The Cholla 5 minute club- post your times!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ehansen007, Feb 18, 2009.

1. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Who are you trying to kid, you don't have to be in sight of anyone or anything, you'll just keep chatting up a storm no matter what! If I remember correctly, you called to chat while you were LOST on a trail just to say you were lost! However, one always knows where you're at on a trail...just listen for the LAUGHTER!

2. brandoc0mmand0

brandoc0mmand0 Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Im creepin' on that 6 minute club. Hit 00:07:14 yesterday with stinky180! :beer:

3. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

lol, i was up there about a minute earlier

4. SOCMTBR

SOCMTBR Member

Home Page:
    I was thinking to join the crowds of Cholla 5 Minutes Club. Just did it this morning, my best time is 6 minutes and 13 seconds. Those rock garden in the middle kind of tricky. Usually I chose the middle line but this time I picked left line made my tire slid but I was able to completed the whole section. Next time better! :)

Is there any Mathis Best Time Club here?

5. brandoc0mmand0

brandoc0mmand0 Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Creepin on ya!!

Nice run Indy, I finally broke the sub 7 min mark last weekend at 00:06:48....still a long ways to go to catch up to Mr. Brian Lopes at 00:02:37!! Beast!!

I have yet to climb Mathis without stopping haha...that hill goes on forever!

6. SOCMTBR

SOCMTBR Member

Home Page:
    That's insane!!! Who can beat that time? Next time I do Mathis again with no stop I'll check my time. ;)

7. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    yeah Ive noticed that the rock section has goten super slippery lately

8. strobe

strobe resident noob

I know Lopes was playing around with the XC Eliminator style races during the 2012 season. Thats all explosive sprint power. I wonder if he did a lot of his training on Mathis and Cholla to get into form?

9. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

Im under 5:00 every time! my best is 4:31, does this make me special, will someone please recognize my skillllzzzzzz I neeeeed someone to notice me!!!

10. carbonman

carbonman Captian of BIG RED

what's that?????
    Now if we ride Cholla on the tandem to the top do we get to divide our time by 2? We've ridden it a couple of times but I haven't been watching the time, just thankful to make it to the top without stopping or crashing into downhill traffic.

11. melster

melster Member

Software
    My best time ever on Strava was 5:14. I've never been motivated to try and break the 5 minute barrier because I only get to go there on the weekends, and it's too crowded. With that said, I have a healthy respect for the people who can ignore pain and bust their legs and lungs to go under 5 minutes.

12. ezworks

ezworks Member

Daaanng!!! Strava really push the riders to be the fastest a**hole on the trail. #-o

Cholla (sign to sign) KOM by Brian Lopes 2:36
    Meadows Up KOM Johnny O'mara 9:42
    Mathis Hill Climb KOM by Johnny O'Mara 7:34
    Lynx Up KOM Johnny O'mara 4:48
    5 Oaks climb KOM Brad Stephenson 6:12

13. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    My best time ever up Cholla is - oh crap, I don't know! I've never timed myself and I don't use Strava! OHH NOOOOOOOOO! I better get with it so I can measure my relative worth as a mt biker. I do know that I can make it without stopping - but sometimes it's more painful than other times.

14. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

how are they being aholes??!? every one of those riders are either pro or expert level! they would be pushing up those hills regardless!

15. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    I'm no strava fan, but I agree. The time doesn't make the stravasshole, the behavior does. No way to tell that purely in times.

And wow, those are some damn quick times! I know I used to be able to do it sub 5 SS...but sub 3 is DAMN fast.

16. strobe

strobe resident noob

Some ppl use Strava for a personal goals and comparisons. Or, maybe just me. I'm too slow to compare to anyone else and usually end up in the slower 25% of riders. So, i quickly select the "My Results" so i can see how i've done. How i feel is not a very good measurement since i have had times that i swore i was draggin az5 and worn out, yet, ended up with my fastest times yet. I enjoy the competition... against myself.

I could also do the same with Garmin Connect, but, it would take more work and Strava gives me my stats on demand. Nothing wrong with Strava. Ahole riders will be Ahole riders with or without it.

17. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    and look at mathis. I think I take 7 min breaks at each of the flat sections

18. ezworks

ezworks Member

:lol: Pardon my language! I wasn't trying to be rude at all. The think that those trail above is for every users. I saw many times hikers climbed up Cholla.
    And I believe to get those insane times they gotta be pushed them self above their limit, regardless! I totally agree with you.

I never met either of those Pro riders above but I saw some "bad attitude" that applied on the trail in order to get The Best Time. I saw one lycra Pro look alike rider screaming "Move will ya!" to the slow rider at Cholla. The rider moved to the side, he kept smiling like everything was cool but I can see that he had bitter smile like "what the f*ck was going on?".
    When I reached Cholla for short breaks I found out what made those two riders acting so rude, well STRAVA that is.

Everyone has the right use of the trail. Even on weekdays, there are always someone either biker, hiker or unicyclist climbing the hills at Aliso. How did those guys did it though? ...at night? or did they closed the trail by having someone watched sign to sign on those hills. I don't think so. I remember myself when I crashed with one of the rider at the blind turn of Coyote Run. I was doing downhill from Coyote Run first hill (if you enter from wood canyon trail) and he was attempting to climb it. Short story, instead of saying sorry for what happened he was more concerned of his time "Sh*t my time is up!"... I did say sorry to him but I didn't expect him to act rude that way.

And these are sick times,
    Meadows DH KOM is Curtis Keene 3:21, 2nd is Lopes 3:22.
    Lynx DH KOM is Guy Cooper 1:18
    Rock it DH KOM is Curtis Keene 3:48
    5 Oaks DH KOM is Lopes 1:15
    Car Wreck DH KOM is Tony Tiger 1:30, 2nd C.Keene 1:31, 3rd Lopes 1:33

Please be safe and respect to each other out there! :)

19. melster

melster Member

Software
    Painting with broad brushes and making assumptions? You never met those people and you called them aholes? You weren't trying to be rude but you called them aholes? Uh...

Seriously, if you go to Strava and see when Brian Lopes got his time on Cholla, he did it on a Friday. Johnny O got it on a Tuesday. From my experience, it's rare that you'll have enough people blocking you on a weekday climbing Cholla that you'd have to be an ahole to get a good time.

There's plenty of aholes out there. No need to make some up.

20. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Lopes' time up Cholla was achieved by averaging 8.5 mph up a 13.4% avg grade.
    Freaking amazing!