Thursday Night Fully Suggestions....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dino Brown, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

The growth of the Thursday Night Fully Ride has been nothing short of astounding. It seems as though every week brings us a new rider... or two.. or three! As the ride has grown, it has also slowed. The purpose of this thread is to simply forward a few suggestions Newbs and Regular Participants have made to MANY of us! If you want to shoot the messenger-fine! Shoot me.

A few criticisms I have heard along the way....

1) The ride originally began as a 6:30 ride. For various reasons, it was changed to 6:45. It seems as though we now leave no earlier than 7pm. That may be too late for many reasons. It is quite possible (2) serious injuries "may" have been avoided if the ride had started earlier.

2) How 'bout reducing/shortening the number of stops along the route?

3) Quite a few people have yet to ride the golf course/dam area due to lack of light. Leaving earlier may change that.

4) If a rider shows up a few minutes AFTER the main group leaves the parking lot (at 6:45 sharp), they (regardless of skill level) can EASILY catch up with the group at the first or second stop.

5) The days are getting shorter

6) More care must be shown when crossing streets ... All it takes is one car to ruin someone's day!

7) Hmm... I forgot!

Any ideas or input (that includes STR Lurker's/Newbs) would be most appreciated.

2. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Lights light and more lights.... whether entry level or HID, tape a flashlight to your helmet... just please come prepared as the days are getting shorter.... If it is a weight issue take the roll of quarter out of your pocket....:beer:

I read in another thread that someone mentioned that lights do not work due to ambient city lights and such but I always bring my light and I always have people following that light down the last hill so that they can see...

Just my thoughts...:wave::wave:

3. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/secĀ² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    Split the group

You could possible split into 4 groups that can each have a different pace:
    1. Advanced: For the Hammerheads or those that may not want to stop and regroup.
    2. Intermediate: For aspiring Hammerheads
    3. Beginner: Slower pace
    4. Newbie: For those that are new to trail riding
    Faster riders can always ride with a less fast group if they don't feel like going at a faster pace. Each group can have an unofficial group guide.

The less fast a group is...the more regroup stops there'll be.

4. mcgyver0302

mcgyver0302 Life behind bars

Slave
    Home Page:
    The question is: Do you need lights for a couch? Flashlight or HID? What about cup holders? I like the 6:45pm start, and straglers catch up. Yes, bring lights (any kind). And yes, less stops... All good.:clap::clap::clap:

5. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    We started going there later because the guys at Adrenaline(and other people who work) can't get there any earlier. We get off at 6 and usually have customers there at 6 too so we can't really leave til like 6:15-6:20 then there's all the traffic.

Everyone just needs to get lights if they have trouble in the dark.

We stop frequently so we don't drop slower riders.

As far as crashes, with more riders, better odds are that someone is going to have a crash, just a ratio thing.

6. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

I would LOVE to start earlier!! And I agree with Dino about the number/length of stops. I think a few regroups after the climbs would be cool.

Also, it's annoying having to mess with setting up lights and we should take advantage of the long summer days while we still can. Save the lights for when we REALLY need 'em!!

7. Rob

Rob Active Member

There's also already an earlier thursday ride there too, lot's of people show up at 5:00. Why change the times?

Most people in the work force get off at 5:00 anyways so they need to get ready and then fight traffic to get there.

The 5 o clock group get's done with the first loop about 30 minutes before the 6:45 group

One of the things that makes the Thursday night fully loop social ride so much fun is the night riding factor.

8. Ricky

Ricky VIVA HIERRO CABALLO!!

Student
    1) I think that we should be leaving earlier... i think leaving no later than 6:30 would be ideal purely for the lack of light towards the end of the ride, and as the daylight leaves us earlier and earlier, even the 6:30 time will be too late to leave with such a large group. It seems that many of the accidents happen when we're kind of rushing back to the parking lot after the dam and it's getting dark. Safety First!

2) I know that this is a recreational ride for all levels, but I definitely think that there are too many stops... This also can lead to potential dangers. As we regroup at the park, and again at the top of the hill after the park, the trial becomes more narrow, and there seems to be a bottleneck going as we are crossing the street just before the downhill... which can lead to dangerous pile-ups... maybe less regrouping would thin out the pack a little...

3) See 1.

4) Agreed.

5) See 3.

6) Agreed, but I haven't experienced anybody being reckless while crossing the streets. Just remember to look both ways:)

7) I never knew, so forgetting is okay for now...

** I'm not trying to imply that we should have different groups riding at different paces, because we're all there to have fun, but I think that we should all just be more careful when riding in such large packs. The group mentality sometimes takes over for better judgment, and accidents happen. I definitely think that leaving with more available daylight will solve many of the problems.

All you girls and guys rock!!!:bang:
    But mostly the girls... hahaha....

:beer:

9. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

10. guero

guero iFroth

good call dino. i have noticed that there is a "rubber band" effect to this ride. meaning, there are a few hammers who seem to sprint from point to point and then there are the medium paced riders and then the slower riders and then the noobies. the hammers stretch the band and reach point A in x amount of minutes, then the slower riders reach point A in xx amount of minutes and then the noobs arrive in xxx amount of minutes, thus contracting the rubber band...then, the next sprint begins and the rubberband stretches....well, you get the picture.

im not sure if there is a way to separate everyone into different groups. and i really dont know how to come up with a solution. but i know if i was a noobie, and this was suppose to be a mellow ride, i would be a little intimidated with the pace of the ride, as it is rather quick in my eyes. im far from a hammer when it comes to riding and a quick pace, but i'm not slow either. i like to just cruise the loop and enjoy it for what it is. if you like to go out and hammer, then go for it and dont wait to regroup just so you can take off and say you were first to the next regroup area...this would eliminate all the regrouping and lag time. we all end up back at the courthouse. it is inevitable that people will experience mechanicals along the way, so nothing we can really do about that, but i think if this is a social ride, the pace should maybe be a little more mellow.

the 645 start time works great for me since i am coming from downtown long beach.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

You all work in a bike shop......I sure hope you all would be able to catch up if you are running a few minutes late. It's not like you are the noobies on the ride.[-X :wave: :-k :beer:.

I work til 7 every night so I cannot make this ride. Sounds like fun though.

12. Rob

Rob Active Member

I'm sure we could catch up but starting 30 minutes earlier is not going to make much of a difference in the safety of the ride, and will probably affect the amount of people who can participate.

I enjoy the 10 minute preride festivities as well, as I'm sure many others do too.

13. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Good topic, Dino.

Definitely down w/ a 6:45pm sharp departure. Some do a quicker paced pre-lap and often cut it short to make it back for the established 2nd lap start time. Can get a little frustrating when it takes an additional 15-20 minutes to get rolling.

As far as cutting/shortening regroups, the 3 or 4 main spots we've been gathering at would be sufficient if they were more organized, meaning all are present and accounted for before continuing on. If you want to hammer, join the pre-ride. Otherwise, bring a light and hang with the crew. It'll be there if you need it, and soon enough, you will.

I've been "guilty" of leaving the light at home lately myself, but with the larger groups and shortening days (and rash of injuries), It'll be with me from here on out.

14. Dino Brown

WOOBIE- I love you like a Brother. Have to disagree with you.

1) True- the ride was changed to 6:45 in order to ensure my Homie's from Adrenaline:bang: would make the ride. Not a problem. You guys ALWAYS arrive on time! Most people are on their bikes well before 6:45.:clap:

2) Lights? I would guess half the rider's don't have lights. Asking a NEWB to ride around the dam area with only a 3w halogen light... a flashlight.... a commuter light makes me nervous.:eek: Note: If you can afford a light- buy one!

3) As far as your "odds of crashing" comment- darkness was to blame for 2 of the 3 crashes that hospitalized STR members.

4) Stopping- No one is trying to drop slower riders. How 'bout eliminating one stop? How 'bout continuing on 5 minutes after the last rider catches the (re)group? That is all I am saying!

5) The purpose of this thread was NOT to have a group leave at 5pm and another at 7pm. It was to exchange ideas on how to make the Tea Party the best it can be! Start as a group... finish as a group!:beer:

6) The night riding fun factor? Rest assured when daylight savings changes- your wish will come true!!:bang:

7) Rob/Woobie- Thank you for your comments! They were most appreciated.:bang:

15. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    You're all a bunch of control freaks. Let it seek it's own level. Many will bail as soon as the weather changes and it gets dark early.

I bring a light because I am old and my night vision takes a long time to aquire...I don't see well anyway. I have a 1 Watt LED I use on the Loop ($29), it works if I slow it down. I would break out the Nite-Rider if I thought it warranted it.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  16. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    With the growth of the group on the Thurs 6:45 ride, Hammers and newbs alike, it is very difficult to keep a group this size together. I know, I haven't completed a full lap in 3 weeks due to injuries and mechanicals since I've been sweeping those rides.

I think there should be more than 1 sweeper depend on number of riders and leap frog the duties so the main group can continue, since they usually wait to see the sweeper before they ride on.

We need to establish bailout points so riders who get too far behind can catch up as I did last week and Dino and Andy did several weeks ago when Andy had flats.

Start at 6:45 sharp and newbs or slower riders need to start riding then instead of waiting for the lot to clear before they ride off.

Minimize the number of regroups.

Extra credit is what it is, if you're already lagging behind, you should consider skipping it as to not hold up the group, there is always next week.

If you're new to the ride or group you need to be identified so sweeps know who to wait on or go back for. The only reason Xavier(George's friend) wasn't dropped is because I was waiting for CC, Dean, Ann and Mac Jr.(slimjim). As soon as we realized he was with us, he and I rode on as I knew Dean and company would catch up(then he-Xavier got hurt).

Yes, lights. I have lights as well and even if I feel I don't need them, I'll bring them.

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Lights are definately needed now. I have no problem with any part of how the ride goes. I like how Bret described the rubberband effect. I think if some hammers want to bust out, let them. They can decide when they want to regroup. Afterall they are out front and if they get into a situation where they need help, it'll be along shortly.As far as regroups go, the one at the beginning of the park, and then another right after has always seemed funny to me as it really is such a short climb. I usually just continue on and do two descents on the singletrack thru the trees there.If you want to eliminate one, that would be the one I choose to get rid of.

I've swept a couple times, but some kind of announcement should be given to the noobs to send word ahead if they need to bail, other then that, let's not try to control it to much. It'll thin out as it gets cooler.

18. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

My votes would be for a sharp 6:45 departure, and a much shorter Grissom stop, and to get a light (I guess I better fix mine:-k).

I don't like organized separate groups for this ride. You read Jared, no one gets left behind!

My other suggestions:
    - A Lebowski night or some other goofball theme.
    - Maybe pick a night where we all hang in the lot after the ride, instead hitting downtown. Bring chairs and everybody can bring stuff for a snackluck.

19. Dino Brown

Thanks for the feedback everyone! A little awareness was all I asked...:beer:

I am in agreement with my hero (dstepper):bang:, "let it seek its own level."

20. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

yeeah and bring the lights if u're scurr!!!:bang: