The DH race at MSA was pretty good, no?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by bing!, Aug 11, 2013.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I watched the whole flippin' thing, since I was flat on my back with back spasms. I about went into another set of convulsions during Stevie's ride. Awesome riding and what a stacked podium. Can't get much better than those five SPOILER ALERT: Stevie Smith, Atherton, Hill, Minnaar, Gwin. That's two wins and two second places for Gee in four races - not too shabby. Reminds me of the good ol' days when Gwin rode for Trek.

3. bing!

bing! Active Member

I was watching on an iPad and some big ass headphones. My wife was really bummed with me shouting Steve on! 0.18 secs.....1.2 secs......WIN WIN WIN!

4. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Funny - there was a time in the not-too-distant past when each World Cup DH race would generate a 2-3 page thread on STR. I guess the DH fans are elsewhere these days. Current STR junkies are more interested in lycra v baggies and wheelsize debates. Too bad.

Side note: If anyone witnessed Rachel Atherton's wheel come to a dead halt between rocks while her bike levered her over the top, they would have some pretty good ammunition for saying "that wouldn't have happened with a bigger wheel."

5. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

I watched the whole thing too, after it started raining didn't think the top ten or so left to start would have a chance. I believe Steve Smith was a little slower at the second split and then took the win my almost a second on the bottom section. Beast!

Yeah Rachel's front just stopped on that rock, ouch. Didn't see anyone else hit that rock straight like that tho. Funny the announcers later were talking about some teams had the option of running 27.5 but didn't think this was the right track to do it on (if my memory serves).

6. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    With the long straightaways and the big holes, I would think this version of the MSA track would be the ideal track to try 650b. I'll bet we see them in South Africa at the World Champs.

7. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    That was a pretty big hole Rachel went into, I'm not sure if 650 or 29er would fair any better with the body position Rachel was in. She was attacking the rock section. The better story is, why is there a baby in a pack? Looks like the baby got whiplash from the crash, good thing it was plastic!

http://instagram.com/p/c4qhOBsbva/

8. oldschoolpl510

oldschoolpl510 Member

Parts Guy Infiniti
    They were talking about how the racers use the holes to slow down their momentum, and the 650b's end up skimming over the top. I remember reading that being the reason Brendog is on the 26" Scott.

I was super stoked to see Stevie's time after split 2. I could see how over a second could be made up where Gee made his mistake before the bridge. I was equally stoked watching Hill take a podium spot.

9. tweasol

tweasol New Member

Still can't believe how SS made up almost a second at the end of his run. It's like he knew. Very nice.

10. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Gee crash from practice.

[youtube]RK3LXYe_H_w[/youtube]

11. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    I think crazier than the podiums were those few guys who went off that huge drop off the corner with a flat!

12. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    They're out riding.

How much do you guys think the rain mattered? I thought the upper section was def slick on the grassy and some of the rocks looked pretty sketchy. The guys (last 15 - can't remember) who went during and after shower were pretty immense. Crazy good course.

Best line of the weekend from Gwin on all the "freeway grooming" - "it's like a bike park." Haha. And that I took to mean not praise but regret at taming the speedway that is MSA.

13. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Wow! The spectators are very interesting in that spot. One is using a stick on a bike frame as a noisemaker, and another is using a stick in a wheel. Not sure why there's a baby carrier so close to the trail, and where the occupant is located. Glad the plastic dolly made it out unscathed (as well as Rachel).

14. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Holy Crap, why is Gee taking his shorts off? Are they so tight (for looks) that he can't breathe? That was a massive crash, was it from the morning practice before the race?