Spinning = better MTB riding?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by capnsavem, Nov 28, 2007.

1. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Uhm, I'm not too sure about that.

If your only goal is increasing leg strength, just go to the gym and stop riding a bike.

High intensity workouts are incredibly important. Leaving them out is a pretty bad idea.

2. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

I've gotten to the point where I'm targeting my training on a spin bike, I now go down, do my own thing - I try to mix my workout up so that one day I'm working "hills", low cadence and hard pedaling. The next day, I'll do intervals, trying to vary them in length to a certain extent.

Classes are definitely good to get a feel for what a spin class is about - I tend to take portions of what I learn in class and apply them to my training rides and solo spin sessions.

Oh, and being the only MTB guy in the classes I go to, they've started calling me "baggie" since I wear my baggies...

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Shave your legs, go to Performance and get some PI spandex.

You KNOW you want to.

FWIW, Trek is having a sale on some Nike gear. I can't find the Nike shorts I wear at all anywhere (there are NO cycling shorts on nike.com), and trekstore has them on sale for $40. So, I bought a pair. They even shipped them out today!

4. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Were those knickers you were wearing on Sat. or just shorts with knee warmers? I want a pair of knickers (I am trying to avoid the inner thigh bulge that knee warmers make underneath spandex...). My legs'll never be that thin.....

5. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Yeah, I'd be super hot with my chicken legs, beer gut and moobies in spandex.

6. hardtail77

hardtail77 New Member

Do yourself a favor, skip the gym, buy a 1 speed Cyclocross bike and ride it all winter. Besides, do you really dig being on a bike that someone else sweated all over and the gym rat wiped off? I believe this is SoCal....gyms for cycling are not needed!

7. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

...until it's winter and raining and you can't ride your local trails at night ;)

even on a CX bike, it's still good to mix things up. In fact, it can actually be unhealthy in the long run to miss out on cross-training opportunities.

8. hardtail77

hardtail77 New Member

You can use the SS CX to not only ride the dirt, but you can use it in the rain (commute!!) with minimal maintenance needed. Just throw on some Gore, and you've got a score. The worst day commuting by bike (rain and such like today!) is better than being snarled on the freeway, in a car. Train pure, learn to spin the real ciclista way.:-k Oh, and you'll gain some positive aclimitization. On rainy days, the amount of free perfromance enhancing negative ions in the air is incredible. George Mitchell won't put you on his list either.

9. Bombtrack

Bombtrack Rookie

World Leader in training
    I'm no physical trainer but I do know that to prevent any plateau its a good idea to try things that your not used to. Like standing up more, pushing bigger gears, or taking a spin class. Pretty much any type of exercise will help you get faster.

10. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    single-speed :)

11. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Since October 22nd, I've lost 22lbs though a combination of spin class and MTB'ing. I don't have time to get out riding during the week that often, so spin class twice a week is a huge help for me.

It's pretty much the most cardio/time dense workout I've ever done and I get some leg strength to boot.

It's also helped my pedal stroke, even if the cranks are a little short on a spin bike...

12. Seat Sniffer

Seat Sniffer New Member

ride fixed at the velodrome!:)

13. D. Diamond

D. Diamond New Member

Take the spin classes, get the SS CX bike, ride the velodrome. Participate in all the aspects of cycling that interest you! With only a few exceptions each discipline will strengthen you for the others... think of it like semi-cross training.

14. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Recently took my first spin class ... make that half a spin class. Don't know whether it was the oppressive godawful music, the lack of ventilation in the room (i'm a big-time sweater) or the fact that i'm just too out of shape, but i had to escape after 30 minutes. I'll stick to doing intervals at high resistance on the bikes in the main room of the gym, along with the elliptical, stairclimber and plenty of weight training. I'm down 5.5 pounds since Jan. 2. If I can drop another 8 to 10, i'll be happy.

15. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Stick with it, it gets easier around the 3rd class or so!

16. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

The instructor and music choice can make or break the class, IMHO. I had to leave a spin class a few weeks ago b/c the instructor was just awful.

I would suggest trying another instructor or going to another gym in your area (I'm assuming here that you go to 24Hr Fitness).

Or, does anyone have an instructor/gym/day they recommend?

In San Diego, I would recommend:
    Angie at Pacific Beach (Mon 5 pm)
    Al at UTC-La Jolla (Tues 7:30 pm)
    Chelsy at Rancho San Diego (Wed 5:30 pm) or at College Grove (Thurs 5:30 AM)

I have taken classes with all of them...they are all great!

17. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Are you going to the 24hr Fit in Anaheim on Lemon? I thought I saw you there but I don't always recognize people without their helmets and silly mtb clothing.

I've been wanting to try a spin class there, but I'm afraid. They are an hour long, which just seems long to me. Plus I'm afraid of horrible music and people telling me what to do.

18. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Agreed - I'm lucky enough to have a Club One corporate downstairs here in the office and they bring in spin instructors from all the regular clubs. I've gotten to the point where I take music down to them so I get what I want occasionally.. :)

I just sat down with one of the instructors yesterday and mapped out a training program for the next few months with XC racing in mind (stupid Manns and their racing making me want to race!), so she's going to work with me to cater the classes with a race training slant to them (we have a couple roadies in the class that are onboard with this as well)

I did take a couple spin classes with my wife over the Christmas vacation at her gym and found that there are differences in instructors and there were some things that he did that I didn't care for during his routine. So I just did intervals during that part of the routine... :)

Don't be afraid of them telling you what to do - Just do your own thing if you're not into the segment they're on. :)

19. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I am probably going to take some SPIN classes at the 24hr in Foothill Ranch if anyone wants to go let me know. This would be new to me too.

20. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Yep, that's the place. I just started going there last month (my first gym membership ever). Be sure to come up and say hi next time if you see me there. I'm easy to spot, cuz i'm the only guy who works out with the pink weights. ;)

Give the spin class a shot sometime, Willie. You can always bail partway through if you don't dig it ... or you go into disco overload. That room is like a freakin' sauna, though; personally can't stand it in there. I will say that it was the hardest cardio workout i've ever had. I should probably try to get over my gripes with it and just gut it out.