Torque Wrench Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Waldo, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Accountant
    Hey Bing, what's your take on the Harbor Freight torque wrenches? I know you work on bikes. What do you use? I'm in the market for a torque wrench as well. The Spin Doctor one at Performance is on sale for $55 right now.

2. bing!

bing! Active Member

I have the 1/4 and the 3/8 and have never had a problem. I do check the calibration with some weight plates and a vise just for my own peace of mind, but they've been pretty much on the dot. I use the harbor freight units and a ritchey torque key for small stuff. Haven't stripped anything yet.

Warning. The hf units are marked in pounds and kilos. Make sure ur looking at pounds.

tip: you can use the torque wrench to guesstimate the various torque levels of your torque controlled cordless drill :)

On a bike, your main purpose is to not strip stuff. For that, these things are good enough. The spin doctor, park and shimano units are all made in China anyway. If you need the good stuff, buy a CDI or Snap On off amazon for about 150 bucks.

3. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    This might be relevant for those of you whose torque wrenches are not marked in the units you like to use. Just ask Siri. "Siri, convert 14.5 Newton meters to inch pounds." Google's App will do the same thing, but takes a couple taps on an iPhone.

4. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    I <3 Siri

5. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    I love my torque wrench.. I bought the Park TW-6, more correctly the misses got it for me for Christmas (SCORE!).. .probably didn't need to ... but I feel good when torquing bolts on my carbon frame..there are some big bolts pivot bolts. Also I bought a smaller one as well different one but use it too...

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

My wife gets excited when she sees Tiffany blue under the tree. Park blue gets me giddy :)

[​IMG]

7. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

8. bing!

bing! Active Member

http://www.amazon.com/CDI-Torque-Pr...TF8&qid=1408462926&sr=8-2&keywords=cdi+torque

This unit covers 90% of bicycle torque requirements, with the exception of older crank installs and maybe plastic grub screws like those on Magura brakes.

What I don't like about it is that at the high end, 8nm/77 inch pounds, the T handle can stress the wrist. It also doesnt look too useful with Crow Foot wrench applications.