Trail Conditions Pt. Mugu Sycamore Canyon(updated 6-14-13)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Thrawn, Mar 31, 2013.

1. geek

geek Member

2. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Looks like the fire has been to the beach and is now coming back North to Newbury Park only slightly to the East now.
    It's approaching the West end of Hidden Valley right now. The location it's approaching is very bad... lot's of old thick growth in there and no open fields to prevent it from jumping Protrero Road.
    This means that the Los Robles Trail / Space Mountain is now in play.

3. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

That is incorrect, that Sycamore camp grounds did not burn. That's where the FDs were concentrated/staged. It looked untouched when a batt chief was interviewed a couple hours ago on CH 4.

Man, from bad to worse case scenario - they did say shift in wind direction may be bad thing.

Keep us posted if you can.

4. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

So far so good this afternoon. It's seems to be holding above the Wendy Trailhead and Portrero. They're fighting the flare-ups aggressively with helicopters. Not much wind, so it's not really running. They should be able to keep it from crossing over to Los Robles area.

5. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

Boney mountain will rise like the Phoenix. You can't burn a mountain except maybe it's hair. Pics from my back yard.

Attached Files:

6. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    how is the back bone trail?

7. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    It's still there. Bush burned away, no poison oak, no ticks. lol

8. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Just spoke with a friend who was in the campground earlier today. The campground is OK. Some of the trees around the outside perimeter were singed, but everything looks good.

9. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    It's over, Boney was the last gasp. Watch out on the trails, the chaparral turns down when it burns. White would not be a good color.

10. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

Just spoke to a US fire officer and the park will be closed for a week maybe 10 days. Pretty much everything is burnt to the ground except he was unsure of the Danielson house. He said there were flames over 300 feet high. I asked him if he was kidding and the look he gave assured me that he wasn't.

11. da big hills

daily night grind
    I am going up to Angels Rest to survey the carnage from above.

12. Formu1fan

Formu1fan Slow Down, Slower Up

Environmental Scientist
    Looks like it burned over 28000 acres. This is shaping up to be a bad fire season, and it started early.

13. Dirtboy29

Dirtboy29 New Member

Guess this looks like the bottom of a Webber Charcoal Grill about now. I'm bummed and it's just the beginning of the summer. To think it may have been started by someone inadvertently tossing a cigarette out their car window how disrespectful. Certainly it's a horror to see the pictures as the fire approached homes but what about nature. I guess plants don't feel any pain but I sure do. We loved riding Sycamore and I think it was Hell Hill Canyon we'd seen on our last ride that won't look anything near as beautiful in the next 20 years or so.

[​IMG]

14. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    Awww, Dirtboy, it's not that bad. It always looks terrible at first and then, one year later, you can't even tell it ever happened. The only trees that never recovered from Saddleback's big fire were the pine trees. Apart from that it either all grew back or my memory has just gotten that much worse.

15. geek

geek Member

Thats good news! Goes to show you can't always believe whats reported in the news.

16. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Really bummed, as I'd hoped to ride some of these trails for the first time soon. The only part of the Santa Monicas I've only ridden ib Backbone between Encinal and Sandstone. I look forward to exploring in a year or two as the recovery is happening.

Best wishes to the residents and firefighters affected. Hope the cooling and dampening weather helps knock this thing down quickly.

17. Jmomma

Jmomma New Member

I pretty much grew up in Newbury Park and there hasnt been a fire like this since 94 but that one started from the Los Robles trail ridge and burned right thru the main part of Sycamore Canyon. The top of Backbone was like the moon but it didnt go up to Guadalasca just went prettymuch down the canyon to the beach. This fire looks to have burned the area closer toward the Navy radar tower just past the top of Hell Hill and started making its way towards Malibu. I cant ever remember Santa Ana conditions like this in May, usually Sept October its like this. Bad thing is all the wildlife had their offspring so big kill off for Coyotes , Deer , Bobcats , Mountain Lions ect. Hope they get it contained soon. Last time the trails opened pretty quick but it will be a few weeks at least.

18. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Today has been crazy. The fire is all but out, but they've been lighting backfires near the Wendy Drive trailhead to make sure that the nearby hotspots can't gain any traction. They are policing the crap out of those backfires with helicopters.
    Thankfully, Space Mountain / Los Robles was saved. We're lucky to have several great trail systems right here in the neighborhood... it would have been sad to lose them all in the course of two days.

19. Jmoe29er

Jmoe29er Member

VP Music Accessories Distribution
    Home Page:
    Super downer best trail system in VC. Sad to see it burning long wait till the green comes back. :(.

20. da big hills

daily night grind
    Fog is creeping over the entire place right now. The sea breeze is up and the little whiffs of smoke are heading east. All is now back to normal.