Shuttle Buddy "personal shuttle device"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by squishi, Jan 24, 2010.

1. shuttle buddy

shuttle buddy New Member

Home Page:
    "Go Denmo" Go Demo" its your birthday" :beer: get your ride on"

2. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    Denmo,

With all due respect to you and others who like to "shuttle", I think the main cause for concern is being overlooked in your post below.

Yes, it's not the product or the maker that should be bashed. Innovation and the entrepreneurs that bring these innovations to market are the reason why we are able to enjoy many of the great products/ technologies that we do today. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

However, the fact is that the Shuttle Buddy product can be easily attached and unattached to a normally unmechanized bicycle, creates concerns for many of the riders on this board. The obvious concern is that we'll have a few bad apples that get caught using the Shuttle Buddy for illegal mechanized transportation within the U.S. Forest boundaries. Since it is difficult enough for them to to patrol and enforce the area as it is, this product may create the leverage that the anti-mountain biking community needs to shut us out of the best areas - for good!

It would be interesting to find out if the Shuttle Buddy guys have enlisted input from Land Managers as to the acceptability of this product use within the boundaries of their jurisdictions.

No ones undies are getting in a bunch. There are people on this board who legitimately dislike this product and/ or have concerns about the potential misuse of this product and the impact that such misuse may have on the rest of us.

Thanks.

3. jchristopher

jchristopher Member

Wait - this is a real product someone is trying to sell?

I honestly clicked through and thought someone had just registered the website as a joke. I even doublechecked the thread date to make sure it wasn't April Fools.

What an embarrassment to the cycling community.

4. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I really like my shuttle buddy. I wake up, give her a nudge and say, "I am going riding, I need a ride up the hill.", and she drives me on up. ;)

5. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
  6. jchristopher

jchristopher Member

In what area would you ride the fire roads?

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

To mtbski:

Remember I am a bike rider and a Moderator and I feel my opinion counts just as much as yours. And I was respectful and a bit sarcastic too.

No matter how I word "my opinion" someone is going to take offense and yes, I think some peoples undies are in a bunch. :lol: If the guy wants to build it and put it on his bike and ride it to the trailhead, put it in his backpack, hike up the trail and ride down, I'm not going to stop him. If the police want to ticket him because it's illegal, than I guess he'll have to pay the fine, right?

And the beginning of my post said: So, you can't be an entrepreneur or have an innovative product because someone might "misuse" it????

You cannot throw out the baby with the bathwater. I think we need to agree to disagree on this one.

8. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

Awesome!!! :bang:

9. shuttle buddy

shuttle buddy New Member

Home Page:
    If you can shuttle by car on the fire road i wouldnt hesitate but if its clearly an area that is just public access and doesnt allow vehicles to enter at their own free will such as web canyon etc. then i would just push or pedal at that point. Ill ride the fire road up to GMR on the weekdays but i pretty much stay away from all populated areas on the weekends or just go ride some secret spots just because there are to many hikers and such using all trails.Plus on the weekends theres a good chance that you can bum a ride at your local spot or just charge it with your normal crew,at that rate theres no worries anyway.

10. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    Denmo,

Thanks for a classy response. I'm not being sarcastic.

Let's do a hypothetical example here:

1. I use my Shuttle Buddy to ride up Lake Ave and up to Chaney Trail trail head(Fire Rd. that leads straight to the top of Mt Wilson!
    2. I arrive at the Chaney Trail gate, Cars and Motorcycles can't get through, but bikes and bikes with the Shuttle Buddy can.
    3. Nobody is around. What should I do?
    Question: Will I be a good boy and detach the shuttle buddy and try to climb or walk forever on my 45lb Kona Stinky or will I use the motor to take me to the top of the 4'000' climb?

Answer:
    If I'm an out of shape weekend warrior type(apparently the target audience for this product) I'll use the motor and take my chances. Hey, it's midweek and no one is around!

This is the issue that some of the posters on this board are concerned about. We haven't heard much from shuttle buddy regarding this issue.

Where do you stand on this potential abuse?

Are you at all concerned about how misuse of this product can impact our access to the Angeles National Forest and other U.S. Forest Service controlled land?

I commend the shuttle buddy guy on his business savvy. I think he should be able to produce whatever he wants as long as it's legal, no worries.

The ease for potential misuse of this product and it's impact on us all is what worries many. I am confident that the Sierra Club, Equestrians and other trail Nazis will use any misuse of this or other similar motorized bicycles as a strong argument against bicycles in the back country. This is my concern.

Thanks.

11. denmother

^I never said you were sarcastic. I was referring to myself.

12. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    Denmo,

You and Shuttle Buddy and other proponents of shuttle buddy don't have to answer the questions above, that's OK. But by not addressing the 800 Pound Gorrila in the room, it won't go away!

13. denmother

Paging Shuttlebuddy!!!!

14. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    i don't really see what the big fuss is about. if there's really a need for it, then someone will make it, and people will buy it. it reminds me a little of the beginning of tow-in surfing.

but i haven't read hardly any of the posts. i'm just glad "personal shuttle device" isn't a dirty euphemism.

15. Drum n MTB

Drum n MTB Member

Jet Skis are legal to drive in the ocean.

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Not everywhere

17. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    i said: it reminds me a little of tow-in surfing. i don't really care- the legal details tend to get worked out.

:happy friday:

18. shuttle buddy

shuttle buddy New Member

Home Page:
    Personaly,I not out of shape and im not a weekend warrior.And yes i have done that ride and yes i took the buddy off at that point and began my ride just like if you were going to shuttle by car.

Ive got guns to,just loaded them in the car actually cause im headed to vegas for the weekend,Doesnt mean im gonna go on a killin spree.

hypotheticals are a waste of time.I may run out of gas on my way up wilson anyway.

If your fat,Your fat. Point is,You made yourself fat and theres nobody to blame but yourself.And theres not a ban on food is there.

And fat lazy people are not the target audience.Simply the guy who is down to ride and all his friends are lazy and dont want to go because of wives,kids,or a little thing called job.

19. Drum n MTB

Drum n MTB Member

Shuttle Buddy, how would you feel if your product was misused on your regular trail and mountain bikes were banned because of it?

20. shuttle buddy

shuttle buddy New Member

Home Page:
    Hypothetically, Id feel the same way if you bought a gun and shot my dog. Id blame YOU. Not the gun, not the manufacturer, not the dog, but You!