Share the Road

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Chopper, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
  2. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    I'm all for it. It's a terrific idea. But I'd strengthen that letter a bit with some facts to back up the claim: "Unfortunately, the situation seems to be deteriorating as time goes by, and the list of injured, or worse (killed), cyclists and runners has grown longer."

Well, does it just SEEM to be getting worse or HAS it gotten worse. The figures could take some sleuthing, but I think the letter, and the cause, would be taken more seriously if it could be shown that injuries and deaths of cyclists have indeed, by record, been on the rise. There must be a way of finding that out through CALTRANS.

If a rise can be backed up with official data, that's probably how I would start the letter: "This year so and so was hit and killed by a distracted motorist, leaving behind a wife and two daughters. He is just one of
    110 cyclists killed by vehicles in 2006, showing a steady increase of 38%
    (just a hypothetical #) since 2003...." Lawmakers and government bureaucrats/staffer need facts and figures to get things rolling, not just personal pleas.

PS: I can't wait until that law goes into effect about motorists needing to use hands-free headsets for their phones, even though I'm sure it will be poorly enforced. I think studies show drivers are still considerably disctracted even with hands-free, but it's a good step. Now what to do about the jerks who simply hate bikers who aren't on sidewalks?

3. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    People just need to understand there is a time to drive, and a time to yap, and ne'er should they meet

4. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    this type of driving has gotten out of hand and I have gladly signed the petion.

Chopper check out the thread I just posted, you have to read it to belive it. It just goes to show that we have a lot of work to educate the masses about bicylcist on the road or in fact anywhere!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  5. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    I signed it. We need more bike lanes too! I guess that's why Mt Biking is so much more relaxing. I'd buy a plate that says STAYLEFT!

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    i left a comment saying some funds should be used to continue on bike lanes. i hate riding down a nice bike lane, then all of a sudden, nowhere to go