Tour de France

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pain Freak, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    13 days and counting. I think this will be one of the most exciting years ever. I love having Lance back but I don't think he's got a chance with such great riders as the Schlecks, Fabian Cancellera, Alberto Contador amoung so many more up and coming riders.

My pick is for Andy Schleck to take it all this year.

2. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I don't know, Mike... I think Greg Lemond looks pretty good this year...???

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Andy's form has seemed "off" almost all season. Conti will for sure be top-3 unless something unforeseen happens. Lance? Who knows. I'm hoping some of the fast young guys are duking it out for the white jersey (Sagan, Porte - too bad Teejay isn't doing this one).

Also, as much as he's disliked right now...hoping that Cav comes around and wins some stages :) Maybe one for Tyler too!

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I don't care what the rest of the riders think of Cavendish, I like him and I hope he does it to them again this year.

Agreed with your comments about Andy being somewhat "off" but the Tour is a long race and I think he'll find what it takes and win it.

5. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I would love it if the TdF came down to Andy Schleck vs Lance..... They are both my favorites.

But don;t forget some of the "outsiders". There is Cadel Evans who is doing better than most previous World Champions. There is Ivan Basso who is totally at the top of his game (and I don't take this bull that he is tired from The Giro). He has an incredible team behind him.

As for Contador, I do acknowledge he is one of the best around, but for some reason I don;t like him. Would love it if Vino spanked his little a$$ around a bit (similar to the tension Lance gave him last year).

6. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

I am rooting for Lance but would love it if Cadel gave him a run for the money, even better if they are both ahead of Contador.

Lance had a great comeback in the stage 9 TT of the Tour de Suisse to take 2nd overall, Andy's brother Frank coming in 1st, Andy at 14th....with just a few weeks to go for Tour de France stage 1.

I think it will be truly a team effort to get Lance on the podium in July, should be really fun to watch how it unfolds.

7. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Just got my copy of the Velonews TDF Special Issue today! Gonna be dueling TV's in my garage with World Cup and TDF gong on at the same time for the first week or so.

Anybody doing that MapMyRide virtual tour thingy this year?

8. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    I gotta go with Schlek too. Also, contador strikes me as a prancy little bitchboy, and while I'm not a huge Armstrong guy, I'd love to see Lance come down hard on him, after all last years preening and primping his plumage.

9. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    There would be nothing in cycling that would make me more happy then to see a mountain biker win the TdF. Cadel has always said he is a mountain biker first a racer second. Once in an interview he was asked what he does for fun and he said I ride mountain bikes.

Contador's unwillingness to be a team player is well documented in the racing world and most folks don't care for AC or his attitude. I don't think he'll get the team support this year but I think Fabian will and if Fabian can tear his legs off again then you can look for AC to fade after a couple mountain stages and that's where the attacks will begin. Saxo and Radio Shack are the two strongest teams overall and I think this will make the difference.

10. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

We have seen it, twice (Landis, Rasmussen). Then they promptly got busted.

11. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Chris Horner is IN on TRS! He is one of my favorites!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/horner-brajkovic-get-tour-nods-for-shack_122677

TRS has a pretty strong team

• Lance Armstrong (USA)
    • Levi Leipheimer (USA)
    • Chris Horner (USA)
    • Andreas Kloden (Ger)
    • Janez Brajkovic (Slo)
    • Sergio Paulihno (Por)
    • Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr)
    • Gregory Rast (Swi)
    • Dmitry Muravyev (Kaz)
    My other favorites...as if any cares...the Schleck bros, Jens Voight, Cancellera...

I like Cavendish too...but the wife drools over Thor "God of Thunder" that should be a good battle

I am excited!

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    8 days and counting.
    I love Chris Horner too but I think this maybe his last time riding in the Tour. Man, it'd be great to see him get a stage win.

13. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I am not a big follower of the sport, but the idea of a one nut old dude (in cycling years) kicking butt is awesome. Plus, the fact that the French and the rest of Europe (though I have nothing against either one) hate him, makes it even better.

14. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I think that the first part of this year's Tour suits the classics riders. I see Hincapie getting yellow in an attack through the pave while the peloton tries to survive. After that, I see RadioShack, SaxoBank, and BMC forming an uneasy alliance against Astana through the Alps and the Massif Central. Those teams all have people Contador has alienated over the years (think Kloden most recently) and while the Pyrenees are more abrupt than the Alpine climbs this year, both climbs up the Tourmalet are long grinders...perfect for grinding climbers like Sastre and Evans.

I think its telling how I've really never seen an article or report, even in the Spanish media, about any friendships Contador has among the peloton. Even Cavendish has some friends and respect in the peloton from other teams despite his ego and tactics.

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
  16. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Fabian had great classics, but unless he was just out joyriding in the Tour de Suisse; he doesn't look good for GC. Plus, that's for the brothers on his team.
    AC is odds on favorite to me if he gets enough team support - even though the little prick bothers me.
    Cadel the whiner has done very well since he won the worlds. Again team support and climbing seem to be drawbacks for him; though he did best AC on some climbs.
    Lance did very well in Suisse, but I don't think he can hang in the mountains any more.
    I haven't seen much out of Andy this year, though Frank had an amazing time trial for him.
    My podium
    Andy, AC, Cadel

17. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Unfortunately, I see Contador possibly dropping out at some stage during the Tour. Something will happen to him during the 21 days that will take him out (crash, injury, sickness, stomach bug, technical, flat that takes forever to change, etc etc). With every team there against him (including possibly his own if Vino gets any ideas....) he will be a marked man, and he will not be given much wiggle room.

I of course to not wish anyone any harm and always pray that each rider finishes their race healthy and in one peice, but so many others have so much riding on this TdF that I'm afraid there might be some soccer style defending - if you can beat him, take him out......

18. slacker

slacker Rides Again!!!

Wrench
    Basso Basso Basso Basso Basso Basso!!!

19. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I'm no longer much a roadie fan (mostly due to the danger of the streets) but this is THE race I make sure to not miss.

I have competed at various sports quite well, even at the collegiate level - but I have yet to participate in a sport that demands so much from a competitor (mentally, physically/spiritually) as any kind of bicycling tour race.

Even in my best days as an athlete I wouldn't have been able to complete even one climbing stage of any pro tour race.

No other competition demands the endurance at all levels like they do - especially the TDF.

20. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    It is a very long race so a strong team, experience and leadership will win over pure physical strength any given TDF.

This will be one of the most exciting TDF EVER!!!!!!

Go Lance!:bang: