Tour de Palm Springs

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Jan 5, 2007.

1. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Actually, coming north on the 57 to the 210, there is not an exit for Lone Hill. You would have to get off the 57, just before reaching the 210, at Auto Center Dr. Turn left, go to Lone Hill and turn right, then proceed with the directions.

2. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    I enjoy a nice flat ride, but I would vote for some hills. I think it's better training to climb. After all, if you do hills then you can definitely handle flats.

3. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Hey guys I am out for this weekend. I took a small spill on Monday 20 miles into a 60 mile ride. I came around a sharp turn just north of the Santa Monica Pier and hit a patch of sand. My right knee took the brunt of the fall and is still swollen. No real permanent damage to the bike of me. It seems the bike slid on the rear derailleur and bifters.

Hope you guys have a fun weekend.

4. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Heal soon, dude. Sorry to hear about that.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Sorry to hear about your mishap,Brian.

Are you still in for PS?

6. SScheetz

SScheetz Cracking frames since '88

CAD systems support
    Hey Mike, you posted a while back, I've been working too much to keep up on the forum. Anyway, I think I'm riding my SS. I'll gear her way up, put on some slicks and see what happens. So I might not even keep keep up with your crew. :?:

7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    LMAO, yeah right!

8. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I'm not sure about TdPS. My wife wanted to take a motorcycle safety training class for her 30th birthday. Our first class is the 11th, then 18th and 25th. Also I don't think I'm ready for 100 miles yet. That 60 mile ride was pretty tough, granted there was 10-15MPH winds the last 30 and I crashed 20 miles in. Regardless I could not have done another 40 miles that day.

The Solvang Century seems much more do able at this point. My wife will be going on a trip to Isla Mujreres, Mexico in March with USC. She leaves on the 9th and is gone all week. I can easily get away to do the Solvang Century and will hopefully be more prepared by then.

On another note I have been tossing around the idea of doing Moab the week my wife is gone as well. I have so much vacation time (4.5 weeks) and need to burn 3 days by the end of March or I loose them. I have always wanted to ride Moab and I think early March would be a good time of year.

9. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Okay so I'm in for this event!!! My first century ever.

My wife is going to come out with me and go to a spa for the day and hang out in Palm Springs while we ride, i.e. this ride is going to cost me a fortune.

I found a room at the Hilton Garden Inn on Yahoo Travel for $152 for Friday night. The hotel is 7 miles away from the start of the ride, it will give me a nice little warm up. :)

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Looks like great weather. 70 to 74 with no rain depending on which website you go to. I'm going to try to find a room now. I was planning on driving out in the morning, but my wife wants to go and she likes her sleep, so I'll try to get a room.

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I'm obviously not in for this. I have been out of much of my riding and training and everything because we have been having some bad news, but its all over now, well on friday it is so I can start riding more often again and maybe do that century in march you talked about

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Sorry to hear about your Grandma. Hope you're doing better.

13. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Exactly, what Pain Freak said. Sorry to hear about that. It's never good to go through loss. Hang in there, dude.

14. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    30% chance of rain in Palm Springs on Saturday according to Yahoo...I'm out. Just kidding.

Not sure what to do about rain protection. I've got a nice Patagonia rain jacket but not sure I want to bring that whole thing for the chance of scattered showers. If it's in the mid to upper 70s a little rain may feel good.

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Saturday: Mostly cloudy skies early. A few showers developing later in the day. High 76F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
    Saturday (24 hours): Showers possible in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 50s.

I'll just bring a shell. And some arm warmers.

16. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Palm Springs Tomorrow

I'll be out there. The ride passes right by the RV place in Desert Hot Springs where I'm staying so I'm starting there and riding the first part last.
    I'll be on my green Surly Cross Check single speed. Give me a wave as you zip past me on the flats.

17. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Word Chopper. I will be on a new Lemond Zürich (black and silver) and wearing a Hammer Nutrition jersey with silver Giro E2 helmet.

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    The Century went great, but friggin Brian tried to rip my legs off. The guy starts riding and turns into one of the fastest guys out there. All the damn way! At one time he had over a 100 people he was pulling.And we were moving!One guy went up to give Brian a break and Brian I guess thought the guy was trying to race so he took off out front again and dropped the guy. That was some funny stuff. We finished in 6.5 hours with breaks in that time. Brian & Jessy (some guy we hooked up with) probably could have gone out a lot faster, but were waiting for me. Jessy finished 13 minutes ahead of us. We were some of the first guys to come in after the real fast guys. I sat there on the side of the road and watched all the others come in and they just kept coming and coming. It was amazing to see how many people were still coming in.I think our average time was a hair over 16 mph, which isn't to bad considering we didn't train for this. I can't believe how freekin fast Brian is, and he will take you out if you get to close. There's a lady back there that can vouch for this.[​IMG]

Chopper, how did you make out after you left the expo? I spent 2 hours there waiting for my wife. I'm not the only one in this family that's directionally challenged.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  19. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Way to go Brian.

You riding tomorrow Mike?

20. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Hell bud, I won't know till tomorrow when I try to drag this sorry ol arse outta bed. Are you meeting on the street where we usually meet?