The Cholla 5 minute club- post your times!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ehansen007, Feb 18, 2009.

1. melster

melster Member

Software
    Hmm...Strava definitely has issues. I just did the same loop today, and improved my time by my lap timer to 5:25. This time, Strava's got it right, and is displaying 5:25 for my Cholla Up segment.

2. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I think tradition / etiquette mandates that you take your fastest time, then subtract 1 minute from it...:lol:

3. SPONKOY

SPONKOY New Member

Interesting challenge and torture!!! Thanks alot!!!

4. S.O.S.

S.O.S. Elvis made me do it.

Smut Peddler.
    people actually pedal up Cholla?

5. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    How about a slowest competition? Due to lack of abilities, fitness, and confidence - i'm nowhere near 5 minutes.
    I usually end up walking a third to half of it.
    According to Strava 13:49 last nite and 12:51 before that.

6. Cppike

Cppike New Member

According to Strava I put down the 3rd fastest time up Cholla with a 3:38.....I wont lie, I like this, but I have to admit I think my time was really a little closer to 4:00. Not sure if Strava is still having issues. For the time being though, I'll just enjoy my 3rd place :)

7. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    Good to know I better get out there and ride it before STRAVA corrects itself!

8. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Member

Car business
    Hey you! Don't you have enough titles#-o What's your fastest time up Cholla?

9. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

Not fast enough...sad as it is I am 30 seconds from the trail head and I really hardly ride Aliso in the summer...and if I do I start w/mathis...I need to get my butt in there more often..thing is chola has to be clear of riders one peep on the trail and could cost you some time...it's funny everyone seems to be on Strava now and so we just nod and keep going don't want to ruin our times...LOL JK It's not the end of the world but a good measure...it's all in fun and lot's of super arse fast chicks out there..and trust me they'll clean me going up cholla...sending a shot out to my girl Kimmie! I think she holds back for this ol'lady

10. burritoh

burritoh New Member

AJ, c'mon you are waaay too humble. You've probably acquired more blue ribbon medals than all of us combined! lol
    Seriously though, you should be proud. You have some incredibly(stupid) fast PR times (going up & down). It's insane.
    Everytime I set a PR, feel good about it, then see how I stack up against all the fast people, guess whose name I usually see up there.

Like you said, a lot of riders are on Strava now, and although we may just nod (instead of stopping for a chat) during our rides, it is really inspiring and motivating to see everyone trying to improve their riding. I know it has definitely helped me become a stronger rider. The best part is that I can 'enjoy' the rides that I used to just suffer to complete.

11. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

I speak from my heart anyone that knows me on the trail will tell you....I am so humble and self deprecating at the same time...The bike has changed my life in the 4 short years I have been on it...Strava has become like my family...it's like FB..I have met the most amazing people in the world (like you) and have met and become friends with them because we see each other on the trails...the contests have pushed me to ride trails I have never been on.......it has encouraged me to be a better rider everyday with out the "having to sign up for races and compete"..or be on a traing schedule...

I think of it as "not competing with anyone but challenging myself"....I have bad race anxiety...just do...and I think Strava has been a way for me to over come that like I said your not lining up with anyone....

I love to ride my bike and at nearly 40 can't believe I am even doing it...never even had a bike....it's done wonders for my selfesteem...and confidence...

I thank you soooo much your words they mean a ton to me...they truly do.....I appreciate you taking the time ....and as long as the universe is willing I will pedal on...

12. SADJ

SADJ New Member

First ride at Aliso with my garmin 305 today and I was shooting for good times to post on strava. I'm loving this new little bundle of motivation that is my 305 and free strava trial. I was supposed to ease up a bit this summer... not happening so far. :) I'm digging the competition since I can't race too often.

First trip up Cholla- 3:22. Hit it again 2 more times over the course of a 2+ hr ride albeit it a bit slower at 3:44 and 3:53. 2nd overall by 1 sec on strava but there's another "cholla" climb were someone has a 2:53 or something. That's impressive! Not sure which cholla climb is "official" but whatever- I'll try for faster next time.

1st overall on Mathis climb @ 9:42- that hurt after I had already hit cholla hard twice, lynx and rock-it.

Meadows climb was 3rd overal but if I hit that one earlier in my ride I should be able to do better. Heck I remember when I was happy just to clean cholla and was ecstatic the first time I cleaned meadows. Then came some lycra and some funny tan-lines and a wife that doesn't understand why my bike has to be carbon and I needed a race set of wheels. LOL.

I enjoyed my dinner tonight after 2:20 hr of elevated "suffer score".

13. Dvocean

Dvocean Member

Real Estate
    First of all, you are a monster. Second of all I have to (tongue and cheek) thank you for taking my only real KOM away from me on Strava. :). Good work man, it just helps me know all things are possible. Now I need to figure out how to shave 5 minutes off my time. :)

14. stickendicken

stickendicken New Member

i did it in 6:40, i guess my time is pretty weak....keep on truckin

15. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

the roadie crew at work is 110% obsessed w/ strava, they love it!

ps - according to strava I have been having waaaay too much fun on vacation....... :)

16. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Well said. Whether it's Geo or Strava, I think the challenge is how best to harness the motivation those sites give and to use it constructively. I've caught myself hammering away on what was supposed to be a casual ride, or a social ride with a friend--not cool... Or, I'm embarassed to admit, doing another ride so that I can maintain my ladder position on Geo. And I could be wrong, but some riders on Geo seem to structure some of their rides to maximize points rather than maximize the fun; how sad is that?

I caught myself one morning before work hammering through the meadow between Irvine and Oaks back to the dam when the sun was just coming up over the mountains. I looked quickly to my right and saw the gorgeous scenery and stopped my bike and took a few moments to look around and realized I was missing part of the point about being out there.

I try to remind myself that speed and points are not what it's all about, and I have done better over the past year with Geo. Strava is very new to me so I'm still trying to find my way with it. I like it, but I'm not sure I'll keep it as it does seem to tend to be more about how fast you are compared to others, which is not what it's about for me. I enjoy tracking my time on Garmin to see how my heart rate, speed, etc. compare against my past rides so I can gauge my improvement, or even on Geo to see how I compare to average. I guess Strava could be used similarly to Geo, but it just seems to incentivize you to go faster whereas Geo give you points for mileage and, to a lesser extent, elevation. And besides, I really have no hope of ranking that high anyway!

It's like Bike Snob NYC said about Power Meters--something like an amateur cyclist buying a power meter is like a poor person hiring an accountant to tell him how poor he is...

Used properly, I think both sites and modern tech can be a big benefit for the sport. But used improperly, they could hurt it. I continue to set goals and try to be a better rider, but there are a lot of elements to being a better rider in my opinion and a lot of those elements can't be recorded and include being considerate of other riders and trail users and paying it forward to other riders.

Now, if you excuse me, I have to go hydrate and go to sleep so I can get up at 4:30am so I can go do a 74 point ride on Geo and hopefully get some trophies on Strava... ;)

17. grimix

grimix New Member

Great post jae. Keeping it off topic, I started logging on Geo 10 days ago and I can totally relate. I don't even have a GPS yet I just do existing routes. Which means I'm "unable" to do a ride that isn't already on Geo. Sad. I'll have a GPS soon or give that limitation up. I'm NOT going to be that pathetic :)

Wife leaves town tomorrow morning for seven days leaving me with a 5 year old, and I'm wondering how safe he is left in a locked house so I can keep riding (just kidding, CPS). Not so much for points -- but because in the last 10 days the points have motivated me to ride SO FAR above my average, that I'm scared taking a week off will have me lose interest or go out of shape or lose momentum or whatever.

In 10 days since logging on Geo my biking condition went from my lifetime peak to my lifetime peak plus 35%. Geo raised my game 35% in 10 days, the same 35% getting a new bike did over the last seven damn months, and it kills me I can't ride for 7 days now. I'm not even interested in other people's game just my own. I'll NEVER do what it takes to be top. But I love seeing what others ride there for fresh ideas.

My wife thinks I ride too much and have been excessive since logging on Geo. I just want to be in shape so if I join people on a 30 mile 4,500-ft ride, I'm not dead weight. I figure doing half that every day should make it possible.

I also think it will help me do Cholla in 5:00. I was shocked when I timed it weeks ago I was 6:30... May have a chance Wed with a babysitter to head out and see if I'm 35% faster now.

Aliso-Woods needs a daycare center in the Ranger trailer. I'd pay $3 for my car and $30 for the kid to ride all week there.

18. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I love Geoladders and my GPS.
    The ability to download previously unridden routes allows me to enjoy some fresh dirt solo without worrying about getting lost.
    Like having my own private trail guide ;)

19. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    With Strava you can hammer and be sociable since it breaks rides into segments. Hammer what you want and cruise what you want. Besides comparing yourself to others you can see your past performances on each climb (segment) and compare them to your PR. If you don't want to appear on a list, mark your ride private.

About the lesser extent on Geo - a mile is worth about a 200' climb.

If you're going far from the OC you can download routes from Garmin Connect. Point the map to the locale and you can pick and choose routes off the map.

20. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I thought I'd be reading about new times. Lets not turn this thread into a Strava thread. I'll let those off topic post slide, Thanks :wave: