Single ring sans front derailleur..anyone using it?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by taprackbang, Jun 15, 2014.

1. strobe

strobe resident noob

Yup. My mtb's are 1x1 and 1x9. 34x34 is my granny gear. And i'm not that strong. But, i'm a better masher than a spinner.

I didn't single speed until i started middle ring for everything. I seemed to drop my chain when shifting to granny and if i was riding choppy terrain, so, i started keeping it on the middle. I don't miss it. I am still running 3x8 on my trainer/commuter and 3x9 on my neighborhood/kids trailer bikes. Only because i need to bigger ring on the commuter and some hills seem too steep for me when i add 70lbs of kid and trailer.

BTW, i hate you, lol. :lol: . It takes someone called "CarbonLegs" to make a statement like that.

Ride your new bike the way it is. You will know when its time to switch to a lighter, more suspension, less gears, bigger brakes, or more pads. Learn to do "most" of the maintenance on your bike and wear through 2-3 chains. You should start saving money now. When you are ready to change that 3rd chain, you will be ready to buy your next bike that has most of your needs built in.

2. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Not sure that i agree with this. I am the world's slowest and shittiest climber and I did the Counting Coup this year with a 1x11 set up. No, seriously, I'm a slooooooow climber and the 1x11 setup hasn't affected my climbing at all. The only thing it's done is drop weight off my bike and make me think less about shifting while I'm riding.

3. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    Remember that you can put a very small chainring upfront with 1 x 11. 28t is possible.

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

I can attest to this. I am a less than average rider when it comes to climbing and strength. I still need my 22 ring in the latter steep climbs of my rides. However, when I was on Creatine, I never had to leave my 36 chainring with an 11-36 cassette. Off creatine, I went back to sucking.

Which leads me to believe, if you are a strong "average" rider, you'll be fine with 30x11-42. All you're missing on the low end is the last two, if not just the last cog on a regular 2x or 3x drivetrain.

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Or 1x10.

I run a 28 bling ring right now, but your are limited to certain type cranksets to allow 28t chainring.

6. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Why?

7. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Rock/Log clearance :)

8. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    That was in response to this convo, but I was basically saying you dont need to be a masher, because you can use a small chainring.>>

[​IMG] Originally Posted by Varaxis [​IMG]

I also believe that if you like to keep climbs casual and rest while riding up, then it's likely not for you. You really have to go at a certain pace to climb efficiently with a 1x, and slowly is not it. I personally find it's best if I attack climbs and recruit some more assistance from my glutes and hips to power those pedal strokes. It can take a while to build up strength and endurance with those muscles, but I don't feel an urge to go back to having a granny except on really heavy bikes after going 1x. What I do miss is having a higher top-end though, running 32x11-36.

Not sure that i agree with this. I am the world's slowest and shittiest climber and I did the Counting Coup this year with a 1x11 set up. No, seriously, I'm a slooooooow climber and the 1x11 setup hasn't affected my climbing at all. The only thing it's done is drop weight off my bike and make me think less about shifting while I'm riding.

9. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Inability to push a bigger gear for longer periods of time.

10. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

I am on gears for the first time in 16 years. I can clean the Floop with 36/11-34, no need to go to the 22, (But the Floop has no really hard climbs.) I'm considering ditching the little ring, FD & FS, but I want to do more serious climbs to gauge if I still need a granny ring.

Any suggestions for climbs that might merit keeping the little ring? 3Bs at Oaks? Any others?

11. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    After reading some post's, sounds like weightlifting may do some of you guys good. Im surprised to read 1x system did no damage in CC event, maybe the legs weren't being used in full effect, or maybe not enough training with this system or you were not pushing (dunno). I done this loop with 34 and 32 ring- you burn up a bit on the MD and up MS with 34 ring (good training tho). As far as im concern, 32 ring is on the money. The only time you will be effected by this system, is if the cassette isn't right, BC you will run out of gear on the back end stretch of Trabuco to Finish.

When training:

Rides should last between 45 to 120 minutes, and interval training for endurance should last between 20 and 50 minutes, depending on your goals. You can also improve endurance by cross-training in sports such as such trail running if need be, or my favorite- spin class. These classes allows me to focus on proper leg extensions. For Example, when to relieve quads for active recovery and engaging hamstrings. Proper seat height will allow you to use such technique.

Weight training:

Using leg extensions, leg curls and squats is an excellent way to sync it all together by increasing endurance and explosiveness. For extensions and curls, use low weights of 20 to 40 pounds with four to six sets of 20 to 50 repetitions. For squats, use weight at or around your body weight and do a high number of reps. Performing jump squats is also an effective way to improve explosiveness and, if you do them often, they can replace or decrease the need for weight training. Besides adding power to your muscles, these exercises help you gain a higher lactic acid threshold and increased pain tolerance. This should work, especially if you are naturally inherited to Cramp- In some/other cases, there is nothing you can do about Genetics = (

No matter what way you train, always push yourself a little harder and a little faster each week. The most common error in training is becoming complacent with the routine. Always try to change it up. Diet, Weight lifting along with combat cocktails have always been key "for me". When pushing the limits, i can hit 203hr and figure out where my legs are comfortable/strongest. HR monitor and Garmin should always be used as tools. Be as efficient as possible with them both- Just saying

Sorry if i misdirected the thread, but its all relevant....

M.

12. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I know, carry two chainrings with you and swap them out to get different gear ratios. Wait - maybe you can mount them in such a way to give you an option to use one or the other - perhaps without even getting off the bike. Ohhhhh, if only there were a way! Dare to dream I guess.

13. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Mathis, Cholla, Meadows, Willow, Mustard for some, Dreaded...

Max grade in FLOOP is like 9%. Max grade on Mustard is like 17% and that's not even a very tough climb.

Cue the hardcores who will tell you they climb those in 36x34 (or mathematical equivalent) all the time.

14. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I don't know what this means. How and why would a 1x setup do damage in the CC?

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Well on the only 1x bike I have it's due to the bike, no way to runs FD on a Kona Honzo. I would love to be able to runs FD but I can't.

16. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    @Mfoga - Even though my reply quoted you, my smartassity was aimed at the entire thread and the 1x11 craze rather than at you specifically. I know that lots of frame manufacturers will no longer be designing frames to accommodate a FD, leaving us once again without an option to use something that works really well for the bulk of us. Thank you trendiness!

BTW, Crank Bros will now have to turn around their trademark logo. The big ring will have to be on the left, and the little ring on the right.