The Path (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by guero, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    Here's what I've learned, more than once and usually the hard way, about The Path: It's not worth it for me to shop elsewhere or online.

One recent example, Carla recently got a new bike. We were looking to get an '07 Specialized Demo on some kind of closeout deal before the '08s arrive. Unfortunately The Path didn't have any more 07 Demos in her size. Tani offered me an '08 for a very good price, but with Specialized raising all their prices for '08, there was no way he could get down to the level where of the '07s. I ended up finding a small '07 at a shop up by work. The price looked good so I went for it.

It has not ended up being quite the awesome deal I thought. My first clue was when I asked the salesperson about a lighter rear spring, as the stock one was way to stiff for Carla. He looked at me, kinda perplexed, and said, "Uh, we don't have anything like that here." Not even an offer to order one. Wtf? I've never gotten a response that unhelpful from anyone at The Path.

Got the bike home and started switching out a few of the stock parts for parts Carla had used on her 6.6 when we set it up for DH (chainguide, wheels, etc.). There were a number of issues such as excessively tightened bolts, a seized crankarm, and a blown rear shock. Getting all this stuff fixed ended up erasing most of what I had saved from not buying the '08 model at The Path.

You think I would have learned by now that even if the initial price is cheaper elsewhere, the after sales service and advice at The Path more than makes up for it. If something has been wrong, they've make it right. All the equipment recommendations I've gotten from them have been right on the money. Those guys ride the a lot of the same trails I do (they're just much faster:D), so they know what works around here.

I also have to thank them for getting me started doing the DH races at Fontana. It was something I hadn't ever considered until Tani suggested it. Now Carla and I are both hooked and can't wait for the season to start. :bang:

2. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Thanks for the response. Im not complaining, just saying. The next time I need some work I will think about the path, its kinda a long drive for me! In no way did I mean to discredit the path.

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I didn't have my lighter spring right away, but The Path did take care of me :D

Hopefully you guys found one somewhere!

4. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    My first visit to the Path during my lunch hour. It's pretty packed for a Friday afternoon. Entering the shop and taking it all in seemed like random chaos but sort of in a charming small business way. I neglected to ask for the sales persons name but he had a broken arm with a black colored cast (Some STR folks here might know who he is). Excellent service by far in regards to a number of LBSs I have visited. He asked what I was looking for, "5.10s and 661s", he showed me what they had, the size, he and another employee offered their thoughts on the fit and feel of the shoe and sole, offered a 10% discount for a STR member, offered a demo bike so I know how the shoes feel on platform pedals, and offered to order another set of 661s so I can try them when they arrive but no commitment to buy!! Talk about a stretch in customer service!

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    That'd be Tani :) He's the owner!

Glad to hear you had a good experience. It's so packed cause everyone wants to be out riding instead of spending their lunch drooling at a bike shop :lol:

6. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    I went into the Path with Gene on Tuesday for the first time. It was a lot of fun to just tool around the shop, stare at all of the random parts, and talk bikes with Tani and Sarah and the other employees.

I told Tani about my 29er dream bike build for next year and he was all ready to write me a quote and help spec it out, with the 10% STR discount of course. Even when I told him my time line was about a year off, he was helpful and offered to set me up on some test bikes. None of this "when you're serious about buying, come see me then."

I can see why people just hang out there. I only bought a magazine, but it took all of my strength not to buy much much more. I'll definitely be back to the Path.

7. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

if they made that place bigger...they'd have more of us slouches chilling and hanging out...right now i just feel like i get in the way of peeps. if they had a customer lounge that would be HOT!

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    d00d they had that at Garbanzo Bike & Bean up at Whistler. Not too many peeps hang out inside (but it's sweet). Couch and a TV.

I think Tani would rather have us not sit there all day :D Imagine a rainy Saturday! They'd never get rid of us. Course, they'd probably a sell a bunch of parts we don't need. #-o

9. foofighter

that's what im saying! Hell they could open up a bar sell beer and wine and get us lit and then sell us part what a setup that woudl be! LOL

I understand though people would be like barflies at the path if there was a lounge

10. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

yea they're cool people for sure... Tani (the phat) and Brian B. (donkey) are always willing to help :beer:

they also like beer and will readily accept donations

11. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

YEAH! A real biker bar for our GANG!!!!!!!!! :lol::bang:

12. foofighter

oh dang i never thought of that...it would literally be a biker bar LOL...explain that to your better half when u say you're going to the path and come home smelling like beer and parts.

queenwilhemina- your quote --Mijn fiets of mijn dood-- does it really mean my bike or my death?

13. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    I'll have to add my 2 thumbs up for the path. Past two times I've been in there Sarah (Sauce?) has been really helpful in choosing the appropriate items that I was looking for. If they had a bar then I'd be there way too much :beer:

14. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    YUP!

15. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    what the hell do parts smell like?

16. foofighter

smell your parts bag next time you will know :)

17. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    Thanks Gene :wave: I knew it was Sauce but wasn't sure if that was her name here on STR. So would building a bar for Tani at his shop count as Trailwork? :?: :beer:

18. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    forget trail work, that would qualify you for sainthood. :bang: :clap:

19. thephat

thephat Active Member

At first we had a couch in the shop

Quickly, the couch had to go to make room for more bike stuff.

We do want you to hang out even if it gets crowded.

How wrong/great would it be if we could put in a bar?

There are dreams of flat screens w/ videos going, and a lounge area.

Obviously we are currently working with brutal spacial limitations.

Thanks guys for the daydream session.

20. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Ehh.. who really needs bikes and parts? Just open a bar :D just kidding!