Southridge Winter Series Round 4 Race Photos/reports (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Took, Feb 21, 2010.

1. EC1

EC1 New Member

you are correct Den Mo, i run a 40 and can get on top of it....on occasion( when the dirt is dry)i have spun it out.

2. HinkDog411

HinkDog411 New Member

Home Page:
    A 40t you say....Hmmm.....maybe I can get away with a 41? I do have some fairly good sized legs after all.......

3. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    If you are wondering what size chainring to run up front, you aren't competing with EC.

4. HinkDog411

HinkDog411 New Member

Home Page:
    HaHa! No, I'm not competing with EC, did that on the BMX bikes way back when.......just trying to figure out what to run since the current 48t up front just kills me trying to pedal, and I am also trying to keep it low $$ cuz I ain't werkin' right now and I already have a 41 that I could use...or maybe I'll put the 41 on the hardtail 4X bike & put the 39 I have on that on the DH bike, but that too would require a crank change to a different style....more $$ when I don't have much coming in......trying too have fun on as little $$ as possible.....

5. kanga

kanga Active Member

It took me a couple of days to get to my pictures.... seems like I've been in meetings since I got back on Sunday night. Here's how my weekend went:

After all the arm twisting (thanks!), I headed up on Friday morning, finding what looked like the right place to be on Google Earth. After a few minutes I found Denmo and Roger, and all was good. Thanks for the beta, and the intro to Fontana guys!

I had been thinking about racing the Super D, but there was no Super D course marked. So instead, I took a run down the expert DH course, then a run down the sport DH course. I spent the rest of the afternoon lapping the expert course (it was way more to my liking). I shot a chest-cam vid of my last run down the DH course.

Friday night, I hung out outside Mcdonalds and used the free wifi to upload to the vid to youtube. Got it to 99% and failed after nearly two hours. I went back over to set up camp, and found Cody. We took a walk up the course in the dark and talked about lines. All day except for my first hike up the hill instead of the road, I'd done nothing but lap the course, not really stopping to actually look at anything.

I tried to upload the vid of the course again before hitting the sack, this time via phone tether. Youtube was blocked on my service, but FB wasn't so I put it there. When I woke up at about 6:30, the upload said it had finished at about 4 a.m.

Saturday morning I rode a lap of the XC course just to check it out. There had been some light rain, but nothing much. The Super D course was being marked and dug while the XC was running. I rode up and took photos of people in a couple of spots on the XC course, but using PShep's SLR instead of my little S90.

Cody in the XC:
    [​IMG]

More Saturday Pics

At 11, I took my first shuttle up and squeezed in two runs of the newly marked Super D before the actual race.

Super D start...I have never done a Super D before...and I'm just starting to get nervous. It's just a ride, I kept telling myself. I just concentrated on having fun, and which gear seemed to be the best to get up the short climbs, and to push out of the turns. I ended up in too big a gear on the second little climb, mashing up it in what felt like slow motion. But other than that, it went well. I was about 15 seconds faster than my fastest practice run, and felt like it went pretty smoothly. I ended up with a 4:10, and 4th place in Expert.

After the race Edmond comes up for some runs on his new DH bike (picked up the day before) to prep for Sunday. I did a couple of laps on the sport course, and one on the expert course and headed back down. I went over to the 4X course and shot some sunset pics of Cody:

[​IMG]

Pizza for dinner, and a movie at the Rockgardn tent made for a pretty mellow evening. I was surprised how many people left after the day's crowds. We had a good soaking overnight, and the dirt was damp and tacky.

Sunday morning, I was getting ready to join the expert Spectator class and hike up with my camera. I got a couple of hundred yards from my car and said screw it. I walked over and signed up for Sport DH. I got in one more run down the Sport course.

Cody and I hiked up the course instead of taking the shuttle, and I stopped along the way taking photos of random people coming down the course on their race runs, and the scene at the top.

I hadn't eaten my usual breakfast that morning, and found myself at the top getting pretty hungry. The bottle of water bottle I'd left up there strategically perched in a bush before my practice run had disappeared. Legs were feeling a bit lifeless, but I was really enjoying the scene.

My run went really well through the top half, definitely faster than any of my practice runs. Coming through the rock garden before the wall, I got off line and went down, not hard or fast, just a complete lack of focus on my line. I was focusing on the way the course had changed since the practice runs. I don't know how much time that cost, but I hit the wall, and know what all the fuss about the wall has been! So the bottom half of the course didn't go very smoothly, and I felt like I'd lost my rhythm. Still, I was a good 10 seconds faster than my practice runs, and took a 4th spot in the "pushing 50" age group.

I only have the Supershuttle at the moment, but it serves me well. Last weekend it was almost 10,000' of climbing towing a trailer, this weekend gravity racing. (I couldn't help but think I'd smoke a bob-trailer Super D class!) If this does become habit forming I might have to expand the stable.

I don't know who was out there yelling for me on the course, but it sure makes one feel welcomed and encouraged. I had a great time. Thanks!

Lots more Sunday photos: http://otbmbc.smugmug.com/2010-Phot...thridge-USA-DH/11328759_7fwdG#795435277_ESUXy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"What? I'm supposed to shake that?"
    [​IMG]

6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I was the other Bozo:lol:

7. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    That was Christine and Barry Hirst. She races Pro Women and Barry races Expert something.

Here you go lazy.:beer:
    http://www.bluefirepictures.com/details.php?gid=1166&pid=17815
    [​IMG]
    I don think its a very good picture.

==========================================

As a side note to the 40+ people who saved/stole pictures off my site this race can you make sure to give some photo credit when you use them. Links to my site would be great. Thanks.

A real thanks for everyone that purchased one.

8. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    Super D video

Here's the video for Super D.

Not sure why I can't embed videos form Youtube.,But here's a link to it.

Super D

9. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

[youtube]4qMHHiBc2tE[/youtube]

There you go

10. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Did anyone take pics of Sat DH practice?

11. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    Your website is slathered right across the middle of every one of those pictures. Credit!

12. davidB

davidB Active Member

did we ever figure out who the other 2-3 photographers were at the XC race, and where those pictures can be found?

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

No one wants to see you in you baggy lycra:lol:

14. bluefirepictures

Home Page:
    Text that can be search and found by Google and other search engines is better. But yes thats why I have the watermark also.

15. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
  16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Per Traci
    It sounds like the people with the booth are one of them , I think they are the ones with the vest.

17. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    yeah andy thanks for the names, but im sorry i stole a picture of me.. lol.. you know id buy it sometime soon not right now for better quality.

18. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I did not read the "...xc..." part so yeah, Saturday who knows.

19. bluefirepictures

Home Page:
    Thats fine. I saw your picture on the list after I posted that. If I was you I wouldnt have payed for the one from last race either. Bad picture timing om my part. And I know that you do buy from me when they are good. See you next weekend. You bringing the trailed again?

I dont know who the other XC picture guys were. I was at the top shooting the last part of the climb then at the rock roller on the way back down.

20. rickthewelder

rickthewelder New Member

Head Intense Welder
    Hey Mike,
    You do make us look fast !
    I ordered my pic yesterday.
    Can't wait to show my kids !
    Thanks bro !
    Rick.