Solvang Century March 10th

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Jan 29, 2007.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Mike, were you at Solvang today?

My buddy and I hit the road at 7:30AM. The temps were darn cold at the start so I grabbed some arm warmers from a vendor. The first 25 miles or so were great. The sun came out after a while, which was nice. Just before I hit the first SAG I ran into a the guy riding with that lady who went down hard in Palm Springs. I guess she was also riding the century as well.

About 25 miles in my buddy took off on the 50 mile route. After that I was all by my lonesome. Just about then the winds kicked in, good times, and they didn't let up for until about mile 80.

My energy levels decreased as the winds increased, meaning I started dying early. Most of the day was quite a challenge for me until I hit the winery just before the big climb. I was able to stock up on water and felt much better. I climbed the two big hills in good stride. Unfortunately my legs cramped pretty badly on the last steep climb before Solvang.

All in all it took me about 7.5 hours to finish. I averaged a pretty slow 14 MPH, 40 MPH max, averaged 158 BPM, and 187 BPM max.

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Naw, I got stuck at work till 7 pm and then by the time I got home it was after 8 and I was dead tired from work. I've only got your wifes cell number in my cell, so I didn't call you. I fell asleep by 9 pm. I did go out and ride a century with some friends. We went ahead and rode another 60 today, but the wind made it feel like we did another century. Todays ride was harder then yesterdays.

3. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    MTBMaven -- I don't think you were referring to me, but my name is also Michael, and I was out there, but not on me bike...

I shot off 2,855 frames for my employer brightroom.com and got a freakin' bad facial burn even though I had used block. Even so, it was just the perfect gorgeous day out there. Wow. The weather was just perfect and the riders all seemed to be enjoying themselves, including one guy on a three foot high unicycle(!). Are ya kiddin' me!?!?! Ride a hundred miles on a unicycle? That's just crazy talk.

No one yelled out to me that they were STR folk, so I gotta assume I missed you.

-----

I see that Pain Freak replied just before me... and he's your Mike, I would guess. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2007
  4. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Shudder, yes I was speaking of Pain Freak, but glad you were there and enjoyed your self.

Mike (Pain Freak), too bad you couldn't make it out there. The ride was nice.

And just to clear things up for everyone, the last ride Mike and I did together I took my wifes phone because mine is a huge PDA phone. No funny business going on. :)

5. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    great ride! tuff for a bit - the wind was coming from all directions, but the last 40 miles were great, well hidden from the wind for the most part and very scenic. good event.

6. cH4os

cH4os LIVE IT! RIDE IT! LOVE IT

PMO
    Bib # 4640 post the pics Shudder! Yes, that was the most beautiful route I have ever done... (Roadwise) The Misty Morning Climb. The sun breaking in the valley, onto the vineyards. and yes the 20 miles of head wind. The return loop was nice and warm, tailwind got my average back up.. 19.5 average! very stoked! I big Ringed the entire hunny!

Drank wine all night, then ran the SS through the horse/cow pastures. which was surreal! Superfast the 48x16 was perfect ratio!

Bottom Line is I will go ride that area anytime!

I'll post the route on Geo in the morning..

7. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    cH4os -- I remember the Zep jersey... and the two Dark Side of The Moon ones as well (!!). Cool. I send my pics in tomorrow, so they should have them up (along with the other five photographer's shots) at brightroom by the end of the week. I'm not quite sure of their timing, but I do know I get docked if I don't FedEx my shots to them tomorrow (no questions asked!).