbing it. hate to come around a corner on that tight track and see someone climbing. Happens to much on top of rockit. It'd be neat to have a mild jump somewhere. I'll be satisfied with a new trail!!!

13. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I don't think you are going to have to worry too much about hikers going up this trail... it's pretty steep and rugged. Most will stay on Mathis if they want to climb up.

14. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    A few more shots of today's trail work...

Attached Files:

15. TahoeDays

TahoeDays Member

Many thanks to all of you who worked on the trail.

16. motoxscott

motoxscott New Member

Camburg Engineering
    Awesome work, thanks !! Cant wait to ride it ... legally :)

17. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    I had a lot of fun on the Trail Work yesterday. That trail is pretty stout. Here are a few more pics.

Before the works begin, the usual suspects plus some new ones...
    IMG_1005.JPG

Gene standing atop the Drop at the top...
    IMG_1008.JPG

We moved the trail over below that drop because I....uhhhh I mean you guys would have gone wide and into a hole.
    IMG_1011.JPG

OMG!!! There was even a trash for Cash scramble...That's me and xhuskr fight for that trash...I was going to Pick Axe him but too many witnesses
    IMG_1010.JPG

This is going to be a fun section it is steeper than it looks
    IMG_1012.JPG

And the Da Boys put a fence at the bottom of it to keep me...uhh again I mean you guys from going straight off
    IMG_1013.JPG

18. boboso

boboso Getting back on the bike.

Project Manager
    Great work guys... the dream is becoming reality...!

19. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    Unless you're using it for a training hike! Don't worry, I KNOW what mtn bikes sound like when they're coming downhill at you, unlike those hikers who don't ride. If I'm hiking up this trail, I'm not dumb enough to insist on my right-of-way...

20. santacruznomad

lol hikers! about 70 percent on the time they panic and step into ur path. normally if a hiker stays put it's no prob goin around them. The trees must deaden the sound. When I'm riding down I'm with the bike so I feel like I'm loud but I always startle hikers.