shimano chain didn't come with pin

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by UR2KLOS, Mar 28, 2013.

1. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

I just bought a shimano xtr cn-7701 chain and was surprised that it didn't come with the master pin. Is this normal or did I get ripped off? I went to the Shimano website but it is horrible and doesn't recognize it's own products or part numbers. Thanks.

2. zman

zman WTF ?

Just buy a quick link and call it a day

3. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    100% comes with pin. I used that chain on everything and always got a pin. Go back and get a quick link, MUCH better anyway... Sorry dude.

4. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    The chain should have come with the pin in a little cellophane package. If you can't get one from the seller of the chain, they cost about a buck at any bike store.

5. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    Sometimes its stuck a little ways in the last link. I bought some one time from a place that must buy them in bulk or something, and that's where they put the master pin. Not a used pin, but the master.
    But if not, I second the QuickLink idea.

6. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    should have come with two in a little bag

7. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Thanks. Sounds like it should have come with a pin. I bought the chain from Amazon (I know, serves me right). I went to the Shimano website and they don't take customer emails. I called the customer support number and was put on hold for 10 minutes and I gave up. I know this isn't a big deal but it is frustrating.

8. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Yeah it sucks when someone f's up on your order or in your case the packaging.

9. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Im starting to think the retailers are taking small things out of the packaging. Ive installed so many brakes on bikes an d went to cut the lines to find out the dongle doo hickey wasnt included. such a pain in the butt

10. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

I went to REI because the website said they had 9 speed Shimano pins in stock. I got there and they were out of stock.
    I went to Performance and they were out of stock also. While I was there I looked at their Shimano chains and saw that they did come with a single pin in a really tiny plastic bag that was in the box but was separate from the bag that the chain was in.

I came home and a few hours later it occurred to me that is was possible that the little bag could have fallen out when I opened up the box with my new chain in it. I lifted up the couch cushion and my little Easter miracle was sitting there in its tiny plastic bag. I'm sure you'll all sleep better knowing that this situation has a happy ending. (I owe Amazon an apology but Shimano customer service still sucks.)

11. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    If I went for a pin and it was out of stock I would have spent 2 bucks and just got the quick link. Pins work 50% of the time (I always screw up the first 1) quick links work 100% of the time and work over and over again. Next time buy a SRAM chain and it will come with a quick link

12. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Actually I carry 9 speed quick links and 10 speed quick links with me and have saved 2 people so far on the trails. I figured with a brand new shimano chain I would do what shimano recommends and use a pin.

13. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    dumb question, but if you snap your chain on the trail and its a shimano chain, can you use the sram or kmc quick/power link, or do you only have to use the pins. I only carry the power links :-k

14. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

KMC missing link fits better on Shimano chains. The Sram power lock is slightly tighter, but it fits. I prefer the Sram links because they're lighter. ;)