The Official (2014) Over the Hump Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by mwhigherground, Apr 7, 2014.

1. suicidesam

suicidesam New Member

it was a great run...place 2nd in my class and NO i didn't sandbag i just stepped up my game in the 2nd half so stop bitching :D see everyone at triple crown on sept. 28th

2. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    Yeah he races some of them. I didn't see him out there last night, but he may have been there. It was packed last night and I missed a lot of people I usually see. I think he races +45 Super Sport, but signed up for Elite at the last race.

3. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    HA! Nope. I got 4th in the series in Sport 3. I could have been top three for the series, but I had to miss 3 races for work and then had 2 bad finishes. The top group is too consistent to give up some bad races.

4. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Yes, I've seen him out there. I know him more from his time spent on four wheels (IndyCar and short course off road trucks). Lots of people from the off road world, cars and bikes, ride MTB. The guy who won B44 coaches some off road drivers, there's been a few current MX guys out at OTH this year. Would love to see Showtime race OTH, he's damn good on an MTB. Plus there are some guys like Rob Naughton and Todd LeDuc that were downhill champs that now race off road.

5. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Man, the course was tough last night. Apologies to the guy who crashed behind me when I couldn't get the bike turned in that left-hand 180 at the bottom of the hill. Don't know if I got in his way or he was just following my bad line.

Hate to see it end, had a fun season. I think some shout-outs are due.

Thanks to the Linked folks for putting on the kids races. My son came out four or five times this year and loved (most of) it.
    Thanks to all the great sponsors and vendors. Had a pair of pedals rebuilt by Crank Brothers (no charge!), won a Fox hydration pack in a drawing and last night picked up a Scorpion bike stand for $20+ off. Love all the people that support our little summer series.
    Thanks to Dino and co. for the tunes and encouragement on the hill!
    And, most of all, thanks to the organizers. They really mixed up the courses this year and I liked it. Of course, they were able to do that more because of the low lake levels, and nobody is happy about that.
    Oh, and thanks to all the competitors for making it fun and racing hard without taking it too seriously.

OK, time to start training and get in shape to do Sport next year...

6. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    regarding the tough course - I saw O'Mara post that the course was difficult as well in an Instagram post.

I'll have to make it out to spectate one time and bring my old motocross trading cards to get autographs, haha.

7. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    My race ended just about as quickly as it started. Got a great jump out of the gate and was up near the front group (Sport 3) - I don't care WHAT people say...at least with OTH getting out in front is a MUST to get positioned for a decent finish at the end.

Well, it seemed like a bunch of other folks had the same idea, after that first 180 degree turn I stayed on the outside (left) and was riding next to a buddy of mine (Quyen). From what I can tell a bunch of folks surged up the middle of the pack to get ahead, forcing my buddy out and into me. We touched handlebars and down we went. I ended up with some scrapes on my left arm and leg and a grade 2 shoulder separation to go along with it. My front wheel almost went "taco" on me which burped the front tire and busted a bunch of spokes. Quyen was also banged up but his bike definitely looked better than mine (drat).

Bummed that I ended up with a DNF on the last race of the season, but even if I completed the race I probably wouldn't have held 5th place anyway, a lot of folks had their typical good rides and ended up jumping me (glad I got 9th nonetheless). My training has helped me to the point where I could ride strong for all 3 laps and I learned something each race. My lesson this time is to get out even stronger so I'm out in front (easier said than done tho)!

No foul play on this one but definitely a LOT more aggressive riding I saw out there and as I heard from folks after they finished. Another AWESOME season of "humping" and very grateful to all the folks who work so hard to put this great series together! :bang:

8. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    I usually hang back on the start, but was in a battle with Fullerton Mike and another guy for 4th in the series.... So this time I went out front off the start. I heard about the crash afterwards and was glad I was able to be ahead of it.

Good times this year for sure. I'm bummed its over.

9. gigerrider

gigerrider New Member

Mechanic/full time student
  10. Team Smitty

Team Smitty MVP CYCLE CENTER

Dirtector of composite structures
  11. Team Smitty

Team Smitty MVP CYCLE CENTER

Dirtector of composite structures
    Funny Matt, I never knew you were TranceRider until I put your and TranceRiders crash together.....you're the same guy! Sorry you had a bad day but glad you had a good time in the series.

12. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

13. grendal

grendal Member

Hope you heal up fast Matt.