Southridge Winter Series #3 - Race Report (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by goldrunner, Feb 6, 2010.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

No apologies necessary!! We appreciate all you do for the Socal scene and we have learned a lot from you. I for one just wish you had time to do more clinics!!! ;)

2. TylerSkyler

TylerSkyler New Member

nooot
    I understand what your saying and it makes a lot of sence. Beating Aaron and being right behind Gee had to be pretty sweet though...even if it is Fontana :clap:

3. Drum n MTB

Drum n MTB Member

Firefox
    [​IMG]

4. thephat

thephat Active Member

EC,

How long has it been since an American has been top 10 at the world cup level? I see your point, and I am not suggesting that you should lead your life any other way. I just want to point out that consistent top 10 results at the world cup level would likely make you far and away the fastest American. I am sure you know this, but some of your fans may not. Congrats on another very impressive weekend of racing.

5. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    Your DH one isnt bad but its not great. Next race we should set up somewhere after the race and get some non race run pictures.

Denmo- I dont know what to tell you. I did some stuff on my end, but I dont know if it will help. Hopefully over time it will fix itself. I dont use IE is there something on it that will block JavaScript files from loading. You might be looking at an old menu and its not refreshing with the new one.

If you click on the July 12th 2009 race do you see practice, race and awards. Or just Race. The old menu will have all 3 the new one will only have race.

For the turn I shot you could see who had some moto background. Some of the riders came through with their leg straight out next to their front tire. Full moto style. Good call on the moto gp. That is what it looks like.

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

7. EC1

EC1 New Member

post 1 of 2

Friday:
    Took a trip out to the Tucky to set the Super D course, tried to beat the rain but with the high humidity it might as well have been raining....i was drenched from just trimming brush back and driving stakes into the ground, ran out of time to really cut trail in before the rain hit so we were going to have virgin trail for sat morning practice.

Sat:
    Always a busy day now that i am doing 3 classes, woke up sore and stiff, a little more work then i thought setting the course, got to Tucky in time for a run and a half for the Super D before race time.
    Race run was great, although i am biased to it, the course was a lot of fun with good flow, had a little trouble in the bottom rock garden during practice so i decided to take the longer smoother route through there so i didn't flat or land on my head..... the pedal across the flat above the 4X course to the finish was very painful, especially with the giant puddles that developed over night.

Was surprised and happy to take the win, John Buckell got a lot closer to me and pulled another impressive 2nd, with a little power he would be tough to beat with his smooth flow riding.

4x was stacked this weekend, but the fastest rider out of the gate in practice (Alan Hudson) wasn't racing so that was one less heavy hitter.
    I advanced out of the first heat so no LCQ and a little rest. Advanced again out of the semi into the final, this was going to be interesting, as it was the first head to head race with Mitch Ropelato after the national last year.....for those who weren't there we got into 2 small tangles, ha ha and it got a little crazy after the race. Mitch and I right after the race discussed it all and everything is all good, but i knew he would be gunning to beat me for a bit of redemption.
    I got a great start and took the lead to the first turn, i felt Mitch closing on me into turn two and needed keep the inside protected in turn 3...i jumped to the middle line and pushed the front a little on the exit, Mitch railed the turn and pulled past me by a half wheel, we were side by side on the long straight after turn 3 and i took the jumps a bit smoother and held the inside dropping into the bottom, I could feel Mitch setting me up for a pass so i had to ride protective middle to inside lines as Mitch is super creative and is one of the best passers in 4x today,
    I was able to disrupt his flow a bit and keep the lead to the end.

It was awesome to have that type of pressure from Mitch, I really had to think out every line i took or he would have zapped me.

It does feel good....those kids are really fast, i think if the wall wasn't in there they would have me covered by a couple sec's? i know i have good flow but i drag brake just a little more then those guys do on the higher speed and tech stuff.

But it is Fontana and you gotta get it down that wall.

8. EC1

EC1 New Member

Yeah i didn't feel that from ya, thinks for putting it out there fro others to know, i am proud of my World Cup and National racing and the goals i set for my self that i was able to achieve.... My day as one of the fastest American's in the DH has come and gone, there are probably 10 to 15 guys that would smoke me on the courses in Europe.

I do want to say this while talking about Gringo's...i was talking with Gwin on the weekend....we really have no idea how fast he can be!

I asked about different DH trails he has been on, he told me that he really has only ridden the steep DH in Elsinore and that the only time he rides mud,roots and rocks is when he gets on the World Cup race courses!
    I told him thats like riding only outdoor motocross and showing up at Anaheim 1 Supercross and putting it on the podium...really unbelievable.

9. thephat

thephat Active Member

10. EC1

EC1 New Member

2 of 2 RR

Sunday:

DH race day, i didn't do any practice runs on saturday as i was spent from the Super D and 4x, woke up early to make sure i could get some good runs in knowing Gwin and Mitch along with the regulars of WS, DK, LB and BIG CASA were going to be ripping, had to make a last minute change to my fork before practice after me mechanic found something that needed fixin....got up on the hill and with hiking and redoing a couple of sections i got in about 3 runs.

After watching the other guys in practice i knew i was going to be giving up a bit of time on some of the rock sections....i felt smooth but i wasn't carrying speed in 2 spots, my mind set for the race run was limit mistakes, do the best run i was capable of on top and really focus on my braking in the correct spots to maximize exit speed, and then of course stand up til my tongue falls into my front wheel on the wall!

I had a small moment in the very first turn when i started to shift where i lost focus and it was a good wake up call for me....i hit everything how i wanted to, got my shifts in at all the right spots, got all the small cranks in where i wanted to and dropped onto the road with a top half that i couldn't have done better, now for the pedal!

I just started to grab gears and go, it was hard but i put in an extra effort knowing that even with my best top run i would still lose time, i got through the last rock garden clean and started to head towards the wall....normally i can stand up before the elbow onto the long part and just keep standing all the way to the end.... i was to spent to stand up. i had to sit until after i made the turn. luckily my mechanic was standing right there and yelled at me to stand up and try harder. so i got off my tail and grabbed some gears and made it happen.

I knew i had a good run and aside from sitting that last bit i couldn't have done it better...i just hoped it was enough? Waylon came over and congratulated me on the win and inside i was stoked, i really thought i was going to be 3rd through 5th on the weekend for DH.

Went for a good lunch at the mexican spot across the street with my mechanic Sniper, Big Casa and Gwin, and then back to the venue to enjoy the best part of Fontana Bench racing with friends.

see ya'll in 2 weeks.

11. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

My take:

Having never been on a DH course, and just having seen some videos and pics from the last event, I decided that this would be a great time to try this out.

I rolled out with the Path team on Saturday for practice on the beg/sport course. I had a blast. I had to recall some old habits from autocrossing: look forward/ahead, look where you want to go. That came back pretty early. My tech skills advanced each time I went down the hill. I was having some trouble getting the bike to turn the way I wanted it to. After some advice from the guys, I started doing really well (for me, hehe)

Sunday was the same, until I did my first practice run in the morning. There was a descent to a nicely bermed left hander right before the rocks and berms that spit you out on to the road. Came into the section with a little bit of speed, chose the wrong line, got a little off down threading through some rocks, understeered into the berm, packed up the front suspension and got bucked from the bike. I landed on soft ground, for the most part. My thigh took a good shot from a rock. It felt like I had been hit in the thigh with a hammer. lol

Anyways, after that, I decided not to do my race run and played spectator/cheerleader from the middle of the course.

I can't wait to go back and do it again.........minus the thigh smack. haha

The camaraderie was unbelievable. Thank you to everyone for making it a great event.

12. WingNutt

WingNutt New Member

IBEW Union electrician
    Hey Lovin...what class/age were you supposed to race? I remember your name being called.

13. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Beginner Men 27-34.

14. MikeLord

MikeLord Lost in LA

eCommerce/Technical Consultant
    Home Page:
    FINALLY DONE! Here are the pictures. Let me know if anyone has any issues or questions.

http://www.six3events.com/

Enjoy the pics!

15. davidB

davidB Active Member

for reals?!

Please tell me you'll be back there in 2 weeks. I'm racing DH with/against you!

16. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

I'll try.

My wife's birthday is that Saturday and I'd like to see if I can get onto a longer travel bike. :bang:

17. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Lovin! I'm proud of you man! Nice job on giving DH racing a go! :bang::clap::bang::clap:

18. rb-digi

rb-digi New Member

im wanting to try this out..im in the same age group .when you say you want a bike with more travel..what where u riding ?what travel /stlye of bike?..is everybody on legit downhill rigs ?i dont have a down hill bike (yet).i have a "trail bike" but i go down hills ok

19. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

I was on a slack 5" trail bike (The Path Edition, Ventana El Ciclon). The bike was setup as a "mini downhill bike" with a 140mm fork, 66* HA, 36t front ring, chainguide, 11-32 cassette, heavier tire setup.

If I were a more skilled rider, I think I could have hauled through that course on the bike. I just think a little more travel would have been a tad more forgiving.

For example..........Me coming into the turn (doing it all wrong.........I'm not even looking in the right place):
    [​IMG]

Same turn (done correctly):

[​IMG]

I need more seat time!!!!!! :drunk:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  20. just ride

just ride cody phillips

that would be cool

that would be cool or some sat sunset shots. right now i dont have any money to buy pictures though but next month i will