Race Report SRC Winter Series #3

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Fearless Fly, Feb 5, 2011.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Some of us would like to have a longer course, but at Fontana, it would have to include too much climbing. I hear there was a mutiny the last race and they forced him to change the course and take out one of the climbs.

2. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    I think most would rather have a longer course, but know that at Fontana longer means more climbing. IMO short climbs or small bursts up hills are fine for a Super D, but any sustained climb is best left for XC.

The 2 best Super D's I've done were Idyllwild and Mammoth. Both were around 15 minutes and both were at least 90% downhill.

3. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    This would be Shane Harlow
    16 year old bmx'r starting to shread some downhill
    He's riding his dad's old rig, check out the forks!

4. EC1

EC1 New Member

You should try Ashland Oregon or some of the other Oregon Super D races....I think the climbs are a bit brutal but the DH parts are so fun, long and flowing.

Hat's off to Joe Lawwill I thought the Super D last weekend was just about as good as it could be out at Fontana given the elevation challenge out there.

It had some really nice new single track that you had to work hard on, some short power climbs and the speed section into the water jump all kept you on your toes.

I have always felt that a Super D shouldn't be based on time as much as what the course actually contains.

I know when Super D's were first getting started with the Team Big Bear guys it was designed to accommodate riders that weren't able to afford the new style of DH bikes, it was designed as a throw back to mid 90's DH courses...which were longer with more traverse's crossing the hill and some very short power climbs that you could carry speed into stand up and get over the top.

I think Super D has lost some of its original concept in trying to give riders more time on the clock. Those Super D's at the Fontana City National where you climb the same amount as you drop are a joke....thats a 1 lap XC race or Super XC!

Anytime the majority of the racers are sitting into a tempo of survival or hiking to reach the top of a climb i think it has ventured into XC territory.

I think Joe's idea is to keep it similar to what we had last weekend and not climb quite as much as we did in round 2.

5. denmother

One of my favorite Super D races is at Brian Head. Last year we did it on Dark Hollow!!!

6. EC1

EC1 New Member

I have never raced super d in Brian Head but did one of the shuttle rides they have.....really good all mtn stuff.

7. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

if we had a race like ashland around here, I would race it as much as possible. There's something about being PINNED for 40 minutes that's just completely different from anything else you can do in cycling. it's so cool.

I havn't ridden any of the courses this year, but if I could ride, I would seriously consider racing in a couple of them. just looking as a bystander they look like fun courses. I think Joe should keep up the good work. when it comes down to it, I don't see that many unhappy faces on the people coming down the course (I've been watching too, since I've been on photog duty)

8. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Nice pick Bry, has to be from practice, I'm not all tucked in full roadie stance like I was for Sunday's wind!

9. Happy_Gilmore

Happy_Gilmore Blood Donor - Give Life

that team has some really nice Jerseys

10. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

The cost for Super D is way more then it should be. If you dropped the cost you would get way more competition.

11. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    Yes thats me, the deaf guy.

12. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

How do you figure that? Its less costs less then DH but really SD and DH both require the same things?

13. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    If you put on a race that costs less then post it up on STR.

14. denmother

15. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

I think to bring more participation and competition, promoters should take a page out of the crit/cyclocross book. In that, I mean, heavily discounting for multiple races. At a crit/'cross race, you pay your 25-35 bucks for the first race, then your second race costs only 5-10 bucks more. It's almost impossible to turn down that second race. Promoters make a little more dough, racers get a little more race, everybody's happy. If that were the case, I think youd have a lot of xc racers and DH racers doing super D.

16. denmother

Good idea, why don't you submit it to Donny and see what he says!!!

17. denmother

How do you figure??? Donny's races are much less than any USA Cycling sanctioned races and you don't need a license. If you are a SRC member then you already get a discount.

18. denmother

19. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Here's the rub...the Super-D is kind of stuck in between the downhillers who are focused on practicing for that race, the XC guys who might normally do it but aren't sure about risking their XC rig (or themselves) on the one or two sections where the AM rig would be used, and the 4-cross guys.

Its almost too many things going on for one weekend with how the sport has developed.

I'm an XC guy who'd probably not do the DH, but would do the super-D if I had a second bike and equipment for protection. I'll be honest, I'm not comfortable on a course that has sections that would be too technical on the XC course...I look at the Super-D course every time to see if it'd be something I'd tackle, and the same answer comes up...too tired after the XC race to commit to the right line to go fast and be safe.

Just the way it is.

P.S. I long for the 90's style in Big Bear and Mammoth, when Downhill was like it was on the ski-slopes...speed, turns, traction....today's DH runs more like a free-skiiing speed run.

20. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

thanks! actually, that one is from your Clyde class run. your first race run was a tighter shot, but a bit out of focus http://www.bluefirepictures.com/details.php?gid=1864&pid=31548

and yeah chuck, the new incycle kits look pretty sweet. they pop really nice in the pics :)