Sizing question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JOx2, May 6, 2012.

1. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

If you fit both size small and medium, which one would you rather get and why? for example a rider who is 5'7", and sizing on the bike says, like Yeti's sb66 sizing 5'3"-5'7" = small, and 5'7"-5'11" = medium.

2. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

May depend on your preferred riding type (XC vs AM). I too was on the edge of frame size at 5'7" (way back when I got my AM frame - not a Yeti) and chose the smaller frame, seems like I can toss it around a bit more (I'm no hardcore climber, more AM), less standover height, a tish lighter. I messed with stem length and setback posts to get the right reach. I also have another slightly larger framed bike that is more XC oriented and don't care for the longer reach and more standover.

Best would be to demo both sizes if you can.
    --Dave

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
  3. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    SB-66 runs longer in the top tube compared to almost any other bike. Might want to go smaller unless you are long in the torso.

Yeti demo at The Path next Sunday. Go over and check 'em out for size. Yes, it's Mothers' day, but carving out an hour to save you frustration and money is probably worth it for the whole family.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Lot easier making a small frame fit like a medium than it is making a medium frame fit like a small.

Dean

5. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Should have both those sizes for the SB66 a week from today at the shop for our Yeti demo...then you can try both:bang:

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I went with a small on my KHS and im 5'8". Easily able to make it fit, but its my am bike. I would probably go medium on a xc bike.

7. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

I think since your closer to a medium than a small I would go with the medium and run a shorter stem. Especially if it's going to be an AM bike so you can get behind the front wheel better for on the steeps. If you get a smaller bike and have to run a longer stem it might not feel as stable. I have found that most AM bikes now-a-days have a sloped top tube and usually have adequate stand over for the next size down. But as people have already suggested you really should ride both to make your own decision.

8. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

I'm 5' 7" as well. For 29ers and long travel bikes, I like the short head tubes, as the front ends on them tend to be very high. And in stack height from spacers, headsets, and stems... while I prefer 23-23.5" ETTs, I can deal with a 22" ETT more than a 4.5" HT with a front is super high. 4" Head tubes (or less) with inset/zerostack headsets on long travel bikes is $$$.

On the other hand, longer wheelbases generally give a lot of confidence and are more capable feeling on the downs. There's a lot more bikers on mediums than other sizes as well, if you think far enough ahead to consider parting with it. A neg rise stem can solve the stack height issue.

They'll both fit ya. I've ridden large and XL before and it's not so bad. Being too cramped on a bike typically leads to wanting to buy a new bike, but all Yeti's I've demo'd in small fit me fine. If it were the ASR7, I'd definitely reco the small, but, for the SB-66, I'm leaning on recommending the small.