Ride Report Shimano Winter Series #2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by denmother, Jan 24, 2009.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

What an awesome day!!!! Did the 4x clinic with Rich Houseman this morning, then got to put the new skills to the test come race time. Brittany Jackson got to race this round and smoked my butt!!! I tried to catch her, but to no avail. The 2nd moto was the same except for Julia being right on my tail. She came in close and almost took me out but I yelled "Get out of my way, shoved out my right elbow, pushed the bike to the right and pedaled my butt off!!! I ended up 2nd overall and had to work hard to get it. Julia, you did awesome, thanks for being such a good sport!!! Don't take my verbal outbreak personally, it was just an automatic preservation tactic as I have never been that close to someone in a race!!!

Rematch in 2 weeks!!!!:bang:

This is me teasing Julia and giving her a noogie!!!

[​IMG]

2. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I'll have some 4x pics up in a few of people I know of. if you want a pic, I got most everybody. just need a number (and preferably a description). gonna go take a shower first, got a little dirty out there today :bang:

3. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

/\ Awesome!

4. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Ya big meany Nancy.:lol: Im talking about the noogie.;)

5. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

No doubt Nancy!!! Pick on someone your own size!!!!:lol:

Congrat's to everyone!

6. davidB

davidB Active Member

XC - 17 miles

After last race's DNF, I was real anxious to get out there and have a much better race. I knew one guy in my class wasn't going to be there and when I lined up with the 2 others guys in my class I kind of resorted myself to 3rd out of 3. I have a big problem of going way too fast for the first 2 miles and generally feel like crap at the top of the pavement/first climb. Today was no exception, but I was now using a full geared setup which helped tremendously, for a bit.

I asked Donny before the race what had changed, thinking it was going back to the original course, but nope, back to the short course of 2 weeks ago, with an added addition in the back.

They started my class with 2 other classes, for a total of 15 guys but by the pavement climb I was still near the front. The first time up the pavement climb I felt ok but watched the two other guys in my class slowly pull away. I remember passing some of the DH'ers walking their bikes up, thinking, damn, that's what I should be doing. They're not sweating yet, and look like happy folks. I remember coming up next to Mark (mfoga) pushing his bike up the hill, so I chatted up a bit with him for a second or two. Again, I think those guys are on to something.

I remember getting passed by Clint (Upsidedown1) up by the water tower, but didn't really see anyone else out there i knew racing until Brian (BoingBoing) and I were neck and neck at the end of lap 1. I shifted my chain straight into my spokes after the first descent and spent what seemed like forever trying to get it out. I did however catch glimpses of the two guys in my class at various turns ahead of me and only getting farther away. I hung with Brian for lap 2 and had to get used to coming through the start/finish and not stopping like i'm used to.

Climbing the pavement for the 3rd time was something I was definitely not used to, and when shifting to my granny I found out that wasn't happening, and had to middle ring the damn thing. Not fun. I remember coming up next to Chuck (HappyGilmore) thinking, man, everyone I know is doing DH! Why am I doing XC again?! ah yes, because I suck at the downhills. Towards the top of the pavement climb I could see two guys, one in my class, and the unmistakable tall dude, Jeff (J_Sims). I started thinking, if I catch him, is he going to ride his M6 up the hill with me. How demoralizing. Fortunately the turnoff came just before catching him. Woot! Unfortunately I never could catch the one guy in my class that I could see always a turn or two ahead of me.

I finished lap 3, cleared that rocky climb at the end that I got caught up on for the first two laps, and came through the finish line 29 second behind 2nd place. #-o

Within 20 seconds of finishing, I pull up next to Jeff, Mark, Chuck, Brandon completely out of breath, out of water, and get told "hey we're going to subway, you ready?"
    :lol:#-o

edit: apparently the guy that won my class is a pro DH guy or so I was told by Mark and Jeff. He beat me and the other guy by 16 minutes, and had the 2nd or 3rd fastest sport time overall.

7. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    Hey Nancy. I was talking to my son Daven at the track about racing. He kept saying kids were cutting him off. I said " well push them off " not literally (to the chagrin of some parents) its racing dude. We are not playing tiddlywinks. Next race he put a kid over the berm. Oops:lol::lol::lol::lol: Was I wrong???:?:

8. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

I only passed a couple of SSers on the way up the road but paced the guy on the Turner up to the top and he actually said Thank you:bang::bang: I call it Motivation

Good seeing you out there and it is time for a DH bike on your stable

:beer:

9. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

47 & 34 please!!!

10. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Lets see I had a interesting day, did two practice runs and managed to screw up same section twice, first time right leg got caught and ripped me off bike and landed with stomach on seat, then trying to make sure it wouldn't happen I did it again but with the left foot same results.
    And well 4x I think tells the story quite well
    [​IMG]

David that wasnt me that told you to goto subway, maybe Todd? I tried to help push you on the first climb:lol:

11. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

sure thing. gimme a few seconds for some post processing and uploading to photobucket

12. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    Well, on the XC side of things:

They gave us back some of the regular course, plus a new bit. But since it wasn't all of the course, they kept the higher lap counts. Which made for a long race. 17 miles for sport (11-1/3 for beginners--ouch--and 22-2/3 for the big boys). I felt like I got my money's worth!

Seems like everyone said the new section sucked. I'm sure it's a fine trail. It's just that it seemed to be cut with a roto-tiller. Lot's of folks walking sections of it. Guess we just have to give it some time...

Weather was much better than last race, though the trail didn't seem to benefit much from the recent rains. And I didn't get that cooling drizzle I hoped for. I was seriously overheating on my second road climb. And I know I'm not the only one who had to remove fogged sunglasses there.

Turnout seemed low. Mr Plow took first and last place in his category. DavidB only got beat by two guys instead of four :lol: But, of course, everyone in my class showed up. I just can't get a break! One place away from a podium spot! Well that just gives me something to work towards...

There was a report of JSims passing XC racers up the road on his full-on DH bike :lol: I wish he timed it better so that he was passing me--he might have motivated me to shave 30 seconds off my time!

All in all, good times. I was a little too spent to hang out much. I passed on the Subway party cause I wasn't ready for solid food :lol:

13. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    nancy was almost as mean to julia as carter holland was to that little kid.

:D

14. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

somebody yelled "carter holland is a bully!" as he finished that run. he cased the finish jump as a result 8-[

got some sweet pictures:
    Nancy
    [​IMG]

Julia chasing down Nancy
    [​IMG]

Julia
    [​IMG]

Roger
    [​IMG]

and again
    [​IMG]

Compton
    [​IMG]

#47 (dunno who sorry. maybe denmo meant her number, 42)
    [​IMG]

some picture I just liked
    [​IMG]

more where that came from if people tell me what they want

15. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

:lol::lol::lol:

16. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    i snapped some pics with sharky's extra point and shoot, but i also got this one.
    not only does Nancy Bully younger women on the track, but off the track as well :lol:
    [​IMG]

17. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Congrats to Julia, Brittany, Denmo, Lala

I will share Julia's thoughts about her 2nd 4X race for 09. Her first run she was not happy with at all. JSims confirmed her sentiments later on. I will admit it's true first run was rough. 2nd run she did much better. I saw her almost passing Denmother. Denmother wasn't going to make passing her easy. Julia gave the 2nd run her best. On the start of her 2nd run she was right between Britanny and Denmother. Trying to pass Denmother right before the 2nd turn got complicated for her. I think she learned and is ready for the re-match in 2 weeks. The 4X races where really fun to watch today. There was some great competition on the 4X track today.

Julia is asking for a 2nd clinic with Rich Houseman.#-o

Congrats to all the racers out in Fontana today.

18. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    tuff love for Julia huh? I always tell my kids mom when she gets sad for my kids. Its life, they have to learn to deal with loss. Give Julia a noogie for me.:)

19. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    This picture of Julia is FREAK'n AWSOME!!

[​IMG]

Denmo better watch out. I know from experience (riding with my kids) what happens when they finally figure out that they can keep up with us "elders"! #-o:lol: :clap:

Keep on truck'n like the young'ens Denmo! :bang:

Keep it up Julia! :bang:

Great pics Bryan!

20. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Bummed that I had to miss this weekend's festivities. I'll be back in full form in two weeks. I'm pushing back getting my ankle put in a case/or surgery until mid February.