Trail riding with the kids.

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by eatsrice91, Jan 8, 2013.

1. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    *** If you are planning to take your kids out for a ride and are interested in setting up a group ride with other families, post When and Where in this thread & Hopefully have some group family fun rides more often. ***

Got to hand it to the Ride like a kid event for getting my son absolutely HOOKED! We ride Oaks and Nix together at least once a week and he loves it! I'm looking for other good local trails that would be fun for the kids; Where do you take your little ones? My boy is 6 & I want him progress into it. Would anyone be interested in setting up small group rides with the little ones, say once every other week or something? We can all use peer pressure and motivation on the trails and quite frankly, we don't know anyone with kids his age that ride! I thought id ask around.

Take it easy!

2. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    My boys ride, but don't seem too enthused whenever I take them out. I'm probably doing it wrong.

We've never made it to the RLAK, but I want to. My boys are 6 and 9 - just the right ages to begin building skills and love of riding.

I'm interested in this idea. Set something up and we'll try to show.

3. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    When would be a good time? I can go anytime fridays or saturdays. I was thinking about doing something like this after the awesome smiles at the RLAK events. My son was really motivated with other kids around! I was thinking about the lower trails at Oaks or whiting lower section by wahoos. Whatcha think?

4. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

Tijeras Creek is a great place. Be prepared to get wet and dirty

5. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Sounds like a great place! Never been so it'd be extra fun.

6. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    You should have come to our New Years Day Family ride. I ride with my kids all the time. In the summer we have a group that rides every Wednesday afternoon, these will start again as soon as the days are long enough. I might take them to El Moro on Sunday morning for a quick loop (I have to be at work at 10:00 am). We love finding other dads and kids to ride with so hit us up.
    P1050753.JPG P1050748.JPG

7. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Lower Oaks trails and Irvine Park are cool. I was also thinking about Chino Hills State Park from the Carbon Canyon Regional Park entrance (Telegraph is pretty mellow). Don't know Whiting or Tijeras Creek very well. Saturdays and Sundays are good for us.

8. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    I wanted to go that day but had other obligations. I work Sunday-Thursday so my only options are 3pm on s-fri and anytime saturday. We are totally down, Infact, I happen to be off this sunday! Lets set it up!

9. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Can anyone meet at oaks by the big playground lets say around 230/3 ish saturday? or 9/10ish sunday same location?

10. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    How does that area handle rain? Might be some on Sunday. (Saturday might not work for me.) If conditions are good, I can be there with my boys Sunday morning.

Except I'm not sure what you mean by the "big playground".

11. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Guess we can play it by ear on the weather and trail conditions. As for the big playground I mentioned, its across from the boy scout area. I'll get the exact name of the parking lot inside Irvine park before then.

12. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    We will be riding El Moro Sunday morning @ 7:00am. Starting at ridge park entrance.

13. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    I take my 5 year old to Aliso - the first section of dripping cave, coyote run - walks the harder stuff, and the little trail off to the left once you get on the dirt from the pavement. chino hills - up Telegraph to 4 corners ( he was especially proud of making it there) and Peters canyon

14. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    I had completely forgotten about dripping cave! He'd probably love to explore out there as a "break". Thanks for the tip!!! Kudo's to your Son for climbing telegraph, If I remember correctly, its a PITA. :)

15. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Which trails do you guys do out there? I'm building my sons endurance at the moment and not too sure he'd be able to climb out just yet BUT he always surprises me...

16. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I ride Irvine Park a lot with my 8 y/o daughter (she started trails at age 6 1/2). We do Roadrunner ST and Roadrunner fire road as well as the singletracks that shoot off to the sides of them--it's all flat and rolling. There's also Santiago Creek Trail and Willow/Egret trails that are flat and rolling fire roads on the west side of the park. They run parallel to the cemetery and are easy/good for young beginner kids. Out and back on RR is about 2 miles, out and back on Santiago to the dam is probably 2-2.25 miles. Horseshoe Loop's south portion is a mellow climb/flat/mellow descent about a mile long.

17. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    That sounds like Irvine Regional Park, not Santiago Oaks. <never mind, I see your post here is corrected, earlier one said Oaks.

18. longboarderj

longboarderj Member

Land Surveying
    Home Page:
    We will probably ride Bommer to Fenceline/Missing Link and back, then maybe part way out Rattlesnake (not down the rock garden) and back then out to the truck. We have done this route with kids on their first ride and they didn't have any problems. We also try to tailor the route to suit the least experienced rider.

19. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Key is Pat - don't make them climb until they're hooked on the DH fun. I know a back section of Whiting and some fun stuff across the street to keep them interested. Will drag my monkey out sometime too.

Another fun one is the Sunday morning Fully Loop, especially if the big crew is there. Blake loves Shuga's and Big Red, Dino, Freddy, TWC and the crew. My guys will follow ANYONE of those guys ANYWHERE - with a smile on his face, totally whines with me...

20. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Longboarderj: I think I'll meet you up there Sunday morning. Sounds like fun and it would be a new trail for my son! I've gotten him 1/2 up Chutes to the turnaround point and he LOVES going back down so Missing link may be a good experience. I'm planning to meet you there @ 7am! I'll be the guy with the bike OH and a kid! :lol: Blue trek mt60 / orange santa cruz.