Tire Review Thread

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by guero, Feb 17, 2007.

1. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

You know, it seems to me that Schwalbe started all this over inflated tire prices when they came on the market much the same way Rockshox drove up the prices of forks with the Pike. As soon as other manufacturers see that people are willing to over pay for a product they follow suit.

There's a perceived quality with over paying. For example, back in 2007 I was able to buy a brand new Foes FXR frame with a Curnutt shock for $1499. The next year the price for the same exact frame was nearly double the price. As it was told to me the reason for the price hike had little to do with overhead costs hear in the US. It had more to do with that it was really hard for the them to convince people that Foes was a quality frame in the European market when Intense, Yeti and Santa Cruz were all selling their frames for quite a bit more and with out the Curnutt which is $500. more than a Fox.

2. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    That may well be true Roger, but what do we do about it? I've gone back to trying the cheapest tire I could find that I thought would still be appropriate for me, and so far the only complaint about my new $20 Foret Pisgah is I couldn't, for the life of me, set it up tubeless. Tho I would prefer tubeless, for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a high-end tire, I'm willing to comproimise. At least for now.;)

3. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Maxxis
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=61148

Schwalbe
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=40867&category=624

4. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
  5. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Well I have been riding for a while here is what I think.

a) Mounted easily for me on my Stans Arches-Ex with a floor pump, made very clear confidence inspiring "Ping" and the RTR (their version of tubeless) bead set
    b) Solid Feel, running 27.5 lbs, seems to be holding air well after stans setup
    c) Have done a lot of technical climbing on both rock, loose and combo and it is working very very well (important to me)
    d) On descents / trail it is doing what I back tire should...which means I am not thinking about it, it is holding the line in both quick and sweeping turns, not loosing grip /skidding when breaking before the turns, on the steeps / loose plenty of confidence and I don't feel it dragging.
    e) It has a little more rolling resistance on pavement / superhard pack, I am sure other will be able to tell on hard pack, but I am not racing on this tire and it feels fine
    f) For the Price it seems to be an excellent tire. I did a lot of reading and lots of mixed reviews on Contis but this is definitely a 4 Star all arounder so far, what I did seem to understand / read is Buy the Conti's that are actually made in Germany (not all are), they are higher quality (that is the matrix for the Mountain King II below)
    h) May have to consider a Conti for Front...I don't go through fronts as fast so the Nobby Nic is holding up so far....infact I may consider this tire for the front...

[​IMG]

6. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Really? I had no problem setting mine up as tubeless with a floor pump.
    I really like the Pisgah. I think it's a great tire even if it costed more.

7. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Yeah, the tire was shaped in such a way as to keep the beads close to each other, even after leaving it on with a tube inside for 24 hours. I could get one side to seat on the rim, but the other just wasn't cooperating - and I'm using a compressor. I may try it again now that it's been a few more days with a tube inside. But, for that price I'm OK with that kind of compromise and I agree that it's a good tire.

8. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Do you have the wire bead or the folding?

9. Eric W

Eric W Member

Home Page:
    CST camber works great and you can get them for under $20. I'm running them tubeless without a problem CST is the same company the makes maxxis.

10. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Wire bead. Folding was another $10 at the time I bought it.:p

11. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Hutchinson 650b Tire

I just picked up a set of Hutchinson Cougars 650b tires. So far these have been absolutrly spectacular. They mounted perfectly to my 650b wheelset tubeless the first time with zero leaks. Having only ridden two trails s far I will hit up a coupe more trails before posting an in depth review but so far so good. These could easily be my new favorite tire. Coming in at $75 bucks each at The Path these cost less than Scwalbe tires but more than most brands. Great tire in all 3 sizes 26, 27.5 & 29".

12. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

You cheap bastard ;)
    My folding bead was only $25. That might be the reason why they're hard to seat.

13. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Forte Pisgah from Performance: 29er, wire bead ($20)

This is based on 5 rides with this tire on the rear wheel, mounted up with a tube.

Price/Value: Decent basic tire for the price. (4/5)
    Climbing Traction: Decent traction on most climbs (packed dirt/rocky/gravel/even shallow sand). Does fairly well during standing climbs on loose over hardpack. (4/5)
    Cornering Traction: Breaks loose on flatter turns sorta early, but predictably. (3/5)
    Tubeless Conversion: Couldn't. Never able to get the 2nd bead even close to the rim wall. (0/5)
    Descending Traction (steep and loose): Worthless. Sucks @ss. Had to walk sections I shouldn't have. (-10/5)

This tire would work for 80-90% of my riding, but I'm ditching it. Ordered this, and we'll see how it works on the rear. I'll keep the Pisgah for a back-up/emergency tire.

14. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I definitely think it's a better front tire than rear.

15. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    Just return the Forte tire at Performance. Get some Cliff bars or something with that money.

16. strobe

strobe resident noob

This sounds like an abuse of the return policy, imo. The tire didn't suit the terrain or riding style of the cyclist. Not Performance's fault. Not even the tires fault. I would just take the $20 hit and chalk it up to a learning experience.

17. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    This is pretty much it. Even though I am not "satisfied" with the tire, I held no illusions about it being a great tire for $20. If I was willing to stay away from loose and steep terrain for the life of this tire, it'd be great. And perhaps it is better on the front as Roger said - though at this time I'm not gonna bother finding out.

Anyone want a decent/basic/slightly used 29er tire for $15? :wave:;)

18. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

On my 29er SS, I'm liking WTB Nano 2.1 folding on the front and Kenda Small Block 8 on the rear. I use tubes and my bike is more of a piece of exercise equipment to me than anything else so take it for what It's worth.

19. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Kenda Excavator 26 inch 2.35 DTC (runs true to size, good volume 2.35), ~740gr. Ran on the front about 2600 miles and then on the rear maybe 400, almost two years. Tubed at first, then tubeless the past year (28-32 psi).
    Rider/bike/trails: 185 geared, 5.5/6 inch FS, All the usual trails around OC, smooth/twisty to steep/chunky

This tire worked well for me in all conditions, cornering, climbing and braking all very good. When I took it off the front to replace with a newish Hans Dampf, the HD did feel grippy-er in cornering, but the HD was not as worn as the Excavator so not apples to oranges. This is NOT a tubeless ready tire, but I had little problem mounting it tubeless. The sidewalls are single ply so if you tend to steamroll sharp rock sections may not be for you (I had no problems with the sidewalls holding up). The side knobs are big and stiff. There is an approved modification how-to (i.e block sipping) out on the internet by Eric Carter, how to improve it for other conditions.

+ Can be found cheap ($20), Great performance in varied conditions and trails, wears great
    - Thin sidewalls if you are hard on them

Bottom line, I like it enough that I just got another and mounted it on the rear to mate with a HD in the front
    :beer:
    pic when I took it off:
    014 comp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  20. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    Not really, as long as you buy something else with that from credit and feedback to the company regarding the reason of product dissatisfaction after a short usage period. I've seen people return thoroughly USED cycling clothing at the store - something like that is an abuse of the return policy.

I'm in the product development and quality assurance line of work for a certain industry.
    Those type of customer feedback are the nectar of the gods for continued product improvement efforts if they choose to do so. Some companies spend tons of research money to get voice of the customer feedback.