Stupid Tattoos

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Brewtal, Dec 15, 2009.

1. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    no regrets here

I promise you, I will never regret the 2 tattoos I have. I am, however, glad that I waited til I was 29 to get my first one. Had I gotten one when I was much younger, I am sure I would have been one of those people that regretted my choice, because I know what I was looking at when I was 19. However, I put years of thought into my first one. I designed it myself-- well, redesigned it. Before I had it done, I met with the artist and he advised me that over the years it wouldn't hold up well, and that I needed to simplify it. So I took an existing piece of art and redesigned it to something that a) would hold up well and b) I knew I could live with for the rest of my life. I also put it in a place that could be concealed for jobs.

It was several years before I got my 2nd tattoo. I put a lot of thought into it. I designed it entirely myself and it has some Latin words and symbolic meaning that really only matters to me & Luke (since he was a main source of inspiration for the artwork and Latin). That tattoo is between my shoulder blades. Another place that it is concealed, so that it can only be seen if I want someone to see it.

Putting them in places where no one but me (and Luke) generally sees them confirms, at least in my own case, that they are not screams for attention, but rather very personal choices. Both have deep meaning for me, which is why I had them done. In fact, when I was having the 2nd one done, the entire time I was reflecting on it and what it represented to me in my life.

2. Seth Kendall

Seth Kendall New Member

High School Science Teacher
    I agree with NG. I only have one as of yet, but I worked on that piece for years before settling on the design and making sure that it held value and meaning for me. It is on my foot and is almost completely hidden by even the most basic flip-flops. I don't try to show it off and after almost 10 years I, not only don't regret it, feel that it holds even more meaning and value now. Tattoos are not for everyone, and many people get them for reasons that may be questionable, but for many it is deeply symbolic and meaningful statement/reminder to themselves and those closely associated.

3. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    Naaaaa they hate their fathers.

cool thread I for one dont see how anyone in there right mind could get a tattoo, let alone more than one.

4. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    When I was in the service I came very close to getting a tat.A bunch of us went into a shop and while the first guy was getting his,I sobered up!! :lol: -Lloyd :wave:

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

[​IMG]

Yes it sure is. Healed up absolutl awesome. Looks a little rough in the pic for a couple reason..... thats a half hour after it was finished, shitty camera, shitty light, also the center cross was the first part, and it was great quality, but not exactly what I wanted add the rope holding the cross together, and had the work itself touched up a bit while I added the hilltop and the two side crosses. . Healed up just perfect though. Like NG alot of thought and years went into this peice. One I wanted to be something that means alot to me, and that I can look at without regret.

My first tattoo was somethig I got because it looked cool, I picked it off a wall for 50 bucks, this peice has a total of about 1100 into it. Researched my artist for the fist part...... Had to re-research for another seeing the first artist ended up in prison for embesslment, another reson for the touch up work.

Myf irst was a small dragon on my shoulder, came out really cool, really fast. So I went and got another one in the middle of my back. Same artist as the first, he seemed to work pretty fast and smooth..... Now I regret having them done.... I see them in books all the time, and the artists was heavy handed, the lines have spread way too much on the little guy, and the outlines are alot too deep.... that means 3d tattoos in the sun.

Next peice for me will be my left calf, will be a large peice showing the open door at the empty tomb. Looking about 1300ish for the next with the time and detail I am asking for.

Eventually I will have the two on my back either coverd or incorporperated into yet another very large peice. I will have a full depiction of ephesians6.11-17... For the non biblically knowedgable... thats the armor of god. We know so far, the large dragon will become a part os a sheild, we are still coming up with what to do with teh smaller one......He may just become total cover up.

6. DH GLORY

DH GLORY New Member

7. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

That's an awesome phoenix.

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I agree the phoenix is beautiful but the lines are to wide. In less then five years it will all be blended together and all the detail will be lost.

9. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
  10. 29SSer

29SSer New Member

11. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Wait, why would a god need armor?

I have tattoos and they're pretty cool but I'll admit that sometimes I'll be at the beach shirtless and it feels kinda trashy.

12. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

I think as far as the stretching bleeding of lines go, it depends on the quality of the work and the position of the tattoo. I have a few tattoos, one is about 12 years old and the other is about 8 years old, and they haven't really stretched out. All of the detail and most of the color is still there. But than again I always use lotion on them on a daily basis. I will probably get more ink added in the near future once I come up with something I really want.

13. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Is that Zapata Espinoza? He's really let himself go.....

[​IMG]

14. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    not only that, but i don't need an art lesson while i'm, uh, working...

:cheers:

15. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    :-k Not sure why, but this kind of reminds me of Gabe. :lol: Am I the only one thinking that? :confused:

16. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

And when did Chunk become the president of Cameroon?

[​IMG]

17. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

How about some tats for street cred?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know. This looks kinda cool
    [​IMG]

18. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

First pic is one I found as inspiration for future work I would like to get, the crow mainly. Nicely done.
    Second is a pic of my friend's backpiece in progress. Lots of work done and lots to go!

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      112.1 KB
      Views:
    • April.jpg
      April.jpg
      File size:
      109.6 KB
      Views:
  19. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Smartass..... He doesnt ned armor, you need the armor he created for you

20. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    I've had my tattoos for so long now that I forget that they are there. I can put it like this- what is really f'n cool when you're 20 isn't really f'n cool when you're 47.

I don't regret my tattoos honestly, if I had to do it over again- I would not get any. They represent a time in my life where I had no cares, no worries, nothing to worry about but making myself happy.

At least they look nice, there is nothing that would end up in a stupid tattoo forum! ~WHEW~ I don't even "see" them anymore, they are just a part of me. When I got sleeved, it was shocking....I'd walk into a bank and the security guard would grab his gun, no BS. It has happened.

Nowadays, being sleeved is so common. I have even seen police officers that have sleeves?!?!?! Oh well, the funny thing is that my children want to know why (some) other Fathers don't have "pictures" on their bodies! LOL