Road Ride Report Solvang Half-Century

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Big Taco, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Big Taco

Big Taco New Member

I took my wife out for her first organized road ride last weekend in Solvang. The weather was sunny and breezy and the views were spectacular. The ride started in a country club down the street from the Royal Scandanavian Inn. This year everyone got a free pair of socks. The first 25 miles to Lompac was gorgeous and windy, especially at the top of the few rises you go over. There were a few recumbents, and one rider on a beach cruiser, and one woman had her kid on a trail-a-bike.
    My wife smiled during the first 25 miles...
    [​IMG]

When we got to Lompoc, we had the best tasting peanut butter & jelly on a bagel and some trail mix. We had a lot of wind out of Lompoc and as usual, the route seemed to be all in head or side wind. Highway 246 has long gradual rises that seem to turn into a death march for some. We passed some young guys walking thier bikes up a short rise, but most people toughed it out. My hero of the ride was a lady who was in her 50's, on a hybrid(heavy), fighting the wind in an upright position, with running shoes/no pedals. I gave her a GU and told her she was awesome.
    The 246, long gradual rises:
    [​IMG]

This was my wife's longest ride, she had previously did a 30 mile ride a few weeks earlier, but the rain kept her from getting on the bike recently. We finished in about 4.5 hours, with her only gripe being the constant wind. OK now the best part, post-ride food; brewskis and wine at the Firestone-Walker brewery and fries and meats and cheese:
    [​IMG]

and for dinner, a fatty salty rib eye at Shalhoobs in Santa Barbara:

[​IMG]

followed by champagne brunch the next day and more drinks on the pier...I probably gained 5 lbs, but it was a great time!

2. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Well done!!!

Couple friends from work did the century and had nothing but complaints about the wind the wind THE WIND. Dang-uh. Not much fun, but they both made it in.

- shud

3. ifouiripilay

ifouiripilay New Member

ICU Registered Nurse
    Nice job! I did the same ride 2yrs ago. Fun stuff. At that time I saw someone on a single gear. Congrats to your wife. I wish mine would ride further than 10miles.

4. SDstumpy

SDstumpy New Member

Engineer
    Nice. We were there too and also ate at Firestone Walker. Fish Tacos were awesome.

5. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Didja see the Brightroom photographers out there (in their blue vests)? I have done a few Solvang Centuries in the past few years for them, but what a pain in the a$$ that is -- shoot like 6,000 frames in a day and not even get a pee break (!!). Always fun to berate all the bikers at mile 99 though. :bang:

- shud