Road Ride Report Sierra Climbs: Onion Valley Road & Everest Day 2 climbs

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by obie, Aug 2, 2010.

1. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    The plan was to do the EC climbs on Sat. but I was late getting into town and needed to chow down first. Rode up to Independence with a good tailwind and big heat. When I started the Onion approach the temps were topping out at 108 and the rollup to the hill tough enuf, so I knew I was in for some bizness on this one.

Topped out at 9200' and do think this is worthy of the Summerson #1 ranking out here. Just one bear of a climb. Great climb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride back to Lone Pine was a hassle. Big headwind and 105-110 the whole way. I was planning on a double - do the Portal after a break - but, I knew I was toast and needed to do as much of the EC recon the next day. Did get 60 miles and 6000'. Good day in the heat.

Drove up to Big Pine and left the truck at Mendenhall Park (big public park a block in off 395, with flush toilets, water, picnic tables and plenty of big shade trees.) I headed up to White Mtn. (Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest) and the rollers for the first 5-6 miles are tough - 8-12% with very little let-up. The climb is 24 miles and this front end is taxing. After about 6300' the views change completly and the ride is truly one of the great climbs I've ever seen out here. Topped out at 10,200' at the Schulman Grove Ranger Center (the Finish of EC Day 2) and then took the hardpack up another 2 miles towards the research center. It appears from the map that you could get over 11,500' on a CX if you took that road. My 700x23's were OK - but they had an event going on up there and a lot of traffic was putting me off the center towards the sandy shoulders.

Rangers hosting an open-house and free cookies and lemonade. Nice. Saw a lot of roadies up here -great climbing with a couple other 60+ goats who shared story and made that last 1000' a great effort. This is one big climb - everything about it is as advertised. Throw 'Epic' on this one and it fits tight.

So many good tough climbers up here - no news to you guys I'm sure - but this was one of those "all-time" climbs for me. Great climb, company and views. The Sierras are a special place. Giving thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glacier Lodge Road & Waucoba Valley

Headed back to Big Pine and the heat was as expected (105-110) so I chilled at the park and thought I'd wait till after 4PM to start the other two EC rides/recon. Headed over to Glacier Lodge Rd. and rode about 3 miles. Big heat, hard approach to a pretty tough climb. Not much in the way of scenery here - rocks and rocks. The road is narrow, busted up and had a fair amount of traffic - not the least of which were the horse trailers. The descent on this is fairly notorious and it's easy to see why. You have a steep roll-off (10%+), narrow, rutty road, big exposure (1000'+) and traffic. This should be interesting.

Jumped in the truck and headed over the Inyo side of 395 to Death Valley Road for the Waucoba Valley climb. Same deal - a couple miles up and back to truck for recon to the Finish. Not much to say about Waucoba - rock pile, straight up (6-10%) and not much to see. The descent looks kinda cool in that 'Death Valley' kinda way.

Glacier & Waucoba are tough, straight-up climbs - White Mtn. is going to be a big effort after these two.

I need the triple. No way can I see doing this ride w/o one. Great looking stage though - really fine looking finish up on White Mtn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Thanks Obie - great write up and good info. Sounds like you're ready for EC!

Triple sounds not only like a good idea but for me, a necessity. I've done the Onion Valley and Glacier Lodge climbs in the past (several years ago) and they are everything you say. Also have done the Sherwin grade/rock creek climb a couple times. I'm still not capable of understanding how one does all those plus Waucoba and White mountains in just two days. Guess we'll find out soon.

3. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Thanks.

Yea, really - what else is there that even comes close to two days of climbing like this? I'll get the triple and do the best I can.

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    That's some impressive climbing. I've had a couple friends that I ride doubles with and they tell me the EC is one of the toughest rides out there. I might give it a go next year, not sure yet.